MarkupTwitterFeed - where do I get the feed?

vayu

Hi, I have just installed the MarkupTwitterFeed module, but for some reason I cannot find the right feed.

I have created a Twitter app and maybe it is because I am doing it wrong in the process of doing that.

Would anyone mind guiding me in the right direction to getting the right feed?

By the way, the link to the Twitter application page is leading to a 404 github page here https://github.com/ryancramerdesign/MarkupTwitterFeed

Thanks

Vayu

Is it possible to use this module to render multiple feeds from different timelines now that you have to provide a consumer tokens etc? I was using the old version to render two twitter timelines to a page. 

Hi Soma. Yes, I saw that yesterday and downloaded it right away.  But what is the feed that I enter into the $t = $modules->get('What-goes-here');  Can I see a working example?

It was updated 4 hours ago...

Yes there's a readme with examples...

OK so bit of a hack but heres how i got 2 timelines within PW. Maybe in the future the twitter module could include multiple users...?

1) Created one instance using the twitter module:

- implemented the latest version of the twitter module - on github

- created an app on twitter using the user of the timeline i wanted to show (in this case Virgin) dev.twitter.com

- for some reason it didnt authenticate straight away so I signed into twitter.com and went to app settings and found my new app at the top with read-only permissions.

- went back to my app on dev.twitter.com and add my new keys.

2) Duplicated the twitter module

- changed the name of the module folder to MarkupTwitterFeed2, the file MarkupTwitterFeed2.module and the class within to MarkupTwitterFeed2 (instead of MarkupTwitterFeed)

- uploaded to modules folder and installed like normal in PW

3) rendering

- I created a new template duplicating my first twitter template (which i happened to do as if it was a widget on the page and thus could be used by any page)

- <? php $t = $modules->get('MarkupTwitterFeed2');

and TADA! you've got two timelines...

e.g. http://www.virgintribesa.com/

Hi Arjen and Soma.

Thanks for helping.  I am running the latest version and have been for the last day or so.  I realize that Ryan has made a couple of changes today, but I am running version 2.0 and have been ever since I posted this first post. :-)  I have now updated it again from github, just like I did last night.

I have just found out what I was missing.  I had not seen that I could enter the Twitter app settings via the module settings: https://www.evernote.com/shard/s3/sh/20c34a3b-47fa-45da-b303-3dbea2adddb4/62e355680244c10271847a66dc91b753.  It all makes sense now.

One other thing I might like to ask is how to set a locale.

I tried this:

setlocale(LC_TIME, "da_DK");
$t = $modules->get('MarkupTwitterFeed');

But it won't work.  Any ideas? My site can be seen here: http://vrweb.dk/

I'm glad vayu solved his problem but I can't solve mine. I have updated the module, created a twitter app and retrieved the consumer key & secret and access token & secret, entered them into the module settings but still get "Error retrieving Twitter status".

Is there some extra step when creating the app? Their documentation is horrible.

It seems for the module to work all I should need is the oauth settings and any other info in the app is arbitrary (i.e needed for the app but not for the module. What am I missing?

EDIT:

I've got a new error message:

Error    Call to undefined function wireRmdir() (line 195 of /home/checkere/www/www/site/modules/MarkupTwitterFeed/MarkupTwitterFeed.module)

Maybe I should see about using the embedded feed for now.

@vayu, you might want to use strftime since that will respect your locale. So you might want to convert it. Can't really tell if that's best practice but it might work.

@digitex, I made a mistake updating my code partially. Make sure you use:

instead of:

$t = new MarkupTwitterFeed;

That worked for me.

@vayu, you might want to use strftime since that will respect your locale. So you might want to convert it. Can't really tell if that's best practice but it might work.

@digitex, I made a mistake updating my code partially. Make sure you use:

instead of:

That worked for me.

Hey Arjen.

That's where the different errors came from. Originally I had:

Which returned "Error retrieving Twitter status" which at least proved the module was installed and working.

