Large db & partnership possibilities

kalmtl

I am the co-founder of a gaming platform, and I have the fun task of building a new architecture for the entire thing. I am leaning on going with ProcessWire. 

Would appreciate some help from the community here. I have a question below, and a partnership opportunity. 

- Would it be technically possible to import a massive database (MySQL) that contains games, info, user info, etc.? 

I am looking at rebuilding the entire platform but I need to keep the current data as a starting point. 

On to the next topic. I've spent the last 15 years working in international software business development. (selling and marketing). I used to be a coder, but I'm practically starting from scratch. 

If there's anyone who wants to collaborate, I would be interested in networking. I have a lot of contacts and could surely get something going with the right partner. My primary objective is to get the aforementioned platform going for now, but once I get a handle on this, I could surely get a multitude of contracts... In fact one of my contacts already went with PW which is how I found out about it.

Kal

Hi Kal,

I don't know how big your massive database is but this topic may be of interest: http://processwire.com/talk/topic/3987-cmscritic-development-case-study/ I don't think the database was massive but Ryan explains how he imported WordPress db into PW. There are nice example scripts there.

IMHO, I am no db expert but I don't think the question about importation is the crucial issue here. I think, rather, it is about replicating and maintaining the data relations in your massive db, making decisions on how best to achieve this, etc. But am sure you know this :);). You'll get a better answer from the others.

Massive is a relative thing. If you talk about millions of pages it could be massive. If you compare with facebook it's tiny.

I think the big issue is the disc space & how much files could be indexed by the file system.

If you go over the limit a filesystem can handle there could be a "problem". If it is that big think about how to handle your assets.

There are a lot of post on this forum about scale, give your self time to investigate. 

You're right, it is relative. I have a db of over 1200 games, and a membership count of 100,000 users. Not quite a million pages. 

However, migrating the db over is a crucial issue for me to go ahead. I will scour around this forum and investigate more and learn more about PW. 

Thanks for your help. Further comments, feedback is welcome since I'm a newbie here. :-)

Not a large database compared to what you're looking at, but I completed this personal project early last year which was a lot of fun with ProcessWire: http://www.strategycore.co.uk

I assume your project would be this one: http://www.gamobot.com/ ? I don't see any issues with the size of your database, but there are little tricks with ratings like even if you have an individual table row for each time someone rates a game (so they can't rate it more than once) then be sure to cache the average rating against the game itself so you're not adding up thousands of rows for that simple number. All general scalability suggestions you've probably already addressed in the current iteration :)

Pete:

You got that right, it is gamobot.com... 

Not a bad job on strategycore.co.uk! 

I'm starting to see that the size of the db won't be an issue... I need to align my strategy to migrate it which is going to be fun. I better stock up on Aspirin! :-)

• Like 1