Calendar / Weekly output... ideas welcome

videokid

Hi,

I'm thinking of creating a website for showing movies.

My idea so far was:

- movies

---> All Movie Titles

- program [or calendar as you like]

---> wednesday 7th of August - Movie 1

---> Friday 9th of August - Movie 2 @ 10.00

---> Friday 9th of August - Movie 2 @ 15.00

---> Sunday 11th of August - Movie 1 @ 21.00

but then I was wondering, maybe inputting a whole week at once might be better... Kinda grid input calendar in the back-end from Wednesday till Thursday.

Wednesday is always the first day of the latest releases, more then one movie can appear on one day but never on the same hour, and when 'latest show' is ticked somewhere [should be in the back-end], the latest movie_show_date should be updated under 'movies'. Actually that last one I something I still haven't figured out in PW...

Ideas, suggestions, would be very welcome...

Thx in advance!

If I understand what you are trying to do correctly, you've got several options: 

• Repeaters
  • Pages / page structure
  • Custom Fieldtype/Inputfield
  • Formatted text

What direction you go depends on how much time you want to put into it, how much it needs to scale and who will be doing the content population. 

Due other obligations personal things are on hold, but this has been flagged as followed...

when time comes I'll update this with my 'solution' [not the right word probably but can't think of anything else atm]...

your suggestion is of course dearly noted!

• 1 year later...

You just want an intuitive admin UI for these or something else?

Just make a custom admin page, calendar, and I'm sure you can use like DataTables or even FullCalendar.io. Arrange the showings pages in the calendar view and have the page editors open in a modal.

I might try this because calendar views tend to come in handy and could be mixed with actual calendar feeds potentially to see everything you need in one place.

What is about use the default jquery UI calendar as inline cal and display events there? Should work with the core and looks nice...

some examples/ideas - but unfortunately no time to try for myself...

basic:

http://jqueryui.com/datepicker/#inline

style:

http://www.hongkiat.com/blog/jquery-ui-datepicker/

add events: (the fiddle demo is working with some tests in march '11)

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5578259/jquery-ui-datepicker-how-to-add-clickable-events-on-particular-dates

may select a range for events:

http://salman-w.blogspot.de/2013/01/jquery-ui-datepicker-examples.html#example-7

Should be easy to adapt as it is a core plugin?

May work with simple childpages as events or pagetable...like i wrote it is sad that my day hasn't 48 hours at the moment...

Hi,

in my case I wasn't really concerned about the UI interface... more on how to integrate...

Should I use repeaters [or pageTables - maybe better?] and edit the movie + adding dates/hours when the movie is played

or

create a page [eg. program], add each day and then select the movie [in this case pageTables is probably advised].

Nevertheless, I'm really interested on how this topic will grow....

Greetings...

I haven't even used PageTables yet but aren't those both (PT & Repeater) just different ways of managing pages? Everything's a page. 

I don't know if you mean to have one or multiple programs... so... you probably can just achieve what you want with PageTables or Repeater, just test out both. I just don't know what you want. But I would really like to get a calendar viewer of some sort up... where you can select templates to include or exclude and corresponding start & end datetime fields, if other than the default created.

I really wanted to get FullCalendar to work, I've been trying to include the jQuery 1.11.1 to try to noconflict it in but I don't know what I'm doing but sadly it's not working. 

I'll check out the UI datepicker, thanks Mr. Fan. 

Hey I got FC working! Woohoooo

With AdminCustomPages module, in my admin page scripts and styles in its settings:

calendar.js:

var jq111 = jQuery.noConflict(true);
jq111(function() {
	jq111("#calendar").fullCalendar({
	    header: {
	      left: 'prev,next today',
	      center: 'title',
	      right: 'month,agendaWeek,agendaDay'
	    },
	    //defaultDate: '2014-11-12',
	    editable: true,
	    eventLimit: true, // allow "more" link when too many events
	    events: [
	      {
	        title: 'All Day Event',
	        start: '2014-11-01'
	      },
	      {
	        title: 'Long Event',
	        start: '2014-11-07',
	        end: '2014-11-10'
	      },
	      {
	        id: 999,
	        title: 'Repeating Event',
	        start: '2014-11-09T16:00:00'
	      },
	      {
	        id: 999,
	        title: 'Repeating Event',
	        start: '2014-11-16T16:00:00'
	      },
	      {
	        title: 'Conference',
	        start: '2014-11-11',
	        end: '2014-11-13'
	      },
	      {
	        title: 'Meeting',
	        start: '2014-11-12T10:30:00',
	        end: '2014-11-12T12:30:00'
	      },
	      {
	        title: 'Lunch',
	        start: '2014-11-12T12:00:00'
	      },
	      {
	        title: 'Meeting',
	        start: '2014-11-12T14:30:00'
	      },
	      {
	        title: 'Happy Hour',
	        start: '2014-11-12T17:30:00'
	      },
	      {
	        title: 'Dinner',
	        start: '2014-11-12T20:00:00'
	      },
	      {
	        title: 'Birthday Party',
	        start: '2014-11-13T07:00:00'
	      },
	      {
	        title: 'Click for Google',
	        url: 'http://google.com/',
	        start: '2014-11-28'
	      }
	    ]
	});
});

