Adding a user on page save

onjegolders

Am thinking again at what Diogo said. Maybe an issue with creating your own users rather than using the default ones would be you would lose all the valuable session stuff?

Can you tell us your case and what exactly you want from users? Maybe someone will give an advice how to organise this?

I don't see any reason to built your own users... rather use Pw users and assign them a different role + don't give

them page-edit rights. You can add as many custom fields to the user template as you want.

For the profile, you could just use a 'profile' template and display a form with all your fields from the user template.

For adding users in the backend, you could do a simple Process module if you don't want to give your client

access to add/edit users.

• Like 2

Wanze, the advantage I see on creating own users in a case like this is making a separation between members of the app and users of the website. They can behave in such different ways. One example is that editors should be able to create other editors, but not members of the app. Also, if you have thousand of members, the users page will maybe be too crowded. Also, as onjegolders said, pw user have some security limitations that make it more difficult to search and display them, and that's why he is being forced to keep twin users in two different places. Anyway, I didn't give this much thought as it isn't my work...

I agree with you diogo. Depends on the situation I guess.

However, you have lot of features 'out of the box' when using the built in users and permission system.

For example:

$session->login()
$session->logout()
$user->isLoggedIn()
$user->hasRole()
$user->hasPermission()

The users page can be replaced with a ProcessModule, if I remember correctly Antii has done something which

provides a better overview with some filters.

There are security restrictions in listing users, but you can still use 'check_access=0' in your selector for finding the users.

Thanks both of you, honestly it is very much appreciated. I think there are valid points on both sides and I am currently trying to use the best bits about both.

Wanze, could you link me to Apeisa's thing? I haven't seen it.