ryan

Module: Import Pages from CSV file

Here is a new module for ProcessWire 2.1 that imports pages from a CSV file. By default it will create new pages from data in the CSV file, but you can also configure it to modify existing pages too (existing pages that have the same title).

Please give it a try and let me know how it works for you and if you run into any issues with it. This module is something I've had in the works for awhile, and regularly use on various projects, so figured I should clean it up a bit and release it. Also attached are a couple screenshots from it.

How to Install:

1. Download from: https://github.com/r.../ImportPagesCSV

2. Place the file ImportPagesCSV.module in your /site/modules/ directory.

3. In ProcessWire admin, click to 'Modules' and 'Check for new modules'.

4. Click 'install' next to the 'Import Pages CSV' module (under heading 'Import').

Following that, you'll see a new menu option for this module on your Admin > Setup menu.

Supported field types for importing:*

• PageTitle
  • Text
  • Textarea (including normal or TinyMCE)
  • Integer
  • Float
  • Email
  • URL
  • Checkbox (single)

*I'll be adding support for multi-value, page-reference and file-based Fieldtypes in a future version.

post-1-132614278648_thumb.png

post-1-13261427868_thumb.png

• Like 9

Very cool module! Thanks a lot Ryan! I'll have a look and try out soon.

Looks great and will definitely come in use! Will test and learn from the code later on.

Looking great! Seems like a very useful module. Maybe even something to include by default, because most if not all projects i can think of require you to do some importing.

I have made a reference to this thread/module over here: http://processwire.com/talk/index.php/topic,24.0.html

Because my code reading skills suck i do have a question: In 'Step 2', how do you come up with the list of fields found in the csv? I'm guessing you need to have a header line in your csv file?

Yep, it requires header row: "The list of field names must be provided as the first row in the CSV file. "

Yep, it requires header row: "The list of field names must be provided as the first row in the CSV file. "

stupid, i totally missed that 

I could modify it to not require a header row. I guess I just figured every CSV file I've ever come across had one.

Usually they have. And since that works by uploading a file then anyone can add those titles to the file.

I could modify it to not require a header row. I guess I just figured every CSV file I've ever come across had one.

I think it's fine to require the header row, without it there will be no way to do Stap 2 in it's current form.

If a header row is missing you can easily add it, because you have control over the file you choose to use.

Ryan,

How did you know I would need something like this today?

I came to this forum to ask a question about creating pages from a feed and here it is... (ok, I was focused on an xml feed, but CSV will work as well I guess.)

Thanks!

/Jasper

Hi!

I just started testing this module and it works great to import a product feed. I love it!

Only one minor thing I noticed is images: my productfeed contains URLs to an image, but I can't select the imagefields in the import module.

Is there a reason for this? I tried to manually add a URL into the field_image and it worked great, it saved a copy (or multiple copies in different sizes) of the image on my server.

/Jasper

Hi!

I just started testing this module and it works great to import a product feed. I love it!

Only one minor thing I noticed is images: my productfeed contains URLs to an image, but I can't select the imagefields in the import module.

Is there a reason for this? I tried to manually add a URL into the field_image and it worked great, it saved a copy (or multiple copies in different sizes) of the image on my server.

/Jasper

The following is written in Ryan's topicstart:

Supported field types for importing:*

* PageTitle

* Text

* Textarea (including normal or TinyMCE)

* Integer

* Float

* Email

* URL

* Checkbox (single)

*I'll be adding support for multi-value, page-reference and file-based Fieldtypes in a future version.

So i guess you'll have to wait till a future version (dunno if Ryan has this planned anytime soon), or you could have a look at the code and possibly add something yourself.

Oops, I missed that the imagefield wasn't listed.  Sorry about that. :-\

I am not sure if my coding skills are sufficient to add the image field import myself. But it's of course worth a try.  :)

A workaround could of course be using the URL field type until Ryan releases a future version.

/Jasper

I don't think a multi-image field will work, but a single image field may very well work if you want to try it.

To try it, backup your PW database and site first. If it doesn't work, you want to be able to restore to where you were. Though, chances are you won't have to do any kind of restoring files, but you can never be too safe.

Next, make sure you are dealing with a single image field. Edit your field (in Setup > Fields) and make sure it's "max number of files" is set to "1".

Next edit the ImportPagesCSV.module file and locate this (near the top, and add the lines indicated at the bottom).

<?php
        protected $fieldtypes = array(
                'FieldtypePageTitle',
                'FieldtypeText',
                'FieldtypeTextarea',
                'FieldtypeInteger',
                'FieldtypeFloat',
                'FieldtypeEmail',
                'FieldtypeURL',
                'FieldtypeCheckbox',
                'FieldtypeFile',  // add this line
                'FieldtypeImage', // add this line
                );

Save, and try it out. Let us know if it worked?

