Can we create a forum in Processwire?

Vineet Sawant

Hello,
I wish to create a forum as it's one of the features of the social network that I'm building with ProcessWire.
It'll be much like yahoo answers. It will have questions & registered users can answer the questions as well as ask new questions.
In the end a best answer will be chosen by the asker but I'm keeping this feature for future, right now I just need following:

• A way for registered users to ask question
  • A way for registered users to answer question
  • A way for all users to view all questions & answers

As I'm not a very skilled or experienced php developer, also I'm new to ProcessWire, I'm totally clueless on how can I manage to make this.
My initial thought was to modify & use comments system but I'm not sure how good this idea is.

I'd love to hear your approach for this task.

Thank you very much for your time.

There is a discussions module around you might want to start with.

And there is also a threaded addition for comments - both of those might give you some clues.

If you are looking for ideas, I suggest you go and download and install Liferay.com (the community addition comes complete with a tomcat server and database, so you can just install and run it.)

It is probably the most complete community system I have come across, but it is HUGE and runs with JAVA and can bring just about anything to a shuddering halt. 

But it is full of incredible ideas and will give you an idea of what is possible.

• Like 1

Hey Joss,

Thanks for your reply.

Discussions module looks really good. I checked out liferay.com as well.

Since this forum that I'm creating will also include a score like yahoo answers which will be stored for every user and then reflected on his/her profile, I think it's better to create a custom forum using PW's module only.

I will give it a try. Thanks again.

• Like 1