Pages2Pdf

Wanze

• 1 month later...

Hi, I'm using multi language support and everything is working well (great module btw) except for the text coming from a TextAreaLanguage field where I get missing characters, like in Portuguese, that are replaced by '?'. Anyone having this problem or know what can be wrong? Thanks.

Yes, those are on the front-end, but all the other content is ok except for the text coming from the TextAreaLanguage :/.

Are those question marks at the frontend? Then you are probably defining wrong character encoding in you template files or you have saved your template files with wrong encoding.

Hi zyON,

I think the problem is that the used fonts don't contain your portuguese characters. Can you try to change your WirePDF settings:

• Mode: "s" instead of "c"
  • Font: "DejaVuSans"

See this post for more information: https://processwire.com/talk/topic/3008-pages2pdf/page-6#entry96263

If this does not work, you'd probably need to add a font that supports your character set by yourself to mPDF.

• Like 3

Wanze: Thanks. You were right, I had to change it to DejaVuSans (but I also had to to copy the DejaVuSansCondensed family to the module ttfonts folder because it was looking for them somehow and throwing an error.

I was using Helvetica and it should contain Portuguese characters... I'm using it on the site text too. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Wanze,

I'm trying to use your module to send PDF invoices to customers of my store and I was wondering if it was possible to pass an object to the template similar to $template->set() works ...? 

Thanks,

thomas

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

after upgrading from 2.7.x to 3.0.5 I get this error when trying to download a pdf.
Superuser/Admin:
Parse Error: syntax error, unexpected ',' (line 8910 of /www/htdocs/.../site/modules/Pages2Pdf/mpdf/mpdf.php)

User:
Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Pages2Pdf 1.1.6

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys,

Thanks for reporting those errors. I'll find some time to make this module 3.x compatible in the next few days, I guess disabling the new FileCompiler for the external mpdf library should do the trick.

• Like 1

Hi folks,

I quickly tested locally with ProcessWire 3.x and it worked by disabling the file compiler for the external mpdf library. I need to test a bit more, especially the multi language support of the module, before I commit a new version. But if you want to make it work in the meantime, here you go:

1. Add // FileCompiler=0 to the first line after the php opening tag in the file /site/modules/Pages2Pdf/mpdf/mpdf.php
  2. Delete the folder /site/assets/cache/FileCompiler/site/modules/Pages2Pdf to make sure the module files are recompiled

Now generating and downloading PDFs should work :)

Cheers

• Like 6

• 4 weeks later...

Is it possible to have the PDF presented as an inline file rather than a download?

Whether a PDF file is downloaded or not depends on server configuration or browser settings and maybe on transferring the document files through PHP should it be the case.

eg.: https://www.devside.net/wamp-server/forcing-a-pdf-or-doc-to-open-in-browser-rather-than-downloading

Personally my Safari is set to force the download of any PHP file by turning off the viewer plugins. So you might need to check the client's setup as well.

• Like 1

@Asmordean

You might want to have a look at https://github.com/mozilla/pdf.js Widely used code for embedding PDFs in a standards-friendly way.

As szabesz said, you still need to check for the client's browser setup and act accordingly if you want to make sure that the PDF is embedded in your HTML. Here's some code to point you in the right direction: https://gist.github.com/falexandrou/9753871

Instead of using an Iframe you could embed it as an object (see the first link above).

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

I am not sure the best approach for this, but suggestions are appreciated. I have created a members portal that allow each member to select some "nodes" (pages) and stores them in a page field type that I have assigned to the user template which is an admin template. They can then download the pdf containing the pages that they have selected.

The issue is that I need to store the pdf's under each users page instead of the selected page. Is this possible? I would also really like to be able to use $user->name in the naming convention as well. I guess this would be possible using the hook you described here.

I think just appending the user's id to the file name would do the trick for now.

Awesome module by the way. Thanks for sharing it.

Hi RyanJ,

I think the problem is that the module does not allow you to select the user template in the settings, am I right?

Probably the simplest way would be to generate and store the PDFs by yourself with the module WirePDF. It's a wrapper around the mPDF library and included in the Pages2Pdf module. Check the examples here how to use the module, and please ask if you need further help in this.

Cheers

Hi Wanze, 

Thanks for pointing out the examples. I was hoping I could just append an id, but I have went the route you suggested. The problem I am having is actually getting the document to display. (I am getting a Failed to load PDF document message). I have a get variable set as ?pdf=1 and the pdf is being written to the folder using.

$pdf->save($page->filesManager->path . $file_name);
$pdf->download($file_name);

When I download the pdf, it is perfect, but viewing it in the browser is the issue.

Thanks for your assistance.

Updates:: forcing a download also has the same issue

$pdf->download($file_name, 'D');

Update::

This issue was where I was calling the module. It should go before the header file is included. This may or may not be the right solution, but it did to the trick for me. Although, there is some issues now with images not showing up.

Edited by RyanJ

Hi Ryan,

Strange, I've never seen this message before. Do you need to save the file or could you generate it dynamically when a download is requested? I'm thinking that maybe the combination of calling $pdf->save() first and then $pdf->download() afterwards has some issues. You could try these two approaches:

1) Save the PDF to the disk and let ProcessWire download it:

$pdf->save($page->filesManager->path . $file_name);
wireSendFile($page->filesManager->path . $file_name, array('forceDownload' => true));

You can also omit the forceDownload and see if it works.

2) Don't save the PDF to disk, always create it dynamically and download it:

$pdf->download($file_name);

Does any this work? :)

Cheers

• Like 1

Hi Wanze, 

That did the trick. I commented out the saving of the file and all appears to be working now (Virtual Hug). Am I write that the file call's the module needs to be included before any other files? I am assuming this has to do wit the header that has to be sent.