Save, and try it out. Let us know if it worked?

It didn't really work. It looks like the page need to be created before an image can be added.

I received the following error:

TemplateFile: New page '/shs/verblijf-in-stockholm/0/' must be saved before files can be accessed from it
#0 C:\xampp\htdocs\shs\wire\core\PagefilesManager.php(133): PagefilesManager->path()
#1 C:\xampp\htdocs\shs\wire\core\PagefilesManager.php(43): PagefilesManager->createPath()
#2 C:\xampp\htdocs\shs\wire\core\PagefilesManager.php(32): PagefilesManager->init(Object(Page))
#3 C:\xampp\htdocs\shs\wire\core\Page.php(1132): PagefilesManager->__construct(Object(Page))
#4 C:\xampp\htdocs\shs\wire\core\Pagefiles.php(63): Page->filesManager()
#5 C:\xampp\htdocs\shs\wire\core\Pagefiles.php(47): Pagefiles->setPage(Object(Page))
#6 C:\xampp\htdocs\shs\wire\modules\Fieldtype\FieldtypeImage.module(33): Pagefiles->__construct(Object(Page))
#7 C:\xampp\htdocs\shs\wire\core\Fieldtype.php(289): FieldtypeImage->getBlankValue(Object(Page), Object(Field))
#8 C:\xampp\htdocs\shs\wire\core\Page.php(523): Fieldtype->getDefaultValue(Object(Page), Object(Field))
#9 C:\xampp\htdocs\shs\wire\core\Page.php(467): Page->getFieldValue('hotel_image')
#10 C:\xampp\htdocs\shs\wire\core\Page.php(364): Page->get('hotel_image')
#11 C:\xampp\htdocs\shs\wire\core\Page.php(308): Page->setFieldValue('hotel_image', 'http://images.t...', true)
#12 C:\xampp\htdocs\shs\site\modules\ImportPagesCSV.module(385): Page->set('hotel_image', 'http://images.t...')
#13 C:\xampp\htdocs\shs\site\modules\ImportPagesCSV.module(346): ImportPagesCSV->importPage(Array, Object(InputfieldForm))
#14 C:\xampp\htdocs\shs\site\modules\ImportPagesCSV.module(126): ImportPagesCSV->processForm2(Object(InputfieldForm))
#15 [internal function]: ImportPagesCSV->___executeFields()
#16 C:\xampp\htdocs\shs\wire\core\Wire.php(267): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)
#17 C:\xampp\htdocs\shs\wire\core\Wire.php(229): Wire->runHooks('executeFields', Array)
#18 C:\xampp\htdocs\shs\wire\core\ProcessController.php(194): Wire->__call('executeFields', Array)
#19 C:\xampp\htdocs\shs\wire\core\ProcessController.php(194): ImportPagesCSV->executeFields()
#20 [internal function]: ProcessController->___execute()
#21 C:\xampp\htdocs\shs\wire\core\Wire.php(267): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)
#22 C:\xampp\htdocs\shs\wire\core\Wire.php(229): Wire->runHooks('execute', Array)
#23 C:\xampp\htdocs\shs\wire\core\admin.php(42): Wire->__call('execute', Array)
#24 C:\xampp\htdocs\shs\wire\core\admin.php(42): ProcessController->execute()
#25 C:\xampp\htdocs\shs\wire\templates-admin\controller.php(13): require('C:\xampp\htdocs...')
#26 C:\xampp\htdocs\shs\site\templates\admin.php(13): require('C:\xampp\htdocs...')
#27 C:\xampp\htdocs\shs\wire\core\TemplateFile.php(88): require('C:\xampp\htdocs...')
#28 [internal function]: TemplateFile->___render()
#29 C:\xampp\htdocs\shs\wire\core\Wire.php(267): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)
#30 C:\xampp\htdocs\shs\wire\core\Wire.php(229): Wire->runHooks('render', Array)
#31 C:\xampp\htdocs\shs\wire\modules\PageRender.module(194): Wire->__call('render', Array)
#32 C:\xampp\htdocs\shs\wire\modules\PageRender.module(194): TemplateFile->render()
#33 [internal function]: PageRender->___renderPage(Object(HookEvent))
#34 C:\xampp\htdocs\shs\wire\core\Wire.php(267): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)
#35 C:\xampp\htdocs\shs\wire\core\Wire.php(229): Wire->runHooks('renderPage', Array)
#36 C:\xampp\htdocs\shs\wire\core\Wire.php(289): Wire->__call('renderPage', Array)
#37 C:\xampp\htdocs\shs\wire\core\Wire.php(289): PageRender->renderPage(Object(HookEvent))
#38 C:\xampp\htdocs\shs\wire\core\Wire.php(229): Wire->runHooks('render', Array)
#39 C:\xampp\htdocs\shs\wire\modules\Process\ProcessPageView.module(73): Wire->__call('render', Array)
#40 C:\xampp\htdocs\shs\wire\modules\Process\ProcessPageView.module(73): Page->render()
#41 [internal function]: ProcessPageView->___execute()
#42 C:\xampp\htdocs\shs\wire\core\Wire.php(267): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)
#43 C:\xampp\htdocs\shs\wire\core\Wire.php(229): Wire->runHooks('execute', Array)
#44 C:\xampp\htdocs\shs\index.php(170): Wire->__call('execute', Array)
#45 C:\xampp\htdocs\shs\index.php(170): ProcessPageView->execute()
#46 {main}

