Images Manager (beta)

Soma

Great work Soma, thanks for the effort.

Wouldn't it be more consistent to use the widely known Wordpress short code syntax (http://codex.wordpress.org/Shortcode_API)?

[image='/path/imagename/' width='100' class='align_left']

And since there's also already a short code module for PW ... or is there a reason why choosing your syntax over the other?

Keep it up!

Hi Soma, only want to drop a short note:

when working with the ImagesManager in a MultiLanguageSite and the current AdminUser has another Language than the default one

when creating new CategoryPages the PageTitle is only set for the current UserLanguage, default-LanguageTitle is left empty!

With PageName, you populate all LanguageFields with the CategoryName. With the TitleField I think the defaultLanguage should be filled too, because it is the fallback for other empty TitleFields.

PS: it's really fun to work with the ImagesManager! :)

Great work Soma, thanks for the effort.

Wouldn't it be more consistent to use the widely known Wordpress short code syntax (http://codex.wordpress.org/Shortcode_API)?

[image='/path/imagename/' width='100' class='align_left']

And since there's also already a short code module for PW ... or is there a reason why choosing your syntax over the other?

Keep it up!

I don't know shortcodes and WP anyway and don't know if it's a good idea.

Shortcode module is something different.

I've chosen PW selectors because it works well and is easy to use.

Hi Soma, only want to drop a short note:

when working with the ImagesManager in a MultiLanguageSite and the current AdminUser has another Language than the default one

when creating new CategoryPages the PageTitle is only set for the current UserLanguage, default-LanguageTitle is left empty!

With PageName, you populate all LanguageFields with the CategoryName. With the TitleField I think the defaultLanguage should be filled too, because it is the fallback for other empty TitleFields.

PS: it's really fun to work with the ImagesManager! :)

Yeah I noticed this too and couldn't made up my mind to how it should behave with multilanguage. I will have a try soon, thanks.

• 1 month later...
Great Job, Soma! An image management tool was at the top of my personal wish list. Your module comes close to this desired. It is a promising alpha version ...

However, I have a problem with uploading images. Error message: Class 'PageImage' not found (line 526 of /../site/modules/ImagesManager/ImagesManager.module) In the ImagesManager is a new line with title, category, imagetag, modified and a broken image icon. The file is uploaded to the directory tmp_uploads, the corresponding page in the selected category created. But the picture file does not move in the new asset subdirectory. Did I forget something during installation?

In addition, only the administrator can use the ImagesManager. Other users will only see the button on textarea fields. But has no function.

In the module-config I have entered two special fields under "Textfields used for searching images on pages". However, the button ImagesManager will appear above each textarea field.

Can you help me to make better use the module? 

Thanks.

Thanks enibas94 for the feedback and using my module.

There's a permission for the module "images-manager". You can create a new permission with that name and give it to roles that should see ImagesManager page.

There's currently no permission or access handling for the button added to all textarea fields. The "Textfields used for searching images on pages" is originally meant for the module to search for if there's images in the text. But kinda would be the same fields as where to add the ImagesManager button. So while already there, I changed the config to say "Textarea fields you want to use the ImagesManager on."

So it is now used to define what textarea fields you want to use ImagesManager. This is now working for editor users.

As for your error.  Error message: Class 'PageImage' not found (line 526 of /../site/modules/ImagesManager/ImagesManager.module)

Not sure but since the class name is "Pageimage" I guess it has to do with PHP version, because it works for me, but maybe the capital "I" in PageImage is making it not find the class on your environment. 

I changed it to "Pageimage" and committed an update.

Can you let us know if it's working for you now?

Hi Soma, thank you for the quick help. Now the upload works for me! Small cause, large effect.

I have also added the permission. Now the editors can feed the ImagesManager. But the button ImagesManager above the text boxes still does not work for these users. The other with the text boxes "used for searching images on pages" I still do not quite understand it. But it will come ... I'm sure.

It is working fine, make sure you updated the module with all its files correctly. 

The setting in the ModulesManager you talk about is now called:

Textarea fields you want to use the ImagesManager. A button will appear above those fields.

Add one or more fields separated by a pipe body|sidebar.

I just made another update to replace the fields settings with a AsmMultipleSelect for convenience. If you update, you want to select the textarea fields you want to use IM on. You also have to save the module setting at least once to make it work. And maybe reinstall the module to get rid of unnused settings, but not necessary.

post-100-0-42784600-1372755454_thumb.png

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Hello,

I just tried your module in a fresh PW install following the steps you outlined in the first post. 

