Urbanmotionbeats - Party website

Philipp

http://urbanmotionbeats.info

About the site

Urbanmotionbeats is a party website featuring facts about events, galleries and a list of DJs. The main goal was to create a site, where they can upload their photos after a party. Processwire was perfect for this: We could make a template with all details about an event, add the image field and were ready to go. 

Features

• Processwire with ProCache enabled together with Lazyloaded images for a good page speed
  • Event template with gallery and several text fields 
  • Homepage with random images, latest events and some text.
  • Integration of the Facebook Comments and like boxes
  • Responsive/Adaptive Design, because a lot of people will using this from their smartphone

Problems

We mostly had client problems. How to use the admin backend. Where are the limits of the Backend? How can I do X? Why does Safari on Windows not work with Drag'n'Drop? I've never though about, what would happen if someone uploads 300 pictures from a DSLR with 20MB each (Script Timeout). We've fixed most problems but also learned alot. Overall you can say, Processwire performed well. If our not so tech-savy clients would have to use another more bloated Backend they would be totally helpless.

What's next?

This site is only the first in a row. Other event "brands" from them will follow with a slightly modified design. We've written a JSON output so we can later combine all events from all sites (4 are planned) together in a portfolio site with a more business focused audience.

• Like 7

Great project, well done with processwire. You didn't mention anything about the Email Image Module and letting party people / guests / visitors make pictures with their mobile phone and send directly to the website.

Was it not part of the plan ? Heck, the possibilities are endless. Event organizers / DJ's / can put an emailaddress on their trucks / or where visitors enter the party / inside the party room / set up a best picture award / etc. etc.

Next big thing can be a Streamed Malware module (Ryan ?) that would have it's place in http://store.di.net/collections/software See the potential ?

Love it. And yes, with some thought you could have promoters adding photos on the actual night of an event as long as they're not uploading the 20mb versions.

Something I've used in the past is a Java upload/download script, so if the promoters had a laptop (won't work on a smartphone) images would get appropriately resized on their machine on the fly before upload (search javapowupload) and really cut down on upload times (thus is how Facebook used to do it). It would require a custom upload form but can be done relatively easily if you wanted to go down that route.

Thanks.

You didn't mention anything about the Email Image Module and letting party people / guests / visitors make pictures with their mobile phone and send directly to the website.

That's a great idea. Would be a real good use case for the module. We just need to think about, who can post and when? Where to display those images. But I will keep it in my mind. Thank your for that.

Something I've used in the past is a Java upload/download script, so if the promoters had a laptop (won't work on a smartphone) images would get appropriately resized on their machine on the fly before upload (search javapowupload) and really cut down on upload times (thus is how Facebook used to do it). It would require a custom upload form but can be done relatively easily if you wanted to go down that route.

Yes, that would be probably the best solution. But I'm not sure if I could build such a inputfield. Our solution was just to explain the client, that their photographers should resize the images before sending them. They run them all through a photoshop/lightroom batch so it isn't a problem to shrink the images.

Yeah, you're right - it would be a little complex as an inputfield.

This may help for the photographers then: http://www.dropresize.com/ Basically they can create a folder on their desktop, tell this program to monitor it and set some settings and then they simply copy images into it and they automatically get resized.

Would need some documentation though (the guy's site vanished with some dodgy host and hasn't been rebuilt yet, but it's not too complex to figure out from the app alone) but it would certainly make things much easier for the photographers :)

• Like 1

Lovely :)

Thanks. That's a great idea. Would be a real good use case for the module. We just need to think about, who can post and when? Where to display those images. But I will keep it in my mind. Thank your for that.

Maybe just use a custom instagram hashtag which will be displayed :)

• Like 1