Ryan Pierce

Inline Images and Markdown

Is there a way to use the ProcessWire API to insert images into the text of a Markdown field?

Something kind of like this:

<?php $image1 = $page->image->url; ?>

![This is my image](<?=image1?>)

The end goal here is to be able to write posts in a Markdown-like way but have ProcessWire handle all of the image paths and ordering.

It isn't, not with 'vanilla' PW.

But there are already some modules that can give you this – search http://modules.processwire.com/ and it's pretty simple to roll your own.

In case you want to build micromodule for yourself, to learn a little, do following:

- create textformatter module – you'll add it to the textarea (before md parsing!)

- comeup with some combination of letters not naturaly used in text

- capture the text

- find correct picture for it

- replace the original text with pictures URL

done. When I did this last time (can't share code due to licensing issues, but it was fun to build it nevertheless), it took something like 20-30 lines to do it (excluding PW's module structure), so… pretty simple. :)

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By DooM
      Hey guys,
      I'm using Form builder module by Ryan and I'm trying to render HTML success message after form is sent using value from this field:

but it renders exactly as it is written in the field, not as HTML. To render it I just use echo
      <?= $successMessage ?> What am I missing?

Thanks for any help. 🧒
    • By clsource
      Hello, A friend posted a question about how obtain the markdown code for a image when you are using the markdown editor.
      Here I created a module just for that.

You can download it here.

https://github.com/NinjasCL/InputfieldImageMarkdownCodeAdditionalFields

cheers.

• By Robin S
      A proof-of-concept module.
      ImageToMarkdown
      Alt+click an image in Page Edit to copy an image markdown string to clipboard.
      Usage
      Install the ImageToMarkdown module.
      Alt+click an image in Page Edit to copy an image markdown string to clipboard. If the "Description" field is populated it is used as the alt text.

https://github.com/Toutouwai/ImageToMarkdown
    • By gerritvanaaken
      I’m using the core-embedded TextformatterMarkdownExtra module, but I do not like the autolinking of URLs. Can it be turned off somehow, or do I have to install a custom Textformatter plugin which has this option turned off?
    • By phil_s
      While looking for a way to add target="_blank" to markdown formatted fields I came across these little gems in the TextformatterMarkdownExtra.module (in the wire>modules>textformatter folder, I'm running v3.0.33). Turns out someone (Ryan? Did you add this?) already thought of it:
      /** * A couple RCD extentions to MarkDown syntax, to be executed after Markdown has already had it's way with the text */ protected function markdownExtensions(&$str) { // add id attribute to a tag, when followed by a #myid if(strpos($str, '>#')) $str = preg_replace('/<([a-z][a-z0-9]*)([^>]*>.*?)(<\/\\1>)#([a-z][-_a-z0-9]*)\b/', '<$1 id="$4"$2$3', $str); // add class attribute to tag when followed by a .myclass if(strpos($str, '>.')) $str = preg_replace('/<([a-z][a-z0-9]*)([^>]*>.*?)(<\/\\1>)\.([a-z][-_a-z0-9]*)\b/', '<$1 class="$4"$2$3', $str); // href links open in new window when followed by a plus sign, i.e. [google](http://google.com)+ if(strpos($str, '</a>+')) $str = preg_replace('/<a ([^>]+>.+?<\/a>)\+/', '<a target="_blank" $1', $str); // strip out comments // if(strpos($text, '/*') !== false) $text = preg_replace('{/\*.*?\*/}s', '', $text); // if(strpos($text, '//') !== false) $text = preg_replace('{^//.*$}m', '', $text); }  
      Adding:
      $f->addOption(self::flavorRCD, 'RCD extentions'); after line 107 of the file, adds an option field which you can handily check from the module's config screen in the admin. Now, the question I should have asked before doing this is:
      Does changing that have any detrimental effect on things I don't know about yet? : )
      Would be great if someone with actual knowledge on this could chime in before I shoot myself in the foot (There must be a reason why this is not active by default?)
      Cheers guys!
      Phil