Everytime I try to upload a image I get these two errors:

• pme_power_foto.jpg - Invalid file extension, please use one of:

• Missing required value (ImagesUpload)

Any idea what's wrong?

No sorry, I have no idea currently. Any more hints to how you set up or reproduce?

Where do you get these errors? 

Invalid file extension, please use one of: ....  (one of what?)

Are the file extensions set correctly for the image field?

Missing required value, means there's no image sent... ?

There is one thing I did not mention... I'm using a fresh install but with the Bootstrap profile.

I tried this setup again with the default site and everything is working fine.

Thanks for your help.

• 2 months later...

Hi Soma,

THANKS for this module! ^_^

Is this still true?:

Use at your own risk and it's not recommended to use in production yet.

I have a site about to go into production (I'm about to upgrade it from 2.3 to 2.4 too before it goes live). Would you recommend I not use ImagesManager due to it's Alpha status?

I know if I use it it is at my own risk no matter if you say yes or no :)

To be honest, I'm not sure. Yes it's alpha/proof of concept but seems pretty stable and some use it already. But it also means it didn't get any love since then.

I don't think there can happen much as it just creates pages with a image on it. So even you could go and do it without/remove ImagesManager. The parsing part for image tags could also be replaced or handled differently. It's all not things that can break easily or go competly wrong you wouldn't be able to fix somehow.

• Like 1

Thanks Soma, I understand completely, it's a 'nice' Module that is not invasive and as you note should it break for some reason I would be able to work-around that with normal PW code and small changes.

Thanks for your fast and helpful comment :)

• 2 months later...

Hey Soma. Very useful module and it has promise to be just what I need for something I'm working on right now but I have a couple of questions:

First, I need to upload images of a higher resolution but when I upload through the module interface I get an error that the file exceeds the maxFilesize set in the php.ini. The php.ini maxFilesize is set to 10mb and the pics, so far, have been well below that. When I use the standard pw image upload the files go up no problem but error out using the module. I notice you set a maxFilesize => 32 default but when I change that it doesn't make any difference. Can you give me some guidance how to set it to match the limit in the server php.ini? Also it might be worth considering adding an option in the module settings to set the maxFilesize.

Second, I sometimes forget to set the category before clicking upload and I found that rather than throw an error immediately, the module goes through the process of uploading the file first, then throws the error that no category was set. Since the file's already uploaded, it get's left orphaned in the temp directory. I went into the assets > files > .tmp_uploads and found several pics from days earlier still in there. I can't be the only one that sometimes forgets to set a category which means the server could get clogged with orphaned files pretty quickly. Maybe an onsubmit check for the category before upload begins would fix that.

Have a read of this: https://processwire.com/talk/topic/2194-flie-upload-max-file-size/

It should help you with your php.ini settings.

Thanks Adrian but if the server php.ini was the problem then any image I upload whether using the images manager module or using the images field that exceeds the limit would fail. Wouldn't it? If I go to a page and use the images field to select and upload a 2mb or 3mb image is succeeds but not through this module.

I'm making the assumption it's not the server's php.ini.

I had a similar problem early this morning.  I was trying to upload an image to Images Manager and it would not work.  

post-756-0-09568100-1399312886_thumb.png

This was using the latest version of PW Dev.  I struggled with this for a few hours and then reverted my /wire directory to 2.3.12 and then everything worked again (I could upload images).  A few minutes ago I uploaded version 2.4.1 and it also worked.

I opened an issue on this occurrence in Github.  

Edited by cstevensjr
  • Like 1

I had a similar problem early this morning.  I was trying to upload an image to Images Manager and it would not work.  

attachicon.gifpw-latest-dev.png

This was using the latest version of PW Dev.  I struggled with this for a few hours and then reverted my /wire directory to 2.3.12 and then everything worked again (I could upload images).  A few minutes ago I uploaded version 2.4.1 and it also worked.

Where did you get 2.4.1? The latest version I can find is 2.4.0.

@digitex, ImagesManager doesn't set a maxFilesize, where do you see this? It uses PW InputfieldFile.module that does set it from the php.ini. I'm not sure in what regard it is different to when uploading on a page, because it should be the same. Though the upload form in ImagesManager is a normal form file input that uploads on submit, while page upload you may using ajax async upload. Anyway it shouldn't make a difference.

Thanks for the suggestion with the missing category parent. Yes, that surely would be possible. While it all works somehow, there's a lot left to be desired. It's still an proof of concept pretty much.

@cstevenjr, are getting this on a new install? I haven't tried yet on latest PW though. Strange.