Unable to obtain lock for session with SessionHandlerDB and Tracy enebled

gebeer

Hi,

in reference to https://processwire.com/talk/topic/26070-error-exception-unable-to-obtain-lock-for-session/ I need to bring this up again.

Happens on PW 3.0.208, with TracyDebugger 4.23.33. Only when SessionHandlerDB is installed.

The error

Fatal error: Exception: Unable to obtain lock for session (retry in 30s) (in xxx/wire/modules/Session/SessionHandlerDB/SessionHandlerDB.module line 96) #0 [internal function]: ProcessWire\SessionHandlerDB->read('836ab08de536179...') #1 xxx/wire/core/Session.php(327): session_start(Array) #2 xxx/wire/core/Wire.php(413): ProcessWire\Session->___init() #3 xxx/wire/core/WireHooks.php(952): ProcessWire\Wire->_callMethod('___init', Array) #4 xxx/wire/core/Wire.php(484): ProcessWire\WireHooks->runHooks(Object(ProcessWire\Session), 'init', Array) #5 xxx/wire/core/Session.php(205): ProcessWire\Wire->__call('init', Array) #6 xxx/wire/core/ProcessWire.php(581): ProcessWire\Session->__construct(Object(ProcessWire\ProcessWire)) #7 xxx/wire/core/ProcessWire.php(315): ProcessWire\ProcessWire->load(Object(ProcessWire\Config)) #8 xxx/index.php(52): ProcessWire\ProcessWire->__construct(Object(ProcessWire\Config)) #9 {main} in xxx/index.php on line 64

No error when I disable Tracy.

Sorry if this has been brought up before or even fixed already. I am not aware of that.

This only happens on the staging server, not in the local ddev environment. Both PHP 8.1., MariaDB 10.5.19.

6 minutes ago, bernhard said:

I'm also seeing this from time to time (but only on local ddev). Do you know WHEN the error occurs? I think in my case it was while debugging via xdebug so I didn't really care.

For me the error occurs every time I try to use the InputfieldSelector field for indexing pages in SearchEngine module after choosing "template":

60821271_2023-05-23-145635.png.1ca553ab5a609d211fc36fd2257d6dbf.png

This is issuing an XHR Request to: https://ziehm.ddev.site/processwire/module/?InputfieldSelector=opval&field=template&type=&name=index_pages_now_selector

@gebeer - are you running PHP8? If so, it might make a difference if you update to the latest Tracy - back in March there was an update to the Tracy core (which is PHP 8 only, although I maintain older versions within the package for those on older PHP versions so upgrading won't hurt).

The other thing to make sure is that the "Use Native PHP Session" setting is unchecked.

If those don't help, I am not sure what to do at this point - I can't count the amount of time I have spent workaround issues with SessionHandlerDB and Tracy.

Are we sure Tracy is causing the error as opposed to only reporting the error? As in, maybe the session lock times out regardless of whether Tracy is installed, but without Tracy installed you never learn about it. The timeout is a configurable setting in SessionHandlerDB so maybe the solution is that if you expect to run tasks that can take longer than the 50 second default you increase that setting, or if the long task is triggered by your own code do a $session->close() immediately before the task.

Or is the sort of exception thrown by SessionHandlerDB when the lock times out supposed to be more silent? There was a Tracy issue similar to that but it was fixed a while back: https://github.com/adrianbj/TracyDebugger/issues/58

• Like 1

Thanks for chiming in @Robin S - I was out when I replied above. Good point about reporting vs causing. Also, in case it helps, I do on rare occasions see lock errors in PW even without SessionHandlerDB.

PS - That issue you pointed to is unfortunately not fully solved - I am still hoping Ryan might provide a better solution for that string issue.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, adrian said:

@gebeer - are you running PHP8? If so, it might make a difference if you update to the latest Tracy - back in March there was an update to the Tracy core (which is PHP 8 only, although I maintain older versions within the package for those on older PHP versions so upgrading won't hurt).

The other thing to make sure is that the "Use Native PHP Session" setting is unchecked.

If those don't help, I am not sure what to do at this point - I can't count the amount of time I have spent workaround issues with SessionHandlerDB and Tracy.

Yes, PHP8.1 that is. I updated to latest version. Still same problem. Use Native PHP Session is unchecked. Thanks for all the effort you put into Tracy! We might just resort to not using SessionHandlerDB. The site is in development and about 1 month away from launch. Pre launch we will update PW to latest dev and test again. Maybe that thelps.

4 hours ago, Robin S said:

Are we sure Tracy is causing the error as opposed to only reporting the error? As in, maybe the session lock times out regardless of whether Tracy is installed, but without Tracy installed you never learn about it. The timeout is a configurable setting in SessionHandlerDB so maybe the solution is that if you expect to run tasks that can take longer than the 50 second default you increase that setting, or if the long task is triggered by your own code do a $session->close() immediately before the task.

