favorite programming music

Martijn Geerts

Current programming playlist is a mix of Die Antwoord (they released a new album earlier this month so got some catching up to do), Little Big ("the Russian Die Antwoord"), and some random NYHC songs just to crank things up a bit every now and then. Works wonders for me.

6 hours ago, Macrura said:

The Shadows (Greatest Hits etc.)

I'm pretty sure I've still got an LP from The Shadows somewhere. One of the first ones I ever bought and to be honest I'm not entirely sure if I've even listened to it properly – got lured in by the cover art and the rest is history.. :)

• Like 1

Shameless self plug warning :

I'm currently in the process of migrating my electronic / dance music mixes to Orfium from Soundcloud.

I like to think my mixes are more accessible to people than most, even if you're not into the genre.

Like all my free offer posts, this is also free to try :)

Update : Changed link to Mixcloud from Orphium.

https://www.mixcloud.com/AlQabron/

Edited by FrancisChung
New Links

On 9/26/2016 at 7:09 AM, Macrura said:

last couple of days

The Shadows (Greatest Hits etc.)
Misc classic jazz
Steve Reich (Music for 18 Musicians etc)
Gurdjieff/De Hartmann Piano music
Scott Walker (film score and instrumental selections)

I don't see the Gurdjieff/De Hartmann music name-checked too often, I'm familiar with Cecil Lytle's recordings. Are you into Gurdjieff's teachings? Such an interesting person with some amazing ideas!

When I'm working and things are crazy, ambient music helps get me in a productive frame of mind - my favorites include:

• Brian Eno's "Discreet Music" "Music for Airports" and "Another Green World" (I've listened to this maybe 1,000 times and still hear new things!)
  • Daniel Lanois' "Belladonna" and "Apollo" (one of many Eno collabs)
  • Bill Laswell "Radioaxiom: Bass the Final Frontier" and his remix of Gigi's "Illuminated Audio"
  • Like 1

i am indeed somewhat a follower of the 'fourth way'... there are a lot of recordings of those piano arrangements, i have Alain Kremski and Keith Jarret which are all good..

I used to listen to Discreet Music a lot, on vinyl

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
On 25/02/2014 at 1:15 PM, Joss said:

Yeah, always likes that!

I remember the original by Trent Reznor

Freakin awesome song. Love the Johnny Cash version too.

When coding, my only music is the drone of the tutors' voice in the non-stop tutorials I seem to be doing... thanks JavaScript. When reading (JS books of course atm) I need quiet.

When I'm in the car however, all hell breaks loose to free me from the constant brain melt of learning programming!

...and when I finally calm down, something more like this:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just discovered this topic, and it's great! Bit late, but hey better later than never :) 

Below some of the music I listen to while coding besides Epic music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4nKOzk8qbw&index=64&list=WL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GkYZH7AoS4&index=53&list=WL

If the music has a decent beat, the singer a nice voice then I'm in!

Excellent infographics, @diogo.

I can agree with most of the things in there although I normally start the day out with classical music and progressively branch out to other genres.
I normally go to Idagio for my classical music fix.

I've also recently started listening to some buddhist chants like below if I wanted to get into a bit of a "trance", although I can see this not being to everyone's taste.

Finally, someone recently mentioned this to me (haven't tried it yet), but I recall of seeing it possibly on this forum first?
https://www.noisli.com/

• 3 months later...

There's a story from Richard WIlliams (Animators Survival Kit), asking Milt Kahl (greatest Animator who ever lived) if he also listens to classical music during work. Milt responded, that this is the most stupid question ever, and that he's too stupid to do more than one thing at a time. 

Richard became a better animator instantly not listening to music anymore. He educated many animators working on computer, very addicted to music, to stop it and they all improved in their work a lot. 

Since I stopped listening to music (which is hard at first) while programming or painting I noticed a lot of improvement in my work.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Soma said:

Since I stopped listening to music (which is hard at first) while programming or painting I noticed a lot of improvement in my work.

Very interesting post. I will listen to music while (graphic) designing and I haven't noticed any ill effects there, but if I am planning or coding I find it has a negative impact. Especially when debugging or trying to think laterally about a challenging task. Even the most ambient of background noise I find distracting in those circumstances - like some of the brain's energy gets unconsciously diverted to listening and you can bring less resources to bear on the issue as a result.

8 hours ago, Soma said:

or painting I noticed a lot of improvement in my work

Do you have an online portfolio of paintings? Would love to see some of your work. :-)

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Robin S said:

I will listen to music while (graphic) designing and I haven't noticed any ill effects there, but if I am planning or coding I find it has a negative impact.

I also listen to music when doing graphic design but only sometimes ( when getting bored a bit :) ). If I want to be creative I need silence. When doing routine work music is okay, however, when being creative or trying to innovate and/or develop I think any distraction has an effect, that is why I prefer silence in these scenarios. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Lately I saw a documentation in german TV. They let people do some creative brain work that used the people highly to concentrate and focus on it. 

A few parts (3-4), where every part was no longer than 10 to 15 minutes. 

Another group has done the same, but after 1 or 2 creative parts, they had to do some repetitive or "stupid" or "dumb" work for 10 to 15 minutes, before they continue with the creative work. 

All people from the second group were much more effective in the later creative parts than the people from the first group. 

I personally would not call those intermediate parts "stupid" or "dumb". I call them activities with meditative character. ?

• Like 4

On 11/21/2017 at 6:48 AM, Soma said:

There's a story from Richard WIlliams (Animators Survival Kit), asking Milt Kahl (greatest Animator who ever lived) if he also listens to classical music during work. Milt responded, that this is the most stupid question ever, and that he's too stupid to do more than one thing at a time. 

That book is GOLD, its content made such an impression on me that I also instantly took that advice and never listen to music again when coding/designing/drawing. It's the closest I have to a Bible. 

• Like 2

• 9 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Not while programming, but when doing image manipulations and administrative tasks like site transitions (dev > stage > public) etc:

HipHop in german language, from a young women living in cologne (germany), Leila Akinyi.

For those who do not understand the text, it also is worth to listen the music and view the videos. ?

My favourite is this one:

And my second favourite: