Alex

Install problem: fail ICONV Support

Hi,

Having installation problems with a new host.

I used the site profile exporter to pull my site from another host, and installed on a new hosting space.

I got this message at the Compatibility Check stage:

fail: ICONV Support

post-165-0-92859600-1371775484_thumb.jpg

I pushed on regardless and it seemed to install OK.

I can get into the admin but when I go to edit a page I get this error:

Error:     Call to undefined function iconv() (line 149 of /home/fagerhu/public_html/pw/wire/core/Sanitizer.php)
This error message was shown because you are logged in as a Superuser. Error has been logged.

Anyone seen this before?

Alex

Its Liquid Web (US) but via a local web developer company, so its just a stripped back c-panel. I do have access to phpMyAdmin – if it makes any difference.

Hoping someone can shed some light on it before I speak to them so I know what it means.

It sounds like iconv isn't installed on the server - just need to ask Liquidweb to install it for you - that's all.

I'm guessing the person who runs the hosting has a VPS package as usually they don't have many modules installed by default.

if you want information as to what iconv actually does I'd suggest Googling it, but all the error during install is telling you is that a required module isn't installed and you need it to use ProcessWire properly.

In fact, here you go - looks like something to do with supporting different languages/characters: http://www.php.net/manual/en/intro.iconv.php

• Like 1

I've yet to come across a host that doesn't have iconv support. This one comes with PHP and the only way to remove it is to specifically disable it when you compile PHP. Sometimes when dealing with smaller hosts (or those running their own server/VPS) they disable everything they don't recognize. Since iconv is part of PHP's core distribution, it's not something a host should disable unless they are only hosting a single site that they know doesn't need it. Most likely LiquidWeb does have it enabled, but the VPS owner compiled PHP without it. I think the best thing to do here is to ask them to enable it, along with any other PHP core features they may have disabled. Though since your installer didn't report anything else, iconv may be all you need. I don't think ProcessWire uses iconv() anywhere other than the pageName sanitizer, so if you don't want to wait on the host, you could always try modifying that line to an alternate solution. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the info on ICONV, the web host has enabled it so its working now.

cheers

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Robin S
      After forgetting the class name of the wonderful AdminPageFieldEditLinks module for what feels like the 100th time I decided I needed to give my failing memory a helping hand...
      Autocomplete Module Class Name
      Provides class name autocomplete suggestions for the "Add Module From Directory" and "Add Module From URL" fields at Modules > New.
      Requires ProcessWire >= v3.0.16.
      Screencast

Installation
      Install the Autocomplete Module Class Name module.
      Configuration
      Add Module From Directory
      Choose the type of autocomplete suggestions list: "Module class names from directory" or "Custom list of module class names". The latter could be useful if you regularly install some modules and would prefer a shorter list of autocomplete suggestions. The list of class names in the modules directory is generated when the Autocomplete Module Class Name module is installed. It doesn't update automatically (because the retrieval of the class names is quite slow), but you can use the button underneath when you want to retrieve an updated list of class names from the directory. Add Module From URL
      If you want to see autocomplete suggestions for the "Add Module From URL" field then enter them in the following format:
      [autocomplete suggestion] > [module ZIP url]
      Example: RepeaterImages > https://github.com/Toutouwai/RepeaterImages/archive/master.zip Awesomplete options
      The "fuzzy search" option uses custom filter and item functions for Awesomplete so that the characters you type just have to exist in the autocomplete suggestion item and occur after preceding matches but do not need to be contiguous. Uncheck this option if you prefer the standard Awesomplete matching. Custom settings for Awesomplete can be entered in the "Awesomplete options" field if needed. See the Awesomplete documentation for more information.  
      https://github.com/Toutouwai/AutocompleteModuleClassName
      https://modules.processwire.com/modules/autocomplete-module-class-name/
    • By gregg
      While trying to install 3.0.123, i encountered the following error: 
           Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '[' in /home/naucom5/public_html/wire/core/FunctionsAPI.php on line 469
      In cPanel, i extracted the zip file to 'public_html', which created the directory 'processwire-master', and then moved the files from 'processwire-master' to 'public_html' (which previously had 1 unrelated directory).
      Installation went well choosing Uikit profile, including connecting to database. Compatibility check ok (mod_rewrite error cleared after recheck), successful database connection, config.php saved, unchecked a few cleanup items, then the error message.
      Any suggestions appreciated. 
    • By Inxentas
      I love the option to export fields via the CMS, and wondered about using that export data in a module. Basicly, I'd want to configure a field using the CMS and then paste it's export data in the module code as a string, or save it in a seperate file I can read from the module code. Once I have that string as a variable or file, I'd want to run the same code the import option does... but then from my module code's install method!
      Is that possible? It would save a lot of time configuring fields through the API.
    • By Johannes P.
      Dear all,
      My name is Johannes and this is the first time I'm posting something in this forum.
      I get following error installing Processwire 2.7 in a subfolder:
      exception.txt:
      2017-09-14 13:37:27    ?    ?    Missing system template: 'permission' (in /wire/core/ProcessWire.php line 262)
      error.txt
      2017-09-14 13:59:35    ?   http://www.domain.com/?/  Error:     Exception: Missing system template: 'permission' (in /data/www/www.domain.com/docfinder/wire/core/ProcessWire.php line 262)
      I have used "processwire-legacy-master.zip". Please see also the screenshots from the installing process:
      Hoster is Plusserver (formerly HostEurope) on Linux and Apache/mysql.
      I have tried also to install 2.8.62 but result in the same error. 

Any ideas? Should I try to install the most recent versin of Processwire? I have to migrate an existing page to this new server, thats why I used the version 2.7
      Best
      Johannes

• By benbyf
      Done quite a bit of Googling and haven't quite worked out how one would create a field of type repeater and add fields to it via the API in a module. Anyone have any links or examples?