Bug/intentional error? with 'last modified'

Adam Kiss

Hi Ryan,

I just noticed, that if you have programatically changed a page (via API), system seems to ignore this change;

Example:

• I created page holding some JSON data
  • Although every 12 hours script changes this page, Page still has 'last modified' datestamp of the moment I created it, because every changed from that moment since now was done via API

I'm not sure whether this is intentional, or bug, but it would be nice if system modified the timestamp of last edit via API I think.

As for a user, which is shown (in 'modified ... by USER), there could be anything really – 'API', name of a template via which was this page modified, URL which modified this page... anything would be more helpful then ignored API modification.

PW updates the last modified date if you call $page->save() or $pages->save($page) -- those two commands functionally identical.

But if you save just one field from a page, like $page->save('body'), it doesn't update the last modified date or anything in the pages table. It only updates the 'field_body' table. Perhaps it makes sense for it to update the pages table too (something to talk about more), but the thought behind the current behavior is this: if you are just saving an individual field, you are likely doing so to limit overhead as much as possible. As a result, PW doesn't considers that a field save, not a page save.

I don't think that there would be much overhead in updating the modified date, so it's something to consider.

I'm not sure how you are seeing it modify the modified_user because the query that updates that is the same one that updates the modified date, and it doesn't get executed when you just save a field (2.1).

For a page save, the last modified user has to correspond go a user in the system. So if you want to show the user as "api" as the last modified user, then you'd have to add a user called "api" and set it to be the current user before you save your pages (full page saves), like this:

Wire::setFuel('user', $users->get('api'));