totoff

Release: Unsemantic Site Profile

Hi all,

I've just pushed a new fully responsive site profile to Github: Unsemantic Site Profile for Processwire 2.3

After having tried seven zillion responsive grid systems, boilerplates, frameworks etc. I finally opted for Unsemantic Grid System. Mainly because it supports IE7, is lightweight and includes Compass/SASS.

I've designed the profile as a starting point for development according to my needs. This includes almost no styling, an easy-to-use solution for placeholder images and three teaser boxes on the front page. In addition, I converted the .sass files that come with Unsemantic to .scss because I like the syntax better.

Glad if you give it a try and find it an improvement for your workflow. You can see a preview here.

Download from Github: https://github.com/christophlieck/UnsemanticSiteProfile

• Like 13

Great, thanks totoff! I am a happy fan also of SASS+Compass. I feel your pain re the seven zillion grids ;) and at the risk of mentioning one that maybe you tried or not, I am smitten with http://susy.oddbird.net/ and I'm inspired now to try and do my own vanilla profile with SUSY so thanks for that too.

thank you guys for your friendly comments. appreciate your feedback. if you find any bugs please let me know.

@alanfluff i fully understand. susy was one of my long time favorites. but when it came to decision making as far as i remember i sorted it out because it doesn't support ie7 (right?). that's a deal breaker for me, as i work much for the healthcare sector and the doctors still love to surf around with ie6 and ie7 ;-)

does anybody of you know how i can get the profile listed in the module section?

@totoff Glad you liked SUSY too, as I was writing that I was thinking "I don't think it supports IE7" and so in your sphere I can see clearly why you went the route you did (shuddering as I think of IE6 ;))

Question,

in order to have this site profile we have to reinstall Processwire again and replace the 2 folders?

Yes, a site profile will require a clean installation since you effectively add these folders before installing it.

totoff, 

Nice work! :)

Quick question:
Do any of you still support IE7? I don't even plan to support IE8 after the end of this year — without a supplemental agreement.

For web development and support services, i only support the latest two versions of IE. Life is easier that way.

• Like 3

Quick question:

Do any of you still support IE7? I don't even plan to support IE8 after the end of this year — without a supplemental agreement.

Unfortunately, yes.  I don't like it but some of the folks we work with won't/can't make such simple decisions without at least 10 of their higher-ups agreeing on it first.  Oh the joy...

Quick question:

You tend to run into these requirements with government sector/healthcare etc because they are often tied into legacy applications that they have spent tend/hundreds of thousands on and can't justify upgrading. Seriously, that's the reason most of the time, sad as it sounds.

The problem is that whilst they would often be better off using newer technologies in a lot of cases and getting rid of some of the legacy systems, but whilst the money is from taxpayers they're stuck really. If you saw in the news that a database cost tens/hundreds of thousands that's all you generally focus on - it's hard to sell the benefits of a newer system for performance gains because newspapers tend to focus on the negatives.

That's just been my experience anyway having worked "on the inside" in the past :)

• Like 1

IE8 in compatibility mode uses the ie7 engine. I still need to support that from time to time... But as Support for XP is dropped, brighter skies are on the horizon.

• Like 1

Yes. One of my company's healthcare products has users on IE6 and IE7 (those account for about 12% and 25% of traffic respectively the last time I checked). There are other users on other browsers too, but we do have to support them all.

In our case it's not particularly government or local authorities either - it is the remote desktop systems supported and maintained by private IT companies.

For public-facing websites though, we would typically support IE8 upwards, and try to make it look half-decent in IE7 if it's not going to take too much effort.

Quick question:

I do, but have a disclaimer that I can't guarantee for full functionality - in particular if the site is responsive. I need to support it because of my healthcare clients - as others have already pointed out.

Hi all,

finally I just released a major update to my Unsemantic Site Profile. Here are the most important features:

• runs on Processwire 2.5.3
  • delegate template approach
  • includes Superfish dropdown menu (requires markup simple navigation module)
  • preconfigured Google Maps implementation
  • includes simple accordion textformatter Module

The profile is meant as a starting point for RWD on Processwire. Glad if you find it useful. You can see a preview here.

Question: Does somebody know how to update the entry in the modules directory?

EDIT: comments, suggestions etc. welcome

• Like 6

Question: Does somebody know how to update the entry in the modules directory?

You can click "Edit this Module" and then save it again and it will update version number, readme text etc.

You can also wait about 24 hours and it will update automatically.

• Like 3