Johannsmann horse transportation

KentBrockman

Hey,

after many questions here in the forums, (by the way, thank you for the great, fast and straightforward support) we would like to show one of our projects, which we realized using to awesome Processwire.

A designer friend of us asked us to transfer one of her webdesigns into a running website.
The customer is one of Germany's most experienced and well-known horse transportation companies.

The multilingual website is based on Processwire and should be completely responsive, so please feel free to resize your browser or view it on your smartphone or tablet.

http://www.johannsmann-pferdetransporte.de

Currently the customer is about to fill the website with more data. So please don't mind, if some pages are not complete.

Every comment is welcome - either suggestions or constructive criticism.

Thank you so much for this great project and this stunning community!

• Like 7

Although I am not a fan of the colour scheme and I think the colours of the photos are a bit off (too saturated, too contrasty, skin tones look weird), the content is laid out in a very clean and very readable manner. Easy to navigate ... and it's responsive, yay! =)

Good work.

Edit:

I think the wood texture looks like a cheap replica wood veneer you find on 70ies cafeteria tables =)

I don't know why exactly though, maybe it's the wood colour or the straight cut off lines it's pressed into.

Nice one, simple. Also not a fan of the color scheme, but then again, I'm not the target audience :)

My 2 cents - changing the language takes me back to the main page, and not to the translated version of whatever page I'm on. It's a small but many times important difference (specially when receiving a shared link, for instance).

I don't know if you are using the language localized URL module, or creating two sets of pages - I hope it is the former, not the latter. If you are using the module, it is a simple matter of getting the page's url in the given language. If there are two sets of pages, it may be harder.

I agree about the pictures being over-saturated. This might be OK for an Instagram audience, but on a "regular" website, it's a bit over-the-top.

Also, the wooden design elements are a bit too much in some places, e.g. the Europe map http://www.johannsmann-pferdetransporte.de/en/contact/

In the german-language contact form, I'd change the date input format to DE standard tt.mm.jjjj instead of dd/mm/jjjj.

Likewise, change the TT/MM/JJJJ in the english version to dd/mm/yyyy. (it's day, not tay, and year, not jear...)

Here and there, you can still spot some typos, like "Other assests" :-)

Apart from these details / nitpickings, a nice site, with a consistent look + feel.

Out of curiosity: Which PW-version did you use? I'm asking because of major differences how you can handle multilingual sites (2.3.0 stable vs. dev version 2.3.2).

Although I am not a fan of the colour scheme and I think the colours of the photos are a bit off (too saturated, too contrasty, skin tones look weird), the content is laid out in a very clean and very readable manner. Easy to navigate ... and it's responsive, yay! =)

I absoluty with you, especially with the photos. But, as mentioned, the design and the content came from a friendly webdesigner and we only did the implementation into a running website.

Edit:

I think the wood texture looks like a cheap replica wood veneer you find on 70ies cafeteria tables =)

I don't know why exactly though, maybe it's the wood colour or the straight cut off lines it's pressed into.

:) Agree.

My 2 cents - changing the language takes me back to the main page, and not to the translated version of whatever page I'm on. It's a small but many times important difference (specially when receiving a shared link, for instance).

To start again on the main page by changing the language was a customers request.

I don't know if you are using the language localized URL module, or creating two sets of pages - I hope it is the former, not the latter. If you are using the module, it is a simple matter of getting the page's url in the given language. If there are two sets of pages, it may be harder.

We don't use any modules or multilanguage functions build into processwire. The two languages are just two "root"-pages which hold the pages/contents for the languages. We wrote a little snippet that always tells us what the secont level navigation (de/en) is, so we always know, which navigation to load. Very basic and simple, but works fine.

In the german-language contact form, I'd change the date input format to DE standard tt.mm.jjjj instead of dd/mm/jjjj.

Likewise, change the TT/MM/JJJJ in the english version to dd/mm/yyyy. (it's day, not tay, and year, not jear...)

You are right! Thank you for the hint.

Out of curiosity: Which PW-version did you use? I'm asking because of major differences how you can handle multilingual sites (2.3.0 stable vs. dev version 2.3.2).

It's 2.3.0 stable.

Though I'm not a professional designer, to me I think design-wise this site is pretty good (just my view from as a general visitor). The photos don't seem too saturated for me, and I get the vintage, classic feel from them. 

The one issue I catch is that the photos (is the page sliders) load really slow and in staggered stages. I'm not sure why though, as when I check the images they don't seem to be too large of photos. 

I think you've done a good job overall, it's certainly a design that will appeal to the audience more than fellow designers.

One thing I'm not a huge fan of is changing a font-weight or font-style on hover, as is the case with the menu. It changes the space an element takes up and I think detracts from the experience. I always prefer working with subtle colour changes if possible.

• Like 1

I would normally agree with @onjegolders, and I don't care much for slanting the type, changing from regular to Oblicua versions of the typeface, but having tested in chrome & firefox OSX, and ie9, it had no influence on element flow (probably because the types are the same - maybe prepared for this type of situation?)