Half way there

NoDice

I promised I would share my summer-project when I got a bit further along and now most of basic design is up on the test server (still just test content though, only some of it will be there in production). Two pages remain to be styled and some minor touch-ups are left for sure, but the gist of the simple design should be visible. Clean Scandinavian has been the motto. 

Will update to publishable version over the coming week/weeks. I will also clean up the code and do some validation fixing etc during that time. 

Any suggestions, pointers and tips from you pros would be much appreciated (tough love is the ticket). Keep in mind that I am not a pro and that apart from a sole static site I helped a buddy with 10 years ago, this is my first attempt at any of this (html, design, php, cms etc), so spare me the sharpest ax.

A testament to the Processwire excellence - and to all of you helpful souls on this page - is that I have been able to get at least this far with no prior experience, so I would like to extend a heartfelt thanks to Ryan, Soma, Teppo and all the rest of you that have helped form this product in general, and taken the time to help me out on specific questions. You truly rock!

re le vo DOT se/en

• Like 9

Thanks Craig, No, at this point, the English is just stuff I typed down in a hurry to show the multi-language principle. Once we are set on the content (and it passes our local language reviews), I would love the feedback though! I will let you know. 

Det kan man säga, på nåt sätt...jag bodde i Stockholm ett tag sen... ;)

translation [English forum, ahem)....I lived in Stockholm a while back....

Well now you and all the pw-members have my address - whenever in Stockholm, please abuse it - lunch, beer or whatever shall be on me for any supporters of pw!

All the best, 

//dice

• Like 5

Overall very sleek. The Latest News Section looks a bit scattered though, is this intentional? Shot: http://d.pr/i/WTy1

Also, the "read more" buttons are positioned inconsistently. Some have space around them, some don't.

Thanks owzim, and thanks  a lot for your help on ordering! 

Yea, I wanted the "breaking news" section to be kind of a "mess" among the orderly other parts to convey the newspaper feel of breaking events. Hence, I went with differing sizes of images and an option to set the size of news-items in 25, 50, 75 and 100% in the admin. 

You also set the number of items shown on the home-page and the number of words before truncation ("read more" links) in the admin since I wanted all of that to be server side. Won't be perfect, but won't weigh down the client either.

If someone has a better way to do it (lines I guess would rock, but I don't think I want to do fixed sizes), I am certainly open to suggestions. Here is the code I am using now: 

$news_text ="{$newspost->body_01}";
		$read_more = wire("pages")->get("/news/")->read_more_01;
		if (wire("page")->news_item_max_01)
		{
		$max_length = wire("page")->news_item_max_01;
		}
		else
		{
		$max_length = 75;
		}
		$words = preg_split("/[\n\r\t ]+/", $news_text, $max_length + 1, PREG_SPLIT_NO_EMPTY|PREG_SPLIT_OFFSET_CAPTURE);
		if (count($words) > $max_length)
		{
		end($words);
		$last_word = prev($words);
		$news_text_trc =  substr($news_text, 0, $last_word[1] + strlen($last_word[0]));
		$punctuation = ".!?:;,-";
		$news_text_trc = (strspn(strrev($news_text_trc),  $punctuation)!=0)
		?
		substr($news_text_trc, 0, -strspn(strrev($news_text_trc),  $punctuation))
		:
		$news_text_trc;
		$news_text_trc .= "..."; 
		$news_text_trc .= "<a href='{$newspost->url}'>  $read_more »</a>"; 
		$news_text_out = $news_text_trc;
		}
		else
		{
		$news_text_out = $news_text;
		}

I looked again and I realized you meant the links owzim, and yea, I decided to have them in different places (particularly on the news item they are at the bottom aligned left so that the text lines up with the other text). Probably makes sense to change that to make it more uniform, even though I think I will leave them on the bottom for the accordion for space reasons. Thanks for the tip! 

** Edit - Fixed it now owzim, and also fixed the last few pages so now the design is pretty much done for the first version. Should do content and testing and tidying next week and release. Will keep adding functionality over the coming months if things go as planned ** 

• 3 weeks later...

I have now gone "live" at the permanent address: re le vo DOT se/en (DNS may still not be updated from all hosts).

Some items remain to be translated (like the banner texts and most of the news items) but since you asked before Craig; I would now be very happy about any errors or awkward wording that you may spot.  

Of course, a lot of work remain with this site (I have not yet done work on adaptation for old browsers and I hope to implement a lot of new content sections and functions) but even at this early stage, it would be great to know how you think the design, responsiveness and such work. 

Since I opted to go at it from scratch, without templates and such, feedback on stuff like that would be awesome.

And thanks once again for all the valuable help from you, fellow PW:ers!

post-1554-0-18519800-1379017978_thumb.jp

post-1554-0-41451500-1379018475_thumb.jp

post-1554-0-31711000-1379018487_thumb.jp

• Like 4

Some items remain to be translated (like the banner texts and most of the news items) but since you asked before Craig; I would now be very happy about any errors or awkward wording that you may spot.  

The one I noticed previously is now gone or has been corrected, and everything else looks good!

Excellent work though. The overall feel and finish of the site is of a very high standard. I like it :)

Now also powered by ProCache - thanks a lot for your help with our quirky hosting environment Ryan! The work you put in on PW, and to help us get it to work to the fullest of its fantastic potential is nothing short of amazing! 

I would urge everyone that haven't already done so, to try this plugin, and in minutes release the speed potential of the sites we put so much time and effort into creating. 

• Like 2