learning php

Chris

• 3 weeks later...

I too am learning PHP with my passion for PW growing ever more each day. I have used all the references listed above as well as currently taking the Codecademy course as we speak. I have to say, the Codecademy bugs are driving me crazy!! The resource I use the most though is http://safaribooksonline.com/ . I pay only $9 a month and can have up to 5 books per month in the allowed slot. Their website says $19 for up to 10 books but there is a reduced rate if you dig. I find it invaluable especially for the price. They not only have butt-loads of PHP books but also pretty much every web dev, design, programming topic.

I too second https://phpacademy.org/ .It is an excellent free resource (video based). I have watched every video on that site and even donated because that's how good it is. I am not a fan of videos but the way that guy explains things is worth watching.

Good luck and stick with it. I have read, re-read and studied but always seem to never "get" it. The best advice I ever read was to just jump in. Seriously, you can study all you want but without having something to practice with, it's 1 dimensional.  WIth PW being PHP based, and me wanting to learn PHP, it's a perfect combo. Like one of those combos you get with the extra fries at the bottom of the bag :)

• 2 weeks later...

And the classic  PHP 101 by Vikram Vaswani. It's old, but still a gem...This is written in fun, easy-to-follow tongue-in-cheek style in 15 parts. Some is way advanced for mortals like myself and I'll probably never need to be that advanced. It's the best PHP tutorial I've seen anywhere.

BTW: You''ll get 404s for some of the lessons but nothing that Google wasn't able to find...

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I have struggled understanding OOP and just so happen run across this one. It is designed around WordPress, but could be applied to any platform. I have read a few series from the author and he has a way of breaking things down so they are easily understood.

I helps make the water a bit clearer.

http://code.tutsplus.com/tutorials/object-oriented-programming-in-wordpress-types--cms-20299

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I recently decided I have to do some proper PHP learning so I read Learning PHP, MySQL, JavaScript, CSS & HTML5 and then PHP Objects, Patterns, and Practice for some hardcore OOP stuff. Reading about OOP design patterns got me thinking maybe there could be a Processwire design pattern collection. It would contain high-level design patterns that would teach aspiring PW users to think in the language of pages, fields and templates.

Obviously I'm in the phase of letting all this OOP sorcery sink in, so I'm just throwing this idea out to you PW gurus. Is there merit to my idea or did the combination of sun & OOP information overload simply soften my head?

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

With a little help from @Kongondo, I have finally committed to taking some lessons PHP beyond what I can learn messing around with my PW install.

Here are the best-looking tutorials I have found so far...

I also found Rocky's Boots helpful for learning logic - not sure if anyone else will like it.

Please let me know if you have a favorite resource for learning PHP. Also, if anyone can vouch for the usefulness of either of the above tutorials, please let me know!

It would be great if this thread could become a resource for all others new to PW and PHP - I hope there are many!

EDIT: I have just been directed to the other forums on this topic:

learning php 

Learning PHP: where to learn (just enough to make living w/ PW easier)

Post your suggestions there, I guess!

Edited by kongondo
@Kathep - I've merged your thread with this one

• 3 years later...