Setting up Manager role

jsantari

Trying to add my first user with primarily edit only rights. I've added a user manager and added them to the editor role. When I log in with that user I can only view pages. My editor role has the permissions for delete, edit and view but I'm only seeing view. What am I missing here?

I am not sure if there is a decent guide to this anywhere, and I have only set these up a couple of times now, so not sure I have everything in my head, but I think at a minimum you need to go to the access tab for the home template, select yes and then able edit rights for the editor role. You can also do this for child page templates at any level.

One thing I found confusing at first was being able to separate things so that some users can delete and other cannot. This requires setting up a new permission called page-delete and a new role called "deletor" or something along those lines. Then you can assign the manager user editor and/or deletor roles. When you're on the access tab for a template you need to select "edit pages" for the deletor role if you want them to be able to delete.

Key thing to remember is that you can limit access to a very detailed level. There are also a few modules that can make things even more detailed:

http://modules.processwire.com/modules/custom-page-roles/
http://modules.processwire.com/modules/page-edit-per-user/
http://modules.processwire.com/modules/page-edit-field-permission/

Trying to add my first user with primarily edit only rights. I've added a user manager and added them to the editor role. When I log in with that user I can only view pages. My editor role has the permissions for delete, edit and view but I'm only seeing view. What am I missing here?

In ProcessWire you need to set: Who, What and Where. You've got the Who and the What, but not the Where. The "Where" is typically defined by template, though can also be controlled by hooks. 

• 4 weeks later...
having problems giving users rights to add pages. Am i missing some documentation somewhere on how permissions work?

Lets say you want to setup a role "pr-editor" that can add press releases as children of page /about/pr/. The page /about/pr/ uses template "pr-index", and the individual press releases (children) use template "pr-item". 

• Create a new role "pr-editor" and give it "page-edit", "page-add" and any other permissions you want. 
  • Give that "pr-editor" role to a user that you will test with. 
  • Edit the template "pr-index". On the "access" tab, check the box for "add children" for role "pr-editor". Optional but recommended: On the "family" tab, set the "allowed children" to be template "pr-item". Save.
  • Edit the template "pr-item". On the "access" tab, check the box for "create pages" for role "pr-editor". Optional but recommended: On the "family" tab, set the "allowed parents" to be template "pr-index". Save. 
  • Login with the user that has the "pr-editor" role and test it out. 
  • Like 1

• I've created a role called "editor" whose permissions are set to do 4 things - view, edit, delete and create pages.
  • I've given this role to a test user.
  • Then created a template that has "view pages", "edit pages and "create pages" for the editor role selected in the access tab ( this template is used for 112 company info type pages)

But, the user can't add a new page (company).

Where do you want to add the page?

If you want to add them under a parent with template 'company', you still need to check "add Children" in the templates Access options.

Also make sure that you don't have any template family restrictions in the parents template.

• Like 1

yeah, sorry, I wanted editors to be able to add a child page (company) of a parent (company list).

so, I did what you said:

you still need to check "add Children" in the templates Access options.

and indeed it works! Cheers dude

• 1 month later...

I wonder if setting up roles may one day involve a different screen where boxes can be checked as opposed to going to each individual template at a time, then to access, then click and save (and repeat n times - imagine if there were 100 templates)?

I still think this "batch screen" (not just for roles) is a bit of a gap here, having already seen what a help Wanze's Batcher module is for example.

If I ever get round to it, I may even have a go myself!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Maybe it's worth to note for everybody struggling with roles and access, that templates may include other template files (advanced -> alternate template filename).

Say you have all your logic in one template "page" and shortly before golive you realise you need another template for a parent page only only in order to manage access. In this case create a template "parent" without a file. Than choose "page" as template file under "alternate template filename". Done: your logic remains but you have a new layer of access control.

Guess how I found this trick ...  ???