Module: Import Pages from CSV file

ryan

• 1 year later...

Hi Guys,

In short: I would like to base the template and parent of the imported pages to be based on values in the csv

Great work on the module Ryan, it's a very useful extension to Processwire indeed! ? 
I was wondering if it would be possible to set multiple templates for the pages that are created, maybe based on a .csv field value?

I'm using Padloper for variation products which ends up looking like this:

- Parent Product Page       ( needs productprarent template )
     - Variation child page   ( needs variation template )
     - Variation child page
     - Variation child page

so In my cvs file I guess I would use something like this?

Type          template               title              color               price            image
Parent       productparent      T-Shirt                                5   
Child         variation                T-Shirt         Blue                                     templates/img/blue.jpg
Child         variation                T-Shirt         Red                                      templates/img/red.jpg
Child         variation                T-Shirt         Green                                  templates/img/green.jpg   

This way I could create a parent of all sets of children, if values aren't filled there the system uses the price of the parent.
I was thinking of something in de lines of:

if($CsvLine->type == "Child") {
    $page->parent = $parent($CsvLine->title);
}

if takes makes any sense :')

Do you think something like this could be done?

Thanks in advance! ?
Bram

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
20 hours ago, BFD Calendar said:

How can I give permission to import pages from csv? I have an 'administrator' role that can add, create and edit pages but 'Import Pages From CSV' doesn't show up under 'Setup'.

PW 3.0.98

more info here :

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 4/15/2019 at 1:25 PM, bramwolf said:

Hi Guys,

In short: I would like to base the template and parent of the imported pages to be based on values in the csv

Great work on the module Ryan, it's a very useful extension to Processwire indeed! ? 
I was wondering if it would be possible to set multiple templates for the pages that are created, maybe based on a .csv field value?

I'm using Padloper for variation products which ends up looking like this:

- Parent Product Page       ( needs productprarent template )
     - Variation child page   ( needs variation template )
     - Variation child page
     - Variation child page

so In my cvs file I guess I would use something like this?

Type          template               title              color               price            image
Parent       productparent      T-Shirt                                5   
Child         variation                T-Shirt         Blue                                     templates/img/blue.jpg
Child         variation                T-Shirt         Red                                      templates/img/red.jpg
Child         variation                T-Shirt         Green                                  templates/img/green.jpg   

This way I could create a parent of all sets of children, if values aren't filled there the system uses the price of the parent.
I was thinking of something in de lines of:

if($CsvLine->type == "Child") {
    $page->parent = $parent($CsvLine->title);
}

if takes makes any sense :')

Do you think something like this could be done?

Thanks in advance! ?
Bram

Hi Bram, 

Did you find a solution for it? I'm looking also for an option to import products in the same way.

• 3 months later...

Is it possible to import users with this module?

When I try I get the error

Unable to import page because it has no required 'title' field or it is blank.

If I add a title column to the CSV it doesn't show on the next page. I simply get a 'title' select field to map it like the other field but no title field shows in the in the dropdown.

@Guy Incognito

did you do everything renobird wrote in his post on page #4 of this thread?
In particular "... In order for title to show as a connection option during your import, you need to add the title field to the user template file. ..."
http://processwire.com/talk/topic/383-module-import-pages-from-csv-file/?p=10160

For me the import works, I just edited ~200 users.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Ralf said:

@Guy Incognito

did you do everything renobird wrote in his post on page #4 of this thread?
In particular "... In order for title to show as a connection option during your import, you need to add the title field to the user template file. ..."
http://processwire.com/talk/topic/383-module-import-pages-from-csv-file/?p=10160

For me the import works, I just edited ~200 users.

Hi @Ralf - thanks for this - completely missed Reno's note but this sounds like my exact issue and will try it out today.

Hi all, new processwire user here. I am trying to to import a number of post with Chinese/UTF-8 titles, but the module can only import those with latin characters. Can anyone advise me how to solve it? The best is for sure to display the  UTF-8 permalink same with the title, but it's also okay just to have permalinks with numbers or random characters. Any advice for the tweak or pointing me the right direction of changing the code is appreciated. 

Hi all , just an update regarding my question. I found out it's due to the importPageValue function. The processwire path sanitizer cannot create the appropriate path name and it leds to a failure of creating pages without an ascii character on the title.  

$page->set($name, $value); 
            if($name == 'title') $page->name = $this->sanitizer->pageName($value, 2); // Sanitizer::translate

I tried appending a rand at the end of $page->name and the csv can be imported. However no matter whether I tried

$this->sanitizer->pageName(utf8decode($value), 2)

Or

$this->sanitizer->pageName($value, Sanitizer::toUTF8)

They do not work. Can anyone advise me if anything is done wrongly? 

