Form validation translation

JoshoB

I feel like I am missing something obvious or that I somehow haven't been able to find it using the search here or via Google, but my question is, hopefully, a simple one. 

I have to translate a website running on ProcessWire (love it, by the way!) to another language. Everything seems to be going fine, but for the life of me I have no idea how to translate the little error messages that pop up when a form doesn't validate. (I am talking about the forms on the frontend.)

I am using default ProcessWire settings and everything, but I cannot find where these strings are located and they don't turn up in any search through all the available files. If you're uncertain as to what I am talking about, it's the little balloons that pop up and say "Please fill out this field" and the like. 

Your help is much appreciated!

I thought I once chnage the messages language by setting <html lang="de">, but I tried it now again and had no success. Maybe I used some polyfill which did this for me?

Probably you have to use javascript for your custom messages then:

<form>
    <input type="text" required value="" oninvalid="setCustomValidity('Custom Message')"/>
    <input type="submit" value="Submit" />
</form>

http://jsfiddle.net/HdSqt/171/

• 5 years later...

Hello there. I know this is a quite old topic, however I was facing the same issue and fount an easy way to handle the browser errors: 

in my form I had the following:

$first_name_error = translate('Missing first name');

I've added my translation string to _strings.php:

_x('Missing first name', 'General');

And then in my HTML markup I had the following code showing the translation:

<div class="form-group col-lg-6 col-md-12 col-sm-12">
	<input type="text" name="first_name" placeholder="{$first_name}" required="" oninvalid="this.setCustomValidity('{$first_name_error}')" oninput="this.setCustomValidity('')">
</div>

Btw, the same approach was taken for the placeholder as well so $first_name was translated as well in my _strings.php

For sure, @soma suggested long time ago, one can disable all the error messages, however if you would prefer to have the tooltip active, this is a nice and easy way to achieve it. It took me a few hours to find the right approach, so hopefully the next one won't have to spend that much time. So far it worked with Opera, IE, Edge, Chrome. I did not test with Safari, but doubt it won't work as well ?

Spoiler

image.png.f5400423e0ded60c70a09640d0b114cf.png