Moving website from local server to a sub-domain

benjaminE

Hello.

I'm having a little trouble moving a site I've been working with on a local XAMPP server to a testing server on a sub-domain (hosted with GoDaddy).

I've tried two methods of moving the site: (1) Using the Site Profile Exporter module, and (2) copying over the database and moving the site.

With both methods I get the same result, namely: the landing page -  ie, [subdomain].[siteaddress].com - works fine but as soon as you attempt to follow any of the links or directly access on of the sub-pages - ie, [subdomain].[siteaddress].com/[something] - the browser throws out a 500 Internal Server Error page.

I've spoken to GoDaddy and they tell me that there's nothing wrong on their end. I've also tried a fresh intall of processwire and get the same problem. For example, when I attempt to access the log in page I get the same error message.

I'm relatively new to MySQL and running CMS sites and so it could very well be that I'm missing something quite basic - perhaps owing to the fact that I'm running it on a sub-domain - but essentially I can't figure out how to proceed.

Any thoughts on what I might try woudl be warmly appreciated. Many thanks in advance!

Hi Benjamin, it's quite a common problem that many of have faced, you probably need to make a change on your htaccess file.

See here http://processwire.com/talk/topic/82-install-pw-to-subdir/#entry1220

You will want to try uncommenting the lines beginning with Rewrite Base, try uncommenting the first line of that (removing the hash)

• Like 2

• 10 months later...

I know this thread is a little old, but I'm having the same problem.  Developed a site locally on MAMP, then tried to move the site over to a sub domain, copied the database over, changed the database settings in the config.php file, and am getting a 500 Internal Server Error.

I've been through the .htaccess file and tried uncommenting that 'RewriteBase /' line but no luck.  I've tried all the other lines in there - uncommenting, trying again, re-commenting, trying the next line and so all the way through the file and i still get the same thing.

If i remove the .htaccess, or change its name to htaccess.txt the site opens up (although I can't get to the login screen). 

Any thoughts?