Thanks all. 

Welcome to the PW forums @eddietoast!

Check that you have extended page name support enabled: https://processwire.com/blog/posts/page-name-charset-utf8/

That may be all you need to get Chinese page names working, but I've noticed that people have had a few questions/problems with Chinese characters, particularly regarding the $config->pageNameWhitelist setting. 

In this issue Ryan seems to recommend setting $config->pageNameWhitelist to empty, but then in this issue an empty value for that setting seemed to cause a different problem. And the topic linked to below has some related discussion:

If you find you can't get Chinese page names working then please open an issue at Github because it sounds like this is something that might need some attention from Ryan. Or if you do get it working please make a post in the tutorials section explaining what settings you used.

An alternative might be to use my recently released Sanitizer EasySlugger to create latin page names from Chinese characters. To do that I expect you would need to edit the ImportPagesCSV module to call $sanitizer->utf8Slugger() when the pages are created. Or you might like to use the code I posted here (it's an addon action for the Admin Actions module) as a starting point for your own custom CSV import action.

P.S. Please use the code button in the forum post editor toolbar when you are including code in a post.

• Like 1

HI @Robin S

I tried testing Chinese characters with the white list yesterday and realised it should be the problem. I added a Chinese character in the whitelist and that character can be used for names,

$config->pageNameWhitelist = '_.abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz0123456789æåäßöüđжхцчшщюяàáâèéëêěìíïîõòóôøùúûůñçčćďĺľńňŕřšťýžабвгдеёзийклмнопрстуфыэęąśł我';

Building a white list for Chinese characters can be a problem (in terms of quantity) so I ended up using RAND() as a temporary solution. 

And thanks for recommending the slugger and I think it's very useful. I just wonder whether it supports Cantonese conversion as well? Anyway I will test further and see how it works. 

Many thanks for your reply and noted on the code formatting in the post ; ).  

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Short note for all those who use this module.

In a fresh install of ProcessWire 3.0.148 this module (yes, it's only officially support until 2.7 - but still) stopped working properly.

Settings like skipping existing pages/entries will be ignored and the import into date fields is not possible at all.

Last working environment I can confirm is ProcessWire 3.0.133.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The timing on this update saved me tons of work, thanks @ryan!

I'm using the guide to importing users from page 3 of this topic, but I am having no luck pulling the roles in. How should I format these in my csv? I tried spelling out the name of the roles as well as using the ids, with and without spaces inside the quotes. 

EDITED for solution:

within the "", each role name is spelled out on its own line, so:

"guest
login-register
team-member
download"

Edited by creativejay
solved it

• 1 month later...

Hello Ryan,

thank you for the updated version of the module.
Unfortunately, I have found a mistake in the module:

In the monolingual version of Processwire (3.0.148) everything works fine yet when you update the imported pages (modify the existing page) a warning appears:
Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in ...\site\modules\ImportPagesCSV\ImportPagesCSV.module on line 515

In the multilingual version of Processwire (3.0.148) the title field is not filled in. And the same warning appears when you update the imported pages.

Furthermore, I have prepared a multilingual import CSV with "|" and imported the data. Unfortunately, that did not work as expected.

My CSV file:
"Article Name","Price","externalID"
"Apfel A"|"Apple A",1.25,abc123
"Apfel B"|"Apple B",1.15,abc124
"Birne B"|"Pear B",1.35,abc125

Resultat:
$Page->name:
apfel-a-apple-a
apfel-b-apple-b
birne-b-pear-b

$Page->title: NULL

Could you please provide an examplary CSV structure for the multilingual version?

Kind regards
Wlad

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, 

I use this module to import a collection of clothes. I use the FieldTypePage in my product template for the sizes. If the size page title/name is a number the import script can't find the page and I get te following error.

FieldtypePage: Unable to locate page match for: 128

• ProcessWire 3.0.158 dev
  • ImportPagesCSV 1.0.8

• 2 months later...

Hi everyone!

Was wondering if anyone been getting this error when you import? 

Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in D:\XAMPP\htdocs\d2g2\site\modules\ImportPagesCSV\ImportPagesCSV.module on line 515

Been scratching my head on this. Checked 515 and this is what I got. 

if($page->id && count($page->get('ImportPagesCSVData'))) {

Any idea what's tripping it? 

21 minutes ago, Pip said:

Hi everyone!

Was wondering if anyone been getting this error when you import? 

Been scratching my head on this. Checked 515 and this is what I got. 

if($page->id && count($page->get('ImportPagesCSVData'))) {

Any idea what's tripping it? 

PS: Import goes in still btw. Whether if it's correct or not, I have to double check as I've added in hundreds. ?