Can't access login on existing site

renobird

Hi All,

I have a site that has been running fine for months, but all of the sudden I can't access /processwire anymore.

Instead of loading the login screen, it returns a 404.  I can log myself in via the API, and everything else seems fine with the install. 

I've checked permissions on both the home and admin templates, cleared the sessions and cache, and checked the config.php files.

Debug is set to true—I don't get any errors.

Any other thoughts?

I've once had weird 'unexplainable' login issues caused by those seo tools that some web hosts provide in their control panel. It was a while ago, but I think they installed some folders(maybe they were invisible ones) to the web root. After deleting them, and doing away with those tools the login problem cleared up.

Edit (added more):

It screwed me up because after signing up for those services, the functionality 'kicked in' at some random later time, making it hard to make the connection.

Edited by neildaemond

Hi neildaemond,

Thanks.

This install in a University hosting environment — I've already checked with them to see if there were any events that could be causing this.

There hasn't been.

I would have thought that returning a 404 would indicate a permissions issue, but all the templates seem to have the correct view access.

I'm reporting back here, although I'm not entirely sure what happened.

In addition to not being able to access /processwire, I was also experiencing some odd DB behavior. 

so, via command line ran:

mysqlcheck --repair; 

While everything came back as OK — when it was done— all my issues cleared up.

I had also re-uploaded the /site and /wire directories, so that may have been what fixed it as well. ???

All I know is that something was seriously borked, just not sure what.

Anyhow, back to work.

:)

• Like 2

Glad you found the solution there. I've also resolved strange PHP issues in the past by clearing the opcode cache (APC), and/or restarting Apache, and that seems to do the trick. Though in this case, I'm guessing that your mysqlcheck reset something that fixed it. Some index must have been broken or not working quite right. 

• Like 1