Password not working after installing on server

Alicia

Hey there!

Yesterday I installed PW on my server and imported the DB from my local installation. Everything was going fine until today, when suddenly the admin password wouldn't work. On the login page I get the error "login failed," even though the password is absolutely correct. I uninstalled PW and tried a fresh install, and the first time after my login expired, I got the same error message, even though, again, the password is correct.

Could this be some sort of server set up issue? I tried the "forgot password" module and haven't gotten an email. I also tried the code snippet I found in another thread to reset the password, and that didn't work either.

Any insight would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Still not working, unfortunately. :(

EDIT: I'm definitely a novice when it comes to setting up servers, file permissions, and importing databases, so it's very likely I made a really simple mistake somewhere.

@Alicia,

have you considered just moving the whole site to the server (not installing PW)?

That's how i always do it and never have a problem... 3 easy steps:

1.) upload the site files

2.) create the database (cPanel makes this easy) & import your sql file

3.) enter the new database connection settings in the site/config.php

• Like 1

I have the same behave when uploading from local with PHP 5.3.12 to online shared host with PHP 5.2.12 But I use the 'forgot your password?' link once and then everything works fine.

I can use the Password recovery with the account name or the email-address.

PHP  5.3.12    ->   5.2.12        MySQL  5.5.13    ->   5.1.66

• Like 1

One useful thing to do when having issues like this (if you haven't already done it) is to check your site log files (/site/assets/logs/errors.txt) and - if the site isn't public yet - try turning debug mode on. This could reveal something about the issue.

What @horst is referring to sounds like it could be related to blowfish support.. but that should throw an exception which in turn should be difficult to miss. Anyway, that could also be related to the issue here. PHP version info would be helpful to make sure if that's really the case.

And ultimately, as @horst already pointed out above, password recovery is your friend here :)

Alicia, what PHP version are you using locally and on the server? There can be password issues when going between PHP 5.3 and 5.2 since PHP supports stronger password options than 5.2. Does the pass stop working just during migration from server to server, or is it happening randomly?

Thank you for the help, everyone! 

My local machine is running version 5.4.10 and the server is running version 5.2.14.

There's nothing in the logs folder. I'll turn on debug mode and see if that helps. Otherwise, I'll try @Macrura's suggestion.

There's nothing in the logs folder.

Hi Alicia,

What do you mean by this?...that there is no errors.txt file or that it is present but not reporting anything?

Even with @Macrura's suggestion, if the problem is the differences in PHP versions, that still won't solve your problem I suspect. Let's hope am wrong :). Are you able to change your server's PHP version to 5.4?

Edited by kongondo

If I remember correctly passwords created with PHP 5.4 are not working with 5.2 (different cryptography used). So you need to reset your admin password.

Yes...Horst mentions this above :)

I have the same behave when uploading from local with PHP 5.3.12 to online shared host with PHP 5.2.12 But I use the 'forgot your password?' link once and then everything works fine.

I can use the Password recovery with the account name or the email-address.

PHP  5.3.12    ->   5.2.12        MySQL  5.5.13    ->   5.1.66