Templates Label

kongondo

Hi,

In admin -> setup -> templates under basics, under the option "Label" it says "An optional label to describe this template." I thought the text input in this label option is only for descriptive admin purposes, e.g. to help multiple admins know what a particular template is about when viewing the list of templates available on a site. To my dismay, if you use this label option, this text is what appears under "template*" when editing a page. Is this the intended behaviour? I would have thought the template selection field under page settings would show template names rather than template labels since labels can be long. Can this behaviour be changed? Haven't found a setting.

Using PW 2.3. Thanks.

/k

e.g. to help multiple admins know what a particular template is about when viewing the list of templates available on a site

I think it is more to provide friendly label for editor. So instead of "news-article" you can have "News article" etc.

Hi Kongondo

I think the clue here is in the word "label" rather than "Description"

A label on a field would not be a long description, it would be a short friendly label as opposed to using the actual field name.

This is the same in this case - it is meant so you can have "Main Post Template" rather than "post-template-main-v1" or whatever your template is actually called.

Edit: Damn  ... Appy got their first!

• Like 1

I think the main value/intention of template labels is for language support. In this manner, you can have something that makes sense with the editor's language, even if different from the developers language. Most of the time, I do not use template labels, as I prefer to just have the template name. Though if I was doing a lot more multi-language sites, I would probably prefer template labels. 

• Like 1