Mannheim Mosque

wishbone

My first PW project – the new responsive site for the Yavuz Sultan Selim Moschee in Mannheim.

Two languages (still using LanguageLocalizedURL module to date), sticky menue, gallery with swipe gestures (photoswipe).

Forms for a tour request and prayer times parsed via snippet.inc in a template.

Thx for the essential help of the community – without them I couldn't have done it.

It was more fun in PW than it was in modX which was my former beloved CMS... the flexibility which PW gives even to a non-coder is fantastic.

• Like 6

Thx!

As for the prayer times: that's a big problem, because every organisation uses their own method of calculation.

The one I used was already implemented and is pulled from a database... but it's not correct ;-) For turkish organisations, diyanet is the reference - and I'm still working on a method to implement it into the site... I'll probably have to fill the database manually...

I also tried praytimes.js which is very handy and feature rich - but doesn't give the correct times...

• 4 weeks later...

Nice site, although I don't think the bold font for the menu and headlines are too good of a fit. But I know it's not an easy task to do design work for "oriental" themes. The Shangri La hotel chain has some nice CI.

Oh I remember having to deal with those prayer times back in 2009 when doing something for the Medina Mosque. It's very weird, and I learned that even Moslems can get confused by it =) and there are dozens of slightly different algorithms out there.

I heard about one instance where printed calendars had to be redone because of some calculation differences.

• Like 1

But I know it's not an easy task to do design work for "oriental" themes.

They don't want "oriental style", they want to not be identified as "special" or "oriental"...

I heard about one instance where printed calendars had to be redone because of some calculation differences.

Yes, big problem, though the instuctions from the Kuran are for what you see and can't be calculatetd... if ie there is a mountain, aksam will be earlier - because the instruction is: you can't distinct a black and a white thread...

well, I'm not going to start a discussion...

Only, it took me a long time to find out how to do that, and it's still not solved