Distributed version control for content

Samuel

First of all, this is really great work, I love it!

Then I would like to share with you some projects that inspired me and I think their approach of adding distributed version control could be a great addition to processwire.

prose.io | A well done and clean content editor for github

substance.io |  Distributed version control for collaborative writing projects. 

jekyll & octopress | blogging engines on top of github

Edited by Samuel

Samuel - welcome aboard!

Can you describe more what kind of workflow you are looking for? Is it for content or code? (These are probably stupid questions, but I am not familiar with Jekyll etc)

Its meant more for content.
Octopress for example is a blogging engine build upon github. 
You gain the power of distributed version control for your blog posts and therefore a nice way of crowdsourcing and controlling information, content, typos etc.
I believe that this kind of workflow can be a great addition to processwire and therefore making it even more unique and a very productive tool for collaborative web and content creation.
I think the forking and merging concept is a great approach that can be extended to various areas of life other than only coding.
Have a look for example at the http://interior.substance.io/ project.

Edited by Samuel

@Samuel: what you're describing here sounds fascinating, at least in theory, though I'm not really sure how it would work in the context of ProcessWire.

Which parts of current system would you imagine being useful for this new workflow -- would you still edit content with current admin tools and on page save rebuild site as static version and commit + push it to GitHub or am I completely misunderstanding something here? Isn't that pretty much how Jekyll works, by the way? :)

Anyway, you may want to take a look at this thread, where somewhat similar idea (converting site to static HTML) is already being discussed.

• Like 1

@Nicole: While Concrete 5 has a good approach for hierarchical organizations its not that practical for distributed crowdsourcing of content, where you don't even know your contributors in the first place.

@teppo: Well, I have to admit regarding the practical way that I didn't think about it properly, since I am not that into the technical aspects yet.

My topic title should probably be more like: "Distributed Version Control for ProcessWire"

I would say so, that you can edit the content via the current admin tools, probably with a button "MAKE A PATCH" in the Frontend and then push the changes automatically to a github project. To achieve this, how I understood and as you mentioned, we would have to get rid of the database and make everything static, right?

That way, you would host the whole platform on github. which is again interesting for coding and sharing templates, modules etc as well.

Oh, since you said you wanted content, I assumed you wouldn't be using GitHub... About Concrete5, I was referring to what you meant by "Workflow", after reading your reply, I realize it doesn't really fit into this situation . Oh well, I'm pretty sure anything can be done using Processwire, too bad I'm not good at that, yet.

• 3 weeks later...

I would like to share with you the two projects that inspired my idea.

prose.io | A well done and clean content editor for github

substance.io |  Distributed version control for collaborative writing projects. 

By the way;

Is it possible to change the topic title?

Edited by Samuel
  • Like 1

Good, I edited the first post.

I think changing the title to "Distributed Version Control For Processwire" makes for the following conversation the most sense.

And probably, if you want, delete comment #8 to #12

Thanks in advance, for cleaning up and sorry for the mess, I'll think more properly the next time!

I think the forking and merging concept is a great approach that can be extended to various areas of life other than only coding.

If only you could fork (certain parts) of someone else's life....now that would be great ;)

• Like 1

Sounds fascinating :) but I was of course referring more to cultural projects and their organizational aspects, that would hugely benefit, when implementing a git like version control system. For example, collaborative writing, tutorials & educational content, video-editing, open source hardware projects etc.

Gaining productivity like a champ.