It's a beautiful start, there are minor CSS fixes to be made but that's the least of my concerns.

• Like 1

I haven't even used PageTables yet but aren't those both (PT & Repeater) just different ways of managing pages? Everything's a page. 

I don't know if you mean to have one or multiple programs... so... you probably can just achieve what you want with PageTables or Repeater, just test out both. I just don't know what you want. But I would really like to get a calendar viewer of some sort up... where you can select templates to include or exclude and corresponding start & end datetime fields, if other than the default created.

I really wanted to get FullCalendar to work, I've been trying to include the jQuery 1.11.1 to try to noconflict it in but I don't know what I'm doing but sadly it's not working. 

I'll check out the UI datepicker, thanks Mr. Fan. 

Great to hear - please share your success - very interested in this topic.

Indeed AdminCustomPages is very nice for own backend pages with some special features...may you setup the fc overview and get the editing link via the backend modal on the single events this should work like here (i used this for images and docs):

<?php
// Bilderübersicht Custom Admin Page
?>
<style type="text/css" media="screen">
	/**
	 * larget magnific popup
	 */
	.mfp-iframe-holder .mfp-content {
		max-width: 1200px!important;
	}
</style>
<script type="text/javascript">
$(document).ajaxComplete(function() {

//add trigger class and modal setup
		$('.PageListActionEdit a').each(function(){
		    $(this).addClass("lb-edit").attr("href",$(this).attr('href')+"&modal=1");
		});

$('.PageListActionNew a').each(function(){
			$(this).addClass("lb-edit").attr("href",$(this).attr('href')+"&modal=1");
		});

//setup lightbox
		$('.lb-edit').magnificPopup({
			type: 'iframe',
			disableOn: 0
		});
});

</script>

<?php

//get Magnific css and js
$this->modules->get('JqueryMagnific');

//render PageListtree with setting the parent page
$formImages = $this->modules->get('InputfieldForm'); // prep the form
$wrapperImages = new InputfieldWrapper; // a wrapper
$wrapperImages->attr('value', '<h2>Bilder</h2>');
$i = $this->modules->get('ProcessPageList'); // get the pagelist process
$i->set('id', 1015); // setting the parent page
$pageTreeImages = new InputfieldMarkup; // the placeholder
$pageTreeImages->value = $i->execute(); // fill the InputfieldMarkup form field...
$wrapperImages->add($pageTreeImages); // put inside the wrapper...
$formImages->append($wrapperImages); // append the wrapper

echo $formImages->render();

i used this to trigger the editlinks open in a modal - you can build the links to the events yourself and use the JqueryMagnific plugin from the admin backend, too....and yes all are pages and if you build your events admin backend - you just need a event-root and a event template and a hidden pagetree for them and you're fine ;)

for the mr. fan i could say there is more to the "mr" than you might think:

http://www.acronymfinder.com/MR.html

(choose one meaning ;) )

i like this one because i love the country (it's a holliday wish)

best regards mr-fan (aka maybe MoreRespectful -fan who knows...)

I'll just call you Sir Fan. The MR acronym has too many options to choose from. I hear only great things about Costa Rica though, for sure.

Anyway I had added magnific popup to edit them from the calendar already; but my calendar view isn't supposed to replace the page list view or whatever you have, just supplement it, with more than one type of event and varying start/end date assignments (like a listing template could be included in two group instances: one with the start date = created and no end date, to mark its creation, and another with the date_sold instead; and the event template only need be instantiated once and can use date_start and date_end for a range). 

I got the basic functionality going, now trying to make it into its own module and take it a bit further... keyword "trying"...

Great - if you like to share code or need advice/testing write a PM or post here.

You are right my link/example only means the embedding/usage of the core Popup for editing - not the pagetree stuff....

Would be a pleasure to work together on this since i need a simliar function/thing (cal overview on events as pages) this year, too.

It's not on my "burning" list - so i've not spend time on this topic....but i'm shure i could help a little.

Best Regards (Martin) aka mr-fan

• 1 month later...