Timeout Problem?

GOTK

Hi All,

A couple of months ago, I posted a thread about problems we were having accessing a Processwire account via a specific ISP (http://processwire.com/talk/topic/2732-problems-accessing-a-processwire-cms-via-a-bt-connection/).

To be fair to BT, they have since been incredibly helpful and finally managed to replicate problems we were having (which turned out to be not just with Processwire but also intermittently with other areas of the site) on a couple of different connections.  I also asked a bunch of friends to test the site and approximately 25% have problems somewhere or other with things loading up.  The problems seem to boil down to some sort of timeout issue when information is requested from the database and not returned quickly enough.

So, we are now engaged in discussions with both our web designer and our hosting company to figure out what is going on.  In the midst of all this, I was looking around in the hosting panel logs and found the following error, repeated hundreds of times since inception of the website:

2013-04-05 02:32:56: Unknown User:/?/:ProcessWire Error:Exception:  (in /data/15/2/98/11/2587663/user/2837510/htdocs/wire/core/Database.php line 72)

With the very little knowledge that I have, I traced this line to the query I have reproduced in the attached Word file - Database.php.doc.  I do not know if this is correct or not.  We also still have an engineer from BT looking into the issue for us and he sent me an email highlighting a different bit of coding, which I have included in the Word document. 

Do either of these indicate what the timeout period is or have a timeout period that looks abnormally short or is there something obviously wrong in the coding?  Or does anyone have any ideas about what might be going wrong here? 

I am sorry if this is not explained well, but I have absolutely no knowledge of this sort of thing, so constantly seem to be feeling my way around in the dark!  If I have not been clear, please let me know and I will try to clarify!

Many thanks in advance!

Hi and welcome to the forums. I'm currently experience a similar problem and I think I know the reason why.

You are experiencing too many people hitting your site and there are not enough allowed MySQL connections by your web server host.

If you are able to access your cpanel on your host, go there and check how many allowable connections you have available. Also if you have google analytics installed on your site you can see how many visitors on average are trying to view your site.

In short you might need too up the amount of allowed MySQL connections can be made to your site. Many hosts will allow an unlimited amount. If your host doesn't either pay for more or consider moving to a different host that allows for an unlimited amount.

Hope this helps.

I agree with AnotherAndrew. The indicated error line is the mysqli_connect function, which means it attempted to connect to the MySQL server and was denied. I don't see how the scope of this could go beyond your web host and their MySQL server. If it's only occurring to certain people, chances are they are seeing an error message that was cached somehow or another (perhaps via a proxy). I wouldn't look past the web host, the problem has got to be there. 

Thank you both for your replies!  I am taking the issue up with our web host so I will raise this with them.  :)

ETA: I will report back with the resolution and will update my previous thread as well!