favorite programming music

Martijn Geerts

Hey, I was in the Netherlands today and have seen this grooveshark-thing. Cool, to bad that they have stopped the service in germany.
I have made an account and created a playlist that I can share now :) :

listen to the women

Hopefully I have done everything right so that others can listen to it now ?!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Ah, so we're discussing music, that's cool.

Following is my list of programming music:

• Led Zeppelin (All of their songs, nothing gets better than Zeppelins)
  • AC/DC, Queen
  • Some Classic Blues rock from 50s & 60s
  • Some songs from The Eagles, Pink Floyd, Jose Feliciano, Bill Withers, The Cranberries, Louis Armstrong, Hall and Oates, Lionel Richie, The Mamas & The Papas, etc.
  • The Beatles (occasionally)
  • The Smiths
  • Adele (late nights sometimes)
  • Avril Lavigne (occasionally)

:)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

If I have to be very focused I listen to soft electronic music like Liquid Drum'n'Bass (click) or the awesome Unreal Tournament Classic Soundtrack (

).

If I know exactly what to to and just cross off things my todo list I listen to rock/metal/chiptunes/techno/classic or pretty much anything else.

I very rarely work without music, only when I forgot to turn it back on after being very excited about something and just work away.

I generally dislike music feat. vocals (too distracting) while working, so it's usually some kind of ambient stuff (Eno & Co.), or classical music.

http://somafm.com/ has a few excellent channels

http://www.radioswissclassic.ch/de

If I'm doing Photoshop work (you know, using the other half of the brain), it's hard to beat Radio Paradise: http://www.radioparadise.com/rp_2.php?#

Unfortunately I can't listen to music when coding at all. I'm with dragan in that the only thing I can handle is ambient or classical stuff, and even that can be too much distraction. The only time I do it is if there is some other noise that is more distracting that I need to muffle out. I do like listening to music when working in Photoshop or doing some kind of data entry, content population, etc.

Hehe, I was about to write already, that I kinda can't understand people listen to music when working/coding. I can't, as if coding wasn't hard enough and doesn't need your attention fully - how the hell can you listen to music!?

I remember that THE best animator of our time Milt Kahl (Disney) was once asked by his animator fellows, if he listens to music while drawing. He almost got angry at them yelling what I said above. :)

It does distract me. I love to listen to silence when I'm focusing on it only. When I'm focusing on something else, it distracts me. I like to work with music or in a coffee place. But that's me. Maybe I am empty and never noticed it :P

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hahajaja guys I'm just kidding. I'm just talking about listen to music. No music doesn't mean absolute silence. Absolute silence can feel odd but as long as there is noise around it doesn't count as silence. I also can better if there is some natural noise going and I mostly feel focused when working at night with some zzirps doing their singing outside its like meditation. But certain music just distacts when doing complex work. I also listen to music when doing easy work.

• Like 2

some zzirps doing their singing outside its like meditation

Here I have mostly vruuums and beeps, and even dling-dlongs from the church bell ;)

Edit: "Here" means Frankfurt, not Porto :)

• Like 2