LanguageFieldTabs

adamspruijt

• 5 months later...

First time using this module (the core version). I have the module installed, and 4 LanguageText fields. How do I make them into tabs? I assumed there would be a new field type that I wrap them in, but nothing is showing.

Running the latest dev

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, there is something definitely going wrong. Once again i installed a new blank PW 2.5.2. Starting with no language support activated, but 4 language modules listed under core modules

Languages Support
Languages Support - Fields
Languages Support - Page Names

Languages Support - Tabs.

Installing one by one everything is fine until Tabs. I got an error message about an missing ID (Sorry i ve been to fast and closed message without copying).

Afterwards listing core modules the Languages Support - Tabs module wasnt listed anymore...

So... any ideas anybody? :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just ran into some issues as well with several javascript errors like "setupLanguageTabs is not defined".

Looks like I had an old "templates-admin" folder in my /site/ folder. Deleting this fixed my issues.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Having the same problem here, I investigated a little and found a bug and a workaround.

First, there is a bug in LanguageTabs.module, lines 83 and 84. This prevents the JS and CSS file from being found.

Wrong:

$this->config->scripts->add($this->config->urls->LanguageTabs . "LanguageTabs.js");
$this->config->styles->add($this->config->urls->LanguageTabs . "LanguageTabs.css");

Right:

$this->config->scripts->add($this->config->urls->LanguageSupport . "LanguageTabs.js");
$this->config->styles->add($this->config->urls->LanguageSupport . "LanguageTabs.css");
But this doesn’t solve the bug that the module doesn’t show up in the Core section of the module list. The quick and dirty workaround to fix this: Move the file LanguageTabs.module from directory /wire/modules/LanguageSupport to /wire/modules 

Unfortunately I have no idea why this fixes the problem. I have not found any hint in any file which would indicate that ProcessWire doesn’t like the file LanguageTabs.module in the subdirectory /wire/modules/LanguageSupport

• 1 month later...

This is probably a future topic:

I'm wondering, if it's possible to divide the page content into tabs for each language? (in order to avoid having tabs for every textfield)

Let's say there would be just one tab per language next or below to the page content-tab. (e.g. could be called LanguagePageTabs) Wouldn't this be nice and resulting in a cleaner interface while editing? 

Especially with a couple of different languages and a few more content-fields I would find it easier to keep track of the content. 

Then of course the question is how to handle Non-MultiLanguageFields, which will have to be not editable and grayed out for example.

I guess such a different approach is a bit out of range for this great module. 

But anyway, I just want to share my thought.

P.s.

Because I only have a dozen pages with slightly a different structure and different images, I'm considering to build separate trees without using the multi-language modules. I stumbled upon the PageReferencesTab Module and my idea is to use it for referencing the different page-languages with the default one. 

This way the editor can jump from a page with the default language to a referenced different one. This is the idea so far  ;)

I'm wondering, if it's possible to divide the page content into tabs for each language? (in order to avoid having tabs for every textfield)

Let's say there would be just one tab per language next or below to the page content-tab. (e.g. could be called LanguagePageTabs) Wouldn't this be nice and resulting in a cleaner interface while editing? 

Especially with a couple of different languages and a few more content-fields I would find it easier to keep track of the content.

You could build this by yourself with language alternate fields and fieldset tab: http://processwire.com/api/multi-language-support/multi-language-fields/#language-alternate-field-values. It's a lot more clicking to get this does, but it does work.

I think a automatic way wouldn't work as easily, as you can't depend on users having only a single tab with fields and duplicating 3 or 4 (or even more) tabs for each language will quite fastly lead to something, that's less clear than the current way. Maybe a "global" switch to change all fieldtabs of a page to the selected language would have the same effect, while keeping the current structure.

• Like 1