/Jasper

Sorry, I neglected to think about that before (how pages have to be created before you can add images to them). One possible way around it is to try to first import without the image field, then import the same spreadsheet again but with the image field (updating the existing pages that were created). You'd need to choose the option to "modify existing page." But it's possible that might work.

I tried that as well, but it didn't work.  :(

Even when the pages exist, the import module will not add the images.

The error/warning is exactly the same some in my previous reply.

/Jasper

Jasper, I didn't want to leave you empty handed, especially after you've tried this a few times and my suggestions didn't work. Here's an updated version of the ImportPagesCSV module that supports file and image filed importing. It supports both single and multi-file fields, so there aren't any limitations in that area.

https://github.com/ryancramerdesign/ImportPagesCSV

To import a multi-file field, place each filename or URL on it's own line in your spreadsheet, OR separate each by a pipe "|", OR separate each by a tab (you decide) – basically, you are delimiting the filenames/URLs within the field. In my own tests, I used the pipe "|" to separate the URLs and all seemed to work well. Of course, if there is only one image/file, you don't need anything other than the filename or URL (no delimiter necessary).

I ended up changing quite a bit of code, so please let me know if you run into any error messages or anything – it may not be perfect yet, but hopefully close.

• Like 4

Wow, that's great Ryan. Thank you!

I am going to try it later today and will tell you how it worked.

/Jasper

It works great. I hoped to be able to add one image, but suddenly I can add even more.

Thanks Ryan

(I owe you a beer  :D)

I have found the import CSV module to be really useful, and has become a big part of my site building workflow with processwire. It's much easier to collect and manage lots of data in excel / numbers and then directly import into processwire. This is also great for updating content with a re-import.

I think data journalists and data hackers will find this sort of functionality very useful for doing quick data visualisation mashups (especially when you add on the friendly pw api).

I think content strategists will like this workflow as most of them use excel for collecting and organising site content at the start of projects.

And of course the clients will like it - this will be a nice way to start a new project - once basic site structure is agreed, we can give the client an excel template (or google doc) and tell them to start adding content. Wouldn't it be great to start a project with actual real content!

I hope you continue adding support for other pw fields like page-references and dates (I use pages extensively for category management).

Could this module also work in the opposite direction and export the data to CSV?

Then we just need to work out a way to import / export fields and templates :)  as much as I admire the processwire interface, I still think managing data / settings / fields is much quicker and easier in text files, at least at the beginning  of a project.

Processwire - a CMS that gets out of the way.

• Like 1

This module looks like exactly what I need for migrating a couple of larger sites to PW. Would it be possible to hack this for adding users as well?

Thanks,

Stephen

Thanks for the message mjmurphy–glad that you like this module. I use it quite a bit myself too. I will definitely be adding support for more fieldtypes to it. Actually, I think dates and page references are the only two that we don't support yet. Adding dates will be easy, but the page references a little more complex. However, I need the page references functional in the near future so will likely be adding both of those types soon.

An ExportCSV module is also planned for sure.

Then we just need to work out a way to import / export fields and templates

This won't be a module, it is already planned for the core (likely in 2.3/2.4). This feature was in PW1, but just hasn't made it into PW2 yet. But it's a very useful thing to have I agree.

This module looks like exactly what I need for migrating a couple of larger sites to PW. Would it be possible to hack this for adding users as well?

I think it should work now, though I haven't tried. Although it looks like I need to add support for FieldtypePassword (another one I missed) if you want to import passwords. Should be easy to add though–added to my list.

• Like 1

I want to import some users. So I chose "user" as "Template to use for imported pages" and "Users" as "parent page". But if I'm uploading the .csv and have to choose the right fields I can't choose "title". The only option is "email". And if I submit without a title there will be an error saying "Unable to import page because it has no required 'title' field or it is blank."

So how can I import users?

Greets,

Nico

I haven't actually tried to import users yet. But it should be possible. Go ahead and add the 'title' field to your user template and populate it with something (email address?) to see if that makes the import happy. I'll plain to make the import a little smarter in this regard on the next update.