TextformatterImageInterceptor

Martijn Geerts

TextformatterImageInterceptor

( Textformatter module )

Let editors use WYSIWYG images, but let you control the image size, aspect ratio & behaviour.

How to install

• Copy the TextformatterImageInterceptor.module file to your /site/modules/ directory (or place it in /site/modules/TextformatterImageInterceptor/).
  • Click check for new modules in ProcessWire Admin Modules screen. Click install for the module labeled: "Image Interceptor".
  • Go to the module config screen and set the settings you wish.

How to use

• Edit your body field in Setup > Fields (or whatever field(s) you will be placing controlled images in). On the details tab, find the Text Formatters field and select "Image Interceptor". Save.

About the settings

Render Inline styles

• If checked, some inline styles are added to the image.

High Density

• Double the pixel width of an image if the percentage is not set. (fixed image size)

Default there are settings for landscape & portrait images. Squared images will inherit all settings belonging to portrait settings and there's a way to escape the default settings. But before we dive deeper in tagged sets I want to spread some light on the landscape/portrait settings. All images portrait/landscape wil get the class name .default.

ps, All images including tagged set images get the image orientation as class (.landscape / .portrtait) 

Percentage

• The width of the image in percentage. This setting makes the image responsive or if left blank the image wil be fixed size. Images receive a .responsive and a .p-50 class (where 50 is the width in percentage)

Width

• The width of the image in pixels. So the width of the image in percentage and the pixel width combined wil be the key to pixel desity.

Alignment

• There are 5 different ways to align an image. leftcenterrightinherit (inherits from the WYSIWYG editor) and not aligned.

• If render inline styles is checked the aligment wil be set directly in the inline style of the image. Alignment classes wil be added to the image.

Aspect Ratio (cropping)

• if an aspect ratio is given, the image will be cropped to the given ratio. If you type 2:1 in the landscape settings. Images 800 pixels wide, will be croped to a 800x400 image. The image gets the following classes: .cropped and .crop-2x1

Image Captions

Type here your class name(s) for the caption. When a class name is provided and an image has a description, the image is wrapped (if not already) and *has-* is set in front of the class name(s). For the caption a div is created with the class name(s) and the image description as text.

Next to these settings. You can give custom classes to images. This way you can give it framework specific classes for example. And you're allowed to wrap the images with custom HTML. (Some frameworks needs additional HTML to make images more fancy) Then additional styles could be added to images if render inline styles is checked.

Tagged sets

Tagged sets are an image tag followed by settings specific for images with that tag.

To enable tagged sets, the image field need "Use Tags?" to be checked. Go to setup, then fields go to your image field and under the details tab check "Use Tags?".

Taged sets are a good way to escape the default image behaviour. Say you have a bunch of nicely ordered images on the page, but you want to show a company logo on 150px floated left. With tagged sets it's no problem. type: (logo 150px left) on one line and you've created your first tagged set. (don't forget to tag the image to)

If you want captions for a tagged set, keep in mind that captions need at least 1 class. The format to enter: caption.class-name

For an image wrapper we use the same rules. The only difference is we start typing wrapper followed by class names starting with a dot. example: wrapper.logo.stand-out.

You can have a multitude of sets, every set on it's own line. Every set needs at least a tag-name and a pixel width.

Note: If you use a wrapper or captions (wrapper will be created if none is set), the inline styles and specific width & alignment classes will be set to the wrapper and removed from the image. This way no duplication of styles wil take place.

post-577-0-67643900-1375184786_thumb.png

github

modules directory

Edited by Martijn Geerts
  • Like 14

WOW! Martijn I love this idea, fantastic. I see this becoming a must-have for many of my clients. Thanks.

PS: I'm ok with the name, but if we're suggesting hmmmmnnn, maybe ImageInterceptor or ImageMaster  ...  ImageCommander or simple ImageRules?

• Like 1

@adam a recognizable (can see what it does name) has my preference. I like the name ImageInterceptor all though it sounds a little to advanced for the task it does. I will keep this name in mind.

