flash / html5 games

kalmtl

I am tasked at making a decision on a platform/CMS to rebuild a large casual gaming portal. It will host over 1000 flash games, and we're planning to introduce HTML5 games as well in 2014. 

I have a series of questions, and if the members on here could help me out, it would be greatly appreciated: 

- Can PW handle a large db of flash and/or html5 games reliably? 

- Do you see any issues importing a MySQL db that contains this game related data?

- Any recommendations on how to map a functional spec specific to PW? 

Thanks, I am new to PW, and would appreciate some feedback. :-)

/ Kal

Hi kalmtl, welcome!

1) Pw can handle > 1000 pages (games) without problems. It scales very well! If you have files/images assigned to your pages, then each page gets a folder where the files are stored. As long as your filesystem / server can handle the files, you won't have any problems.

That said, I currently have a project with > 100'000 pages and ~ 1900 Users and everything works fine :)

2) + 3) Nope. Give your 'game' template the field it needs. Then you can import your old data straightforward with the API. There is also a module by ryan, Import Pages from CSV that maybe useful. If you have relational data separated in different tables, then you could build a similair structure in Pw with Pages, Templates and Page-fields. For Example, store the genres as pages too and in your game-template, create a page field 'genre' that links to a genre-page.

Some sample code how easy you can create a new page:

$p = new Page();
$p->template = 'game';
$p->parent = $pages->get('games');
$p->title = 'Awesome flash game';
$p->publisher = $pages->get('template=publisher, id=4322');
$p->genre = $pages->get('template=genre, name=action');
$p->year = 2011;
$p->save();
  • Like 2

Hey Wanze...

Thanks for the reply. That pretty much answers my questions. I'm gonna do a little more hunting online, and I'll probably d/l the PW software over the weekend and start playing with it...

I am tasked at making a decision on a platform/CMS to rebuild a large casual gaming portal. It will host over 1000 flash games, and we're planning to introduce HTML5 games as well in 2014.

Congratulations. That looks like the company you work for has put you on a big and interesting project. Wished I was working on a project like that. Oh - and PW is going to be your best choice for it. Very strong api and is totally open for using your own html - css - php - plus templates and comes with modules.