Sys admin problem - can't login

benbyf

Hi guys just moved from 34sp servers to lcn.com ones and as always something had to go wrong... transferred the db and files and linked up, everything worked until I tried logining in - I can't, no errors on the front end. I was also having trouble uploding images on some of my other sites :(

So im guessing its a permissions issue just wondering what it might be, whether i just need to do something on .htacess or whether my hosting providerings can help.

I hate sys admin :(

Please any help would be great,

Ben

I'd suggest trying a fresh install first.

If that works, then replace the fresh installed files with the ones you moved over.

and database? this is a problem across most of my sites (more than 20) so not an attractive prospect

Curious - did you start getting front end errors after your login attempt? I came across some weirdness like this the other day making my first PW site live. Both dev and live are on the same server, so in my case I think it was a caching issue - an apache restart did the trick. Might be worth trying as a quick fix. Otherwise, it does look potentially like you have some path issues.

When I'm installing to a new server where I'm not totally sure about the capabilities of it, I install a fresh/new copy of PW just to test and see if the installer complains about anything. That doesn't mean you have to use that fresh copy for the actual site, but it does give you a picture of potential issues that might need to be addressed on the server side. 

Based on the error message you got (a missing image) I would guess that not all the files made it over in the transfer, and it might be as simple as just attempting to transfer them again. However, the error you got was a Warning rather than a fatal error, so it shouldn't prevent the site from running. There's always a chance you were getting the same warning on your dev server, but didn't see it because debug mode was off. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks ryan,

not sure if the is one but i seem to have issues everytime i move, or migate a site using processwire to another folder or server - wondering if there is a better way to test or to automate migrations maybe? just thinking out loud.

also I remeber someone telling me about a bit of php i could add somewhere to allow me to simply bypass the db and log straight in so i could quickly edit the site while teh sessions or permissions of something werent working quite right, anyone know what that was??

Thanks

not sure if the is one but i seem to have issues everytime i move, or migate a site using processwire to another folder or server - wondering if there is a better way to test or to automate migrations maybe? just thinking out loud.

If you are running into the same issues every time you migrate (regardless of server), look into what tool is being used to transfer files. Make sure you are using something that retains file permissions and that does some QA to make sure the files actually made it. Personally, I've always used rsync and it's always worked quite well. If the server doesn't give me shell access, then I'll use SFTP/FTPS with YummyFTP (OS X). 

also I remeber someone telling me about a bit of php i could add somewhere to allow me to simply bypass the db and log straight in so i could quickly edit the site while teh sessions or permissions of something werent working quite right, anyone know what that was??

I'm not aware of anything like this. While you could use ProcessWire from the API without functional sessions, you couldn't login to it if sessions weren't working. And you couldn't do anything if the DB wasn't functional. If sessions aren't working, just double check that your /site/assets/sessions/ directory is writable.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks ryan. Using the 'forgotten your email' module from now on.

still having massive permission issues but i think its because I was using root and then switched to the ftp user and cant sorted it with either now. boo :(

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

PW uses different kind of hash generation (?) depending on server php version. So for example, when you develop your site on localhost using php 5.4 and then migrate site to live server using older php like 5.2.x, all user accounts created from 5.4 server are now unloggable. Just something to keep in mind.

Passwords are quite easy to reset using API as Ryan describes here:

http://processwire.com/talk/topic/490-how-to-reset-your-password-how-to-enable-the-forgot-password-function/

This is only something you have to consider if going from a PHP version 5.3.x or newer, and migrating it to a site running PHP 5.2.x. You wouldn't run into this issue going from say PHP 5.4.x to 5.3.x.

Also keep in mind that PHP 5.2.x was EOL'd more than 2 years ago. Any servers running PHP 5.2.x need to be upgraded very soon, just as a matter of security. ProcessWire 2.3 is the last version to support PHP 5.2, as PW 2.4 will require 5.3.8 or newer. 

• Like 1