Module: Version Control For Text Fields

teppo

This module provides simplified (no fancy diff etc. features available, at least yet) version control for text type fields. Originally introduced in another post as a proof of concept, I'm now considering it stable enough to deserve a thread of it's own here.

Just so that you know: I've tested this module in multiple ProcessWire installations, three or four different versions in total running on two different platforms, but it still hasn't seen too much real world use. Any information you folks can provide me about how well (or badly) it worked (or didn't work) for you would be considered extremely helpful! :)

So, what does it do?

When editing pages, fields with old revisions available show up with a new icon in their header bars. By hovering that icon you get a list of available revisions and by clicking any one of those the value of that particular field is reverted to that revision. No changes are made to page until you choose a revision and save the page, which means that you can keep switching between revisions to get an idea what's really changed without inadvertently causing any content to change.

How does it work?

Behind the scenes hooks provided by ProcessWire are utilized to catch page edits. If text fields (such as FieldtypeText, FieldtypeTextarea etc.) selected at module configuration to be tracked were changed, their values (along with some metadata) are saved to two custom database tables. See attached screenshots for better idea about how this thing works.

Please note that before you've selected at least one template + field combination to be tracked via module settings nothing will be saved to database!

Getting started

Module is available at GitHub: https://github.com/teppokoivula/VersionControlForTextFields. Here's a direct download link if that's what you prefer. Installation instructions etc. are available at README.md.

If you've got any questions, feel free to post them here or PM me!

post-175-0-28801100-1361741766_thumb.png

post-175-0-97751100-1361741767_thumb.png

• Like 14

Nice work!

I was talking to ryan what seems like ages ago now about version control and I remember stumbling across this easy to use diff class that might help in a future version: https://github.com/chrisboulton/php-diff

EDIT: I just noticed that someone has built a useful jQuery merging tool that would also help of you follow the link above and read the readme :)

• Like 2

I'm happy to hear that you guys find this module useful. I haven't had too much (/any) time to work on this module yet (current status: spitting out essays for school at lightning speed..) but hopefully should get to use most of next weekend adding and fixing things here and there :)

Looks very useful, thanks teppo!
Will try out this soon. Does it also work for multi-language fields?

At the moment those arent supported, but that's going to be the very next thing I'll be adding (I hope.) Language-alternate fields are no problem since they're actually separate fields, but multi-language fields use slightly different schema and thus require some extra care here.

I actually tested what happens if you enable this module for multi-language field and the result was pretty much as expected: only version that gets saved is the original one (column "data" in field_fieldname table) and if you attempt to roll back an old revision all language versions are replaced with that one. Not exactly useful.. luckily I did kind of expect something like this to come up, so this shouldn't be a huge thing to implement :)

I was talking to ryan what seems like ages ago now about version control and I remember stumbling across this easy to use diff class that might help in a future version: https://github.com/c...oulton/php-diff

EDIT: I just noticed that someone has built a useful jQuery merging tool that would also help of you follow the link above and read the readme  :)

Thanks, Pete! I'll definitely take a look at these ASAP.

There were couple of PHP diff libraries I originally browsed through and this may have been one of those, can't really remember anymore. Originally I were a bit worried about including an external library like that with a module. Perhaps that's not such a bad thing after all -- and BSD license should definitely make it possible. Anyway, I'll check this library (and that jQuery merge tool you mentioned) properly as soon as I get some free time :)

Probably the most straightforward way to achieve diff-like capabilities would be building on current method (storing full data etc.) and then either running PHP diff at Process module and getting output via AJAX call or (what I originally planned to do, and still would kind of like to try out) use something like this JavaScript diff algorithm by John Resig.

• Like 3

Version 0.9.2 of this module (just pushed to GitHub) introduces support for multi-language fields. See commit details for more info.

I've also brought in some minor fixes etc. during this weekend, so if you've installed this module you should consider updating.

• Like 5

Finally tried it out and very cool module! Thanks a lot tepp for the work.

I had some time to get how to get it to work as I was looking for the configuration. I didn't realize there's two modules... only after reading the get started again slowly it clicked. I always looked in the process module.

Sometime those module that have more than one .module can get confusing, almost annoying. It would be cool in general to have modules grouped together. It's all there but sometimes when installing a new module hard to find if you don't know/remember what to look for.

I noticed when looking for help, that there's version 091 on modules.processwire.com but it downloaded the one from github anyway with modules manager, but wanted to let you know you'd have to update that version on modules.processwire.com to get recognized as new version in modules manager.

• Like 1

teppo - not sure if you want issues listed here or on github, but with the new version I am getting this error:

"Method VersionControlForTextFields::removeExcessRows does not exist or is not callable in this context"

Reverting to old version fixed it.

@adrian: thanks for reporting this. That problem was introduced in a recent update, but I'm pretty sure I've fixed it already. Could you check that you're running latest version, 0.9.4?

