Simply Interesting for ProcessWire

MatthewSchenker

Gretings everyone,

I am working on a site for an arts organization, and they are looking for imaginative interactivity... I did some searching to see what various organizations and museums are doing, and discovered the Whitney Museum's "For Kids" site.

I think the site has a lot of impressive elements. But the reason I'm sharing it here is because everything in there feels like a great example of what can be done with ProcessWire.

Check it out here: http://whitney.org/ForKids

Just a bit of inspiration.

Thanks,

Matthew

• Like 1

Gretings,

The style might seem jarring in ways -- a risky concept -- but for kids it works well.

What I like most, and what I am trying to do in a few new sites, is create interactive and sharing elements that go beyond the Facebook model. I think ProcessWire is perfect for this.

Thanks,

Matthew

I agree with renobird that it's pretty rough on the eyes, though I can see how it would appeal to kids. I get the impression that the designer must know his/her audience well. :) And we aren't that audience. But I can respect what they are doing here.

I have to admit this reminds me a bit of geocities time when the web was a lot less designed, less serious, and more playful place. Not that I long for that period at all. But the period definitely had its own [youthful, tacky, random?] style about it. :)

dancingbaby2.gif counter.gif    Jumbo-03-june.gif

asashleyatucsbunder-construction.gif HeHeartlandAcres7021Graphicsconstruction Alien-02-june.gif

redalrt3.gif

Nova1466underconstruction.gif   Baby-01-june.gif

mamagnolia_acresunderconstruction.gif

• Like 8

Lots of lovely bright colours, but where is the sound?

This is the thing that gets me about the internet. When it started, it was lauded as this wonderful MULTI media world where everything would interact with each other.

Coming from the mainstream production world where we had been creating interactive programmes on laser disc (and later, CD) this sounded perfect.

However, what we have ended up with is:

• Mute web sites
  • A button to play some audio
  • A button to play some video
  • A few moving images
  • Lots of dancing boxes, with no accompaniment.
  • No relationship between any of the above

So, although it caters for lots of different media, often all in the same place, it is rarely properly multi-media in the same way as a television programme or a game would be.

In fact, the only time it is is when someone embeds a game or a TV prog,

I am not sure why this is, really. Originally audio, particularly, was seen as a very good way of making a site inaccessible - it took too long to download and the viewer may not even have a sound card. Fair enough.

But although the internet has sped up hugely, and every device on the planet can play sound more or less, we still seem stuck with the same way of looking at things.

I would love to produce bespoke audio for websites - proper atmospheres, custom composed, unique scored, carefully thought out spot effects, but every time I mention it to people they tend to look at me as if I have gone mad.

It is just a case of looking at a website as if it is an app or game, rather than a series of pages. 

I know it puts the price up, but surely there are advantages for some companies, just as there is in advertising.

Hey Everyone,

Yeah, I agree that the style is a bit over-the-top with this one.  However, the site is actually gaining in popularity from what I gathered.  Of course, they can take more chances since they are associated with the Whitney!

I would not design a site like this myself.  However, my focus is on the various interactive/community elements this site contains.  I'm glad to see organizations building their own unique, creative social networking elements and not only serving as another cog in the Facebook gearbox.  And I think it's a good example of what can be done with ProcessWire.

Thanks,

Matthew

• Like 1