favorite programming music

Martijn Geerts

This is a little off topic, but since it involves headphones, it's probably more in topic here than anywhere else in the forum. :) If you haven't heard 3D stereoscopic sound (I hadn't), you need to try it, it's really quite cool. To experience it, you need to use stereo headphones.

Virtual barber shop (this one works best if you close your eyes): 

Thunderspace (put headlines on and click play on the video): 

http://thunderspace.me/

What's cool is also how simple 3d stereoscopic sound is to achieve. You just record the sound with two microphones: one where each ear would be on a person. Your mind apparently does the rest in making it 3d/spacial. 

• Like 6

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

This is a little off topic, but since it involves headphones, it's probably more in topic here than anywhere else in the forum. :) If you haven't heard 3D stereoscopic sound (I hadn't), you need to try it, it's really quite cool. To experience it, you need to use stereo headphones.

Virtual barber shop (this one works best if you close your eyes): 

Thunderspace (put headlines on and click play on the video): 

http://thunderspace.me/

What's cool is also how simple 3d stereoscopic sound is to achieve. You just record the sound with two microphones: one where each ear would be on a person. Your mind apparently does the rest in making it 3d/spacial. 

That's sensational Ryan!

• 2 weeks later...

At work I'm mostly listening to some youtube playlists..

For a "relaxed" working athmosphere my favorite yt channels are the sound you needhttps://www.youtube.com/user/thesoundyouneed1  (mostly house, some hip-hop) and liquicityhttps://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSXm6c-n6lsjtyjvdD0bFVw (liquid drum and bass)

For "getting things done" I'm quite a big fan of... "BASS" :)

:D
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I like movie soundtracks - thing is that when sosomething exciting is happening in the music it can be as distracting as vocals :)

I'll try a few of the links in this topic I think and see how I get on.

As a composer, the thing I MUST avoid is anything I have written, or anything written in a style that I like. The trouble is that I start picking holes in it and forget the work I am meant to be doing and end up writing music instead.

So, inevitably I end up either sitting in silence or listening to  Manuel & The Music of the Mountains or Pan Pipes - which is pretty much the same as silence, to be honest.

• Like 1

Now listening awesome music from Czech Republic and seems like its worked.

I kind of like these, though the lyrics don't make any sense to me :)

Funny thing though; title of second song, "Kansanlaulu", is Finnish word for "folk song." Does that mean something in Czech too? Wouldn't, of course, be the first time a band took song name that sounded "cool" or "funny" from another language.

Speaking of folk songs (kind of), I've recently taken a liking to the debut album of Finnish composer Antti Martikainen, labeled "Creation of the World". Works wonders when I'm trying to forget my surroundings and concentrate on one thing, such as writing code :)

I kind of like these, though the lyrics don't make any sense to me :)

Funny thing though; title of second song, "Kansanlaulu", is Finnish word for "folk song." Does that mean something in Czech too? Wouldn't, of course, be the first time a band took song name that sounded "cool" or "funny" from another language.

Speaking of folk songs (kind of), I've recently taken a liking to the debut album of Finnish composer Antti Martikainen, labeled "Creation of the World". Works wonders when I'm trying to forget my surroundings and concentrate on one thing, such as writing code :)

Čankišou band uses own non existing language. So i can not understand too.

Antti Martikainen is quite neutral, i tested it and feels like i play some old strategic game thanks :D

This is real czech language.

• 1 month later...

Not especially related to programming, but I just learned of Finnish band Ultra Bra, and considering I speak no Finnish whatsoever and understand not one word of their lyrics, they sound wonderful. I'm just a few years late...

(The only other band I really enjoy even though I don't speak the language is Runrig, who sing in Gaelic.)

• Like 4

On WNYC I have found an interesting podcast archive called "New Sounds" with very different 'none mainstream' music in it.

I came across this when research on my own name :) , - they use a picture that I have shot: O Berimbau

---

all podcasts, Rythms of Minimalism, Piano Grooves, The New Latin TingeAcoustic World Music, & more podcasts

Edited by horst
  • Like 3