Finally tried it out and very cool module! Thanks a lot tepp for the work.

Thanks, really appreciate your feedback :)

I had some time to get how to get it to work as I was looking for the configuration. I didn't realize there's two modules... only after reading the get started again slowly it clicked. I always looked in the process module.

Sometime those module that have more than one .module can get confusing, almost annoying. It would be cool in general to have modules grouped together. It's all there but sometimes when installing a new module hard to find if you don't know/remember what to look for.

I know exactly what you're talking about, it's a bit frustrating.. especially since a lot of things I've worked on lately have been a combination of two or even three modules. Anyway, for now adding a notice to ProcessRevisionHistoryForTextFields.module about some settings being in VersionControlForTextFields.module (and vice versa) should help others avoid this problem.

I noticed when looking for help, that there's version 091 on modules.processwire.com but it downloaded the one from github anyway with modules manager, but wanted to let you know you'd have to update that version on modules.processwire.com to get recognized as new version in modules manager.

I haven't been keeping my modules 100% up to date in the modules directory, should probably start doing that right now. Thanks for pointing this out!

• Like 1

Just pushed version 1.0.0 (yay!) to GitHub. No huge improvements involved this time either, just some minor additions, comments, overall consistency checks etc.. and of course support for fantastic new CKEditor inputfield Ryan is working on  :)

One notable thing is that now tables created during install actually have proper (?) indexes included. If you've installed this module earlier and want to add these without uninstalling this module first, it's quite simple to do via MySQL client (I'm not familiar enough with PHPMyAdmin to say for sure, but this is probably easy to do there too):

CREATE INDEX fields_id ON version_control_for_text_fields (fields_id);
CREATE INDEX version_control_for_text_fields_id ON version_control_for_text_fields__data (version_control_for_text_fields_id);

Don't worry too much if this seems difficult; these won't make any difference before you've got at least ~50k rows of history data (and even then the difference is minimal.) They should make things a bit faster especially if your site is very large, constantly updated and/or you want to keep history data "forever."

• Like 3

Hello, this module is a very good idea. I've installed the latest version (1.0.1) and configured following the instructions, but it doesn't work (no history options at body section - with tinyMCE). I'm using xampp 3.1.0 and latest ProcessWire 2.2.9. Please help.

Hello, this module is a very good idea. I've installed the latest version (1.0.1) and configured following the instructions, but it doesn't work (no history options at body section - with tinyMCE). I'm using xampp 3.1.0 and latest ProcessWire 2.2.9. Please help.

Just tested this in 2.2.9 and everything seems to work here, so I'll have to ask couple of questions to find out what exactly could be wrong:

• First of all, have you selected fields and templates from module settings? Both are required in order for any data to be gathered.
  • Are there rows in your version_control_for_text_fields database table? (It'd be helpful to know if any data is being stored at all..)
  • Is there anything strange in PW error log (/site/assets/logs/errors.txt) and are you getting any JavaScript errors?

It would also be helpful to know a bit more about your environment so that I can try to reproduce this problem myself -- things like what OS is your site running on, have you installed other 3rd party modules and are you using default admin template or something else. If you wish you could also PM me with any extra details.

After install this module I changed something in my body field - and there was no history. But after second change the history appeared. So I think, that I didn't understand how it works and when it starts working - but it works fine :)

But I have another problem. History is viewable only by user with superuser permision. In my processwire I have also role with only view and edit pages permission. Is there any posibility to show history for this user?

I've ran into it again. You have to save the page twice once you have installed the module. In retrospect this is quite obvious, but if you install the module and you look for the icon it's not there at first. There has to be history to show the history.

Teppo, is this module supposed to work with CKEditor? When I switch to another version it keeps loading. I'm getting a js error: Uncaught ReferenceError: tinyMCE is not defined. The field itself is configured as an CKeditor type. I'm running 2.3.0.

@arjen: current behavior was supposed to be an improvement compared to how it used to work (show one version, which was always active, right after first save) but now I'm starting to think that perhaps it was a mistake. I'll have to think about this a bit more. There are quite a few possible solutions for improving this, I'm just not quite sure (yet) which one would work best here..  :)

About this error, are you already using latest version, 1.0.2? This issue was reported by @apeisa earlier (not in this thread though) and should be fixed now. If it still exists, I'll have to take another look at that one too.

• Like 1

An option would be to always show the icon. If a user clicks a field with no history a simple message like "There are no earlier versions of this field" would be sufficient.

I will look into the version tonight and I will report back.

• Like 1

I have to say when I first installed it also took a time to realize to change text and save before seeing an icon. But if I remember correctly I had to save and change 2 times to get it show up, is that intended? I think it would be better to show the icon from beginning to avoid confusion, and show a little text

edit: too slow...

• Like 1