HTML elements for design pattern of "hourly" calendar view?

BrendonKoz

I'm trying to determine how to do an hourly "Daily" display for a calendar system. When I look at Yahoo or similarly design properties for calendars, when they do the hourly-separated daily calendars, it looks great. I'd kind of like to do something similar to that at least. Unfortunately, I'm having trouble trying to figure out how it's done. It appears as though Yahoo (and Hotmail, etc.) use a large amount of JavaScript to get the rendering to look the way it does. I'd have to imagine that CSS could do a decent enough job at this point with a modern browser.

Immediately I think "tables", but then I wonder if it should be a list item (since things in an hourly fashion really are a chronological list). If it's a list, how would the markup (CSS) work? How would the labels to denote the hours be aligned properly to the left? I haven't yet been able to figure it out.

Any ideas from those of you who may have already implemented your own, or anyone that just has an idea? I'm OK with using tables since the data will be tabular, but realistically it also is chronological (a list). Darn semantics!

Example image of what I'm trying to achieve.