I switched to:

which is when I got "Error    Call to undefined function wireRmdir() (line 195 of

/home/checkere/www/www/site/modules/MarkupTwitterFeed/MarkupTwitterFeed.module)"

I then abandoned the module for Twitteroauth and used:

<?php
session_start();
require_once("twitteroauth/twitteroauth/twitteroauth.php"); //Path to twitteroauth library

$twitteruser = "digitex";
$notweets = 3;
$consumerkey = "1234345667";
$consumersecret = "244556667";
$accesstoken = "23456676788";
$accesstokensecret = "2345667889";

function getConnectionWithAccessToken($cons_key, $cons_secret, $oauth_token, $oauth_token_secret) {
  $connection = new TwitterOAuth($cons_key, $cons_secret, $oauth_token, $oauth_token_secret);
  return $connection;
}

$connection = getConnectionWithAccessToken($consumerkey, $consumersecret, $accesstoken, $accesstokensecret);

$tweets = $connection->get("https://api.twitter.com/1.1/statuses/user_timeline.json?screen_name=".$twitteruser."&count=".$notweets);

echo json_encode($tweets);
?>

Which worked and loaded the feed but not in a very presentational way. I'm convinced now the twitter app I created is correct but the implementation with or of the module is not. I'm not suggesting the module doesn't work since it obviously does for others, just that something is set up wrong for me.

Last report before I give up on this S---.

I went ahead and updated the module on a different site, different server, same version of PHP but different host and it worked like a charm. So, now I'm a little closer to figuring it out.

The problem site has another issue. I tried to uninstall the MarkupTwitterFeed module and got a new error. It won't uninstall. I might try going in through PHPMyAdmin and doing it that way and then see if I can start over with it.

which is when I got "Error    Call to undefined function wireRmdir() (line 195 of

/home/checkere/www/www/site/modules/MarkupTwitterFeed/MarkupTwitterFeed.module)"

u need.to upgraded yer processwires ver 2.3

• Like 1

@arjen,thanks for the tip, but it looks like strftime is used in the code of the module.  Furthermore, it looks like the only thing regarding the date, that can be changed via the parameters is the date format.  I don't see any way to hook into the code to change the date output.

I went to update to v2 today and noticed that it is not showing up in the modules manager. Thought I'd uninstall and see if that helped, but got this error:

DirectoryIterator::__construct(/xxx/site/assets/cache/MarkupTwitterFeed/): failed to open dir: No such file or directory

The directory doesn't exist - not sure why. Anyway, manual upgrade seems to be fine.

Another thing - the link from the Github page:

"To obtain these, create a new Twitter application at: https://dev.twitter.com/apps."

is broken!

I went to update to v2 today and noticed that it is not showing up in the modules manager. Thought I'd uninstall and see if that helped, but got this error:

DirectoryIterator::__construct(/xxx/site/assets/cache/MarkupTwitterFeed/): failed to open dir: No such file or directory

The directory doesn't exist - not sure why. Anyway, manual upgrade seems to be fine.

Another thing - the link from the Github page:

"To obtain these, create a new Twitter application at: https://dev.twitter.com/apps."

is broken!

I'm having the same issue with the module error and havent been able to get the new module working with Ryan's Blog template yet :(

Just to clarify - I am not having any problems with the new version of the module working at all. My comments were strictly related to upgrading and the link on the GitHub page. 

Can you provide anymore info on why the new module isn't working for. No output, errors, what?

I was getting errors initially because I was using:

$t = new MarkupTwitterFeed();

but switching to:

fixed everything.

Does that help?

u need.to upgraded yer processwires ver 2.3

looks like u. right. Not workin wit ver 2.2.9 :lol:

That may have just saved me a wack of trouble. Didn't realize it was 2.3 compatible only. Thanks Willy.

Edit June 18: upgraded PW to 2.3 and twitter feed is up again. Note to self: read compatibility before spending 5 hours troubleshooting.

Hi guys,

Having problems with this module. Using PW 2.3 and the latest version of this Module. 

I've put in all the information required in the module admin page and double checked that the information is correct, but no matter what I try, I keep getting 

"Error retrieving Twitter status" 

With nothing being logged to the errors.txt log file.

Any ideas what it could be? I'm running PHP 5.4 on Debian 7.