Options are not allowed in .htaccess

pwired

My hosting provider does not allow any Options in the .htaccess file.

I have to remove following 3 lines in the Processwire htaccess file.

Options -Indexes
Options +FollowSymLinks
# Options +SymLinksifOwnerMatch

Does that have any consequences for the working of Processwire ?

Your service provider probably already has set these parameters. They are not allowing you to override them. Normally you would not want indexes displayed in application folders or on a normal site,  Which is why you you see empty index.html files in directories in some applications or the -Indexes directive in your .htaccess file.  You can test for  this condition by going to a folder without a directory index file, that has other resources. If you don't see anything then indexing is not on in for that host (or implicitly set on that dir)

I am pretty sure Processwire is not using symbolic links. It is possible that someone could or did write a module that does. Just none that I am aware of.  If you create some yourself, you won't be able to follow them in, Apache if this directive is not enabled.    I know that drupal does need this directive for a private download method in the core.  Not sure why it is present in the PW .htaccess file. 

From the Apache Docs..   

Indexes If a URL which maps to a directory is requested, and there is no DirectoryIndex (e.g., index.html) in that directory, then mod_autoindex will return a formatted listing of the directory. FollowSymLinks The server will follow symbolic links in this directory.   http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/core.html#options
  • Like 3

You can test for  this condition by going to a folder without a directory index file, that has other resources. If you don't see anything then indexing is not on in for that host (or implicitly set on that dir)

Good tip, thanks.

Not sure why it is present in the PW .htaccess file.

Maybe somebody can reply on this.

Not sure why it is present in the PW .htaccess file.

You can get by without the symlinks option. It's there because I tend to make regular use of symlinks, and am guessing others do too. But nothing in PW actually requires it.