Blog with PW

aren

I'm liking ProcessWire very much, but I still find setting a blog with it sooo complicated compared to others CMSs. 

Most of my projects use blogs and news sections, so may I ask if there's any plans to simplify the blogging setup in the future?

And for now, is there any *simple* blog profile (just title, date, category and post) with *no* CSS styles - just a blank slate?

Thanks!  ;)

What about a simple blog tutorial? That might be more flexible than a profile. Especially if you are building on an existing PW site. It's really straightforward to set up something like that.

Right, here you go!

This is three files complete with instructions for creating news.

You need to do some work, but a lot of it is done already.

Full instructions are in the newsfunctions.inc file.

Just copy the three files to /site/templates/ and then change as you wish.

This does not NOW includes categories - just a simple news posting. But it is enough to get you started.

It is for a main news page that lists news articles and links them through to their own template.

The news articles are all pages created under a hidden page.

The main news index page includes pagination.

https://github.com/jsanglier/Pw-News

Joss

• Like 2

@ Aren

One thing you need to remember is that ProcessWire is designed to allow you to develop any sort of website - so doing some sort of a blog is only one of thousands of things you might do.

Also, a blog you might want may well be completely different to what another developer wants.

However, it is not that complicated - the news system I have just posted for you took me an hour or so from scratch, including writing all the instructions. And I am not a developer!

So, while there is no blogging setup in ProcessWire to simplify, little bits of code that can speed up development is never a bad things to have kicking around.

There is another post going around titled "Repository of php Scripts for Templates" -> http://processwire.com/talk/topic/1018-repository-of-php-scripts-for-templates/

Maybe we can take this opportunity to post little addon snippets to the above news/articles "gizmo", lol, I don't know what to call it, gizmo felt appropriate!

I've got the above downloaded and installing later.

If I make any changes, I'll tidy things up and I'd like to share them here.

• Like 1

Please do.

I had to make some odd changes to it because, of course, I created it with one of my installs which has things in strange places! 

I think I changed it to fit a standard install, however.