ProcessWire Book?

darrenc

I am definitely a book learner. The structured approach of a book, explaining basic concepts and building on them, makes it much easier to understand and conceptualize a system and the potential it has.

Do you have any plans to release a book that would become the defacto comprehensive way to learn ProcessWire?

I haven't heard of plans for an official book, but there once was some chatter about on this forum already so maybe someone else has?

Meanwhile, have you already tried reading through the API section of the Processwire site? While not made out of paper, theses pages are still very bookish to read. You can go through them from one chapter to the other, slowly advancing through all important concepts. It doesn't cover PHP itself, so you will have to learn at least the basics of PHP before.

Afterwards, the default site that you see right after installing Pw is a great and simple project walkthrough. Just look at the templates and fields in the backend and check out the commented code of the templates. If you do understand what is going on there, you are ready to do simple project.

That being said, I doubt that there is something like "the one way" to do a project in Processwire. That pretty much relies on what you want to archieve which is a strength for the system but makes it harder to pick up best practices.

boundaryfunctions, I've gone through it much of it and feel like I am somewhere in between understanding the basic site and understanding one of the more complex builds (skyscraper, or blog). I realize that with time I can probably piece all of this stuff together to develop my own understanding. However, I just feel like when you can get into the mind of an expert in a system (author of xyz book) then you get the best vision of walking down that path. 

It's like the difference between exploring a New York City on your own, asking people on the street where a good place to eat is -vs- getting a guidebook or spending the day with a local take you to spots and give you inside tips or ideas. One can just get up to speed faster the second way and not feel so overwhelmed. 

Appreciate the response, and I'll certainly dig deeper. 

• Like 1

I'd love to get involved with a ProcessWire book at some point. Last I heard, Matthew and Joss (?) and maybe Pete (?) were working on a book or books. But I'm not sure what the status of those is. 

book ams.i writng also

good for all in.deph and comperhansive.topkicks

for.it begnner and.master pw user

Yo Willy,

Can you also write a book how to grow and style a beard like yours?

• Like 1

Greetings Everyone,

Sorry I missed this discussion until now.

Yes, I am working on a ProcessWire book and companion Web site.

As a technical writer/developer/designer, ProcessWire has been an inspiration on multiple fronts: creating Web sites, going deeper with design/development, and writing/documenting the system.

I've been working regularly on the book project, and I have about 175 pages completed already.  I'll have much more to share in the coming weeks.

Stay tuned,

Matthew

• Like 12

Joss and I are a little behind Matthew then on page 1 ;) We do have a rough idea of what will be in it but I think other projects have pulled us both away from PW for a while so I will touch base with Joss soon.

• Like 1

Hey Everyone,

I am working pretty much every day on the book and the site, adding more detail and new chapters all the time.  It has been a great experience.  I definitely want to get the whole project "out there" as early as possible, so I will try to post a preview (at least the table of contents) soon.

On a personal note: Joss and I go way back -- to the old (Joomla) days.  For the past three years or so, we have been in pretty much constant touch about a range of CMS concepts and issues, we communicate with each other very nicely, and we are both writers and coders.  Pete is an advanced coder (and a terrific guy from everything I can see).  I'd be happy to collaborate on this effort!

Stay tuned,

Matthew

• Like 1