rootParent selector?

adrian

I was hoping there would be a selector called rootParent. I ended up getting all the pages that matched the rest of my selectors and then filtered them out with $page->rootParent in the foreach loop. This isn't a bad option, but causes problems when using limit in the initial selector set.

Anyway, just wondering if there is a better way to do this, or if rootParent could be added as a selector. Maybe the template selector is a cleaner solution in most cases?

Yep, that would do it. I am still not quite always thinking in PW yet :)

I was initially setting it up as: $latest = $pages->find("rootParent=xxx, sort=-modified, limit=10"), but in reality I want to specify more than one rootParent, so I would need the ability for "get" or "find"ing more than one anyway, which isn't possible - correct?

Replace id and id2 with actual numbers in Soma's example. You can get the page numbers in the admin by clicking on a page name and clicking the edit button - their ID will be clear in the URL.

Hey Pete - yep, I was using proper page ID numbers. I actually just tested out a has_parent using the selector test tool, with multiple pipe-separated page IDs and found that it returns every page in my system including all admin/system pages. Each of the individual page IDs on their own work as expected.

Yes sorry, I forgot about it that it works only for 1 parent! Too many things in my head lately :)

However, maybe you can use "parent=id|id2|id3" if it only for direct children pages.

Maybe you can tell a little more about what you want to archive, I'm sure there's a good solution.

Hi Soma - no worries - I know how you feel :)

Basically what I am doing is creating a custom RSS feed and latest activity widget, but I only want to highlight details from certain sections of the site. I have some user edited pages, a user edited glossary, and a forum. These are the three parent pages. 

I ended up going with this which is a little ugly, but does the trick:

$latest = $pages->find("sort=-modified, limit=30");

$items = new PageArray;

foreach($latest as $lpage){
    if(($lpage->rootParent=='1130' || $lpage->rootParent=='1192' || $lpage->rootParent=='1021') && ($lpage!='1130' && $lpage!='1192' && $lpage!='1021')){
        $items->add($lpage);
    }
}

I actually might end up switching to a template selector as I think this will be cleaner and still achieve what I need. 

• Like 1

• 8 years later...