@Marty, squared images are now considered as portrait. In my experience most customers just drop in images if they can ( I almost always disable image input in WYSIWYG )

I can think of using image tags on the image field to give some control. When giving images a tag of logo. it wil be less wide then other images. or have a higher density of pixels. (Soma had a nice math script for "visual image weight", calculation also based on aspect ratio)

• Like 1

I'm on vacation, but the yesterday it starts with rain. (little spare time & good excuse to continue this module).

A lot of progress is made with this module, It's now to the point of testing / bug fixing & fine tuning. I've added it to the modules directory and it is in a pending state.

If you have a little spare time, please test this module.

Thank You,

Martijn.

• Like 1

Ok, I just installed your module but I don't want to use the percent, width etc settings. I really just want the captions option. So, I emptied those dimensions fields, but the width is a required field. Can you have an option to disable this part of interceptor's options?

Also, noticed that it resizes images up. I wonder if those dimension settings should be max so that images will only be sized down (or at least make it an option) - sizing up could result in some blurry images.

Minor text correction: 

Append the style attribut to images.

should be "attribute"

• Like 1

Changed the typo.

Width is required right now. Didn't thought about using this module for captions only.

(Module was meant for the evil editors who messes up your site with all different sizes & alignments etc.)

I will think off inheriting the size of the image.

And I put the "get alt text from original rte, with fallback to image->description." as todo

(if you want captions only, consider Teppo's solution. )

Yeah, I see that is has evolved for sure :)

I actually don't think you should necessarily grab the alt text from the RTE as the default. Maybe make it an option. See my reasoning in the first two bullet points in this post: http://processwire.com/talk/topic/1344-captions-for-images-in-tinymce/?p=40291. This is why Teppo's solution doesn't work for me.

One more thing - it seems the pattern match for the Additional Inline Styles field is maybe a little off. 

You are using:

([\w-]+:[0-9\w .]+;\s?)+

But this doesn't allow for # which is necessary if someone wants to add a hex color, eg: color:#990000;

I think you should also include an example of the required format here, eg: font-size:0.8em; making note that the ";" is also required. I actually had to look at the source of the page to see the regex to figure out what to enter here :)

I'm in a restaurant now, will come back on this topic tomorrow. I love all the input you give! Lets make an awesome module.

Today we go for a few days to bratislava, so I don't know if I have the time to come back on the topic within the next few days.

ps, I removed the pattern for the inline style at all & updated the source code on git.

Edited by Martijn Geerts
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just installed ImageInterceptor but getting the following error on rendering:

PHP Notice: Undefined offset: 0 in C:\CustomerData\webspaces\webspace_00125655\wwwroot\pw.appsolo.com\site\modules\TextformatterImageInterceptor\TextformatterImageInterceptor.module on line 172
PHP Notice: Undefined offset: 0 in C:\CustomerData\webspaces\webspace_00125655\wwwroot\pw.appsolo.com\site\modules\TextformatterImageInterceptor\TextformatterImageInterceptor.module on line 172

I have a single image in a body field (textarea), created using CKEditor. I added the image to an Image field and selected that single image in the WYSIWYG editor. The module is installed with no errors. Any ideas?

Thanks,

J

UPDATE: wiped the images from the Image field in the same page. Deleted any references in the body field to the (now missing) image. Then added the same image to the Image field and dragged into the body. Now working. Clue?

The errors (notices) tell me that the wrapper couldn't split up in two parts. The wrapper should have a double pipe || to split.

Can you tell me more about the problem.

- Version of PW,

- Is it a single or multiimage field.

- etc.

(Textformatters order is important thing as one formats the other. )

• 1 month later...

Hey Martijn,

I just sent you a pull request to add the ability to specify the maximum filesize for an image once inserted in an RTE.

I needed this functionality because clients were uploading very high resolution images and embedding those - nasty! Training only works for some people and only some of the time :)

The interceptor will automatically compress this image until it reaches the limit specified in the module settings.

If the limit is set too low, it can obviously result in some poor quality images. I wonder if it would be good to have a bit of a sliding scale for this setting based on the physical dimensions that the image is going to be displayed at.

Let me know what you think and definitely feel free to ignore, or give me your ideas for a different approach. I am also open to making this a separate module if you'd prefer.