Adding field types within the page creation/editing process

owzim

Hi,

so I know you can create templates with many and very versatile field types but is there also a way to add field on a page per page basis without creating various page templates before?

Let's say I want to add a page with:

title

body

some great other field type

body

yet another field type

(and then on the bottom a button which lets me add more fields)

[ + add another field type ]

- [ body ]

- [ some great other field type ]

- [ yet another field type ]

and also be able to control the sorting of those.

It's kind of like the template creation but within the page creation/editing

Is there something I am not getting? Is there a way?

thanks,

Christian

Fields are tied to templates so there's no way to tie then to a specific page without a template.

Furthermore if you're talking about actually creating new fields on the fly whilst editing a page this would actually be quite difficult to achieve since most fieldtypes have many settings across several tabs.

Thanks,

@apeisa I thought of repeaters as well.

I guess I could use child pages, which I would add with different templates and then treat those child pages as content, but this would break the page and content paradigm.

I saw this feature somewhere else, I am not sure how popular it is but I would consider it quite useful.

@Pete tho wrap it up it's like stitching together a page of an unspecific count and type of fields.

Repeater would be the obvious option.

Though, depending on what you were doing, you could do this in two bits by using a page field to drag in another page with extra stuff. I do this when I want to specify which side blocks (as an example) I want added to a page from a central "library" of blocks.

Now, that does not bring extra fields into the page editor itself, but it is a way of bringing in extra data, even though you will have to edit it separately.

I suppose you could also have a bit of delimiter fun - using a textarea to add info with a delimiter or some sort of marker so that you can sort it out in the template.

But the problem with that method is that it breaks the PW philosophy of having everything stored individually and correctly in the database - as Ryan has pointed out before, you end up creating a flat-file within a relational database.

Still, possible to do

Joss, Interesting approach with the page field and it shows yet again how flexible the system is. It might not be too convenient for clients though. But nice to know what's possible =)

Not a fan of delimiter fun ;D I used to do that ...