Or is the sort of exception thrown by SessionHandlerDB when the lock times out supposed to be more silent? There was a Tracy issue similar to that but it was fixed a while back: https://github.com/adrianbj/TracyDebugger/issues/58

I am not sure because I don't see Tracy anywhere in the backtrace. I can only tell that the error doesn't appear when Tracy is disabled. The reported error:

Fatal error: Exception: Unable to obtain lock for session (retry in 30s) (in xxx/wire/modules/Session/SessionHandlerDB/SessionHandlerDB.module line 96) #0 [internal function]: ProcessWire\SessionHandlerDB->read('dbee8f43c207f5c...') #1 xxx/wire/core/Session.php(327): session_start(Array) #2 xxx/wire/core/Wire.php(413): ProcessWire\Session->___init() #3 xxx/wire/core/WireHooks.php(952): ProcessWire\Wire->_callMethod('___init', Array) #4 xxx/wire/core/Wire.php(484): ProcessWire\WireHooks->runHooks(Object(ProcessWire\Session), 'init', Array) #5 xxx/wire/core/Session.php(205): ProcessWire\Wire->__call('init', Array) #6 xxx/wire/core/ProcessWire.php(581): ProcessWire\Session->__construct(Object(ProcessWire\ProcessWire)) #7 xxx/wire/core/ProcessWire.php(315): ProcessWire\ProcessWire->load(Object(ProcessWire\Config)) #8 xxx/index.php(52): ProcessWire\ProcessWire->__construct(Object(ProcessWire\Config)) #9 {main} in xxx/index.php on line 64

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at xxx/index.php:64) in xxx/wire/core/WireHttp.php on line 1705

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at xxx/index.php:64) in xxx/wire/core/WireHttp.php on line 1705
Arrgh… Error: Exception: Unable to obtain lock for session (retry in 30s) (in /wire/modules/Session/SessionHandlerDB/SessionHandlerDB.module line 96) #0 [internal function]: ProcessWire\SessionHandlerDB->read('dbee8f43c207f5c...') #1 /wire/core/Session.php(327): session_start(Array) #2 /wire/core/Wire.php(413): ProcessWire\Session->___init() #3 /wire/core/WireHooks.php(952): ProcessWire\Wire->_callMethod('___init', Array) #4 /wire/core/Wire.php(484): ProcessWire\WireHooks->runHooks(Object(ProcessWire\Session), 'init', Array) #5 /wire/core/Session.php(205): ProcessWire\Wire->__call('init', Array) #6 /wire/core/ProcessWire.php(581): ProcessWire\Session->__construct(Object(ProcessWire\ProcessWire)) #7 /wire/core/ProcessWire.php(315): ProcessWire\ProcessWire->load(Object(ProcessWire\Config)) #8 /index.php(52): ProcessWire\ProcessWire->__construct(Object(ProcessWire\Config)) #9 {main} This error message was shown because: site is in debug mode. ($config->debug = true; => /site/config.php). Error has been logged.

Everytime that error happens, the site gets unresponsive for about a minute or so. After first reload I get another error reported by Tracy:

User Error

Exception: SQLSTATE[HY000]: General error: 2006 MySQL server has gone away (in xxx/wire/core/PageFinder.php line 821)

#0 xxx/wire/core/Wire.php(419): ProcessWire\PageFinder->___find(Object(ProcessWire\Selectors), Array)
#1 xxx/wire/core/WireHooks.php(952): ProcessWire\Wire->_callMethod('___find', Array)
#2 xxx/wire/core/Wire.php(484): ProcessWire\WireHooks->runHooks(Object(ProcessWire\PageFinder), 'find', Array)
#3 xxx/wire/core/PagesLoader.php(424): ProcessWire\Wire->__call('find', Array)
#4 xxx/wire/core/Pages.php(289): ProcessWire\PagesLoader->find('template=admin,...', Array)
#5 xxx/wire/core/Wire.php(419): ProcessWire\Pages->___find('template=admin,...', Array)
#6 xxx/wire/core/WireHooks.php(952): ProcessWire\Wire->_callMethod('___find', Array)
#7 xxx/wire/core/Wire.php(484): ProcessWire\WireHooks->runHooks(Object(ProcessWire\Pages), 'find', Array)
#8 xxx/wire/core/PagesLoader.php(1917): ProcessWire\Wire->__call('find', Array)
#9 xxx/wire/core/Pages.php(244): ProcessWire\PagesLoader->count('template=admin,...', Array)
#10 xxx/wire/core/PagesEditor.php(1877): ProcessWire\Pages->count('template=admin,...')
#11 xxx/wire/core/Pages.php(1912): ProcessWire\PagesEditor->newPageOptions(Array)
#12 xxx/site/modules/RockMigrations/MagicPages.module.php(45): ProcessWire\Pages->newPage(Array)
#13 xxx/wire/core/WireHooks.php(1051): RockMigrations\MagicPages->RockMigrations\{closure}(Object(ProcessWire\HookEvent))
#14 xxx/wir … #20 {main}

And in that lifecycle there's also this warning

PHP Warning: session_write_close(): Failed to write session data using user defined save handler. (session.save_path: /usr/share/cgi-fpm/w01d84f4/tmp/) in Unknown

The whole thing remains mysterious to me. Unfortunately I can't reproduce it on local ddev so I can't step debug it. On staging we don't have xdebug available.

Anyways thanks to everyone for looking into this. As I said above, I'll test again when the site is ready to go live. Fortunately. the error occurs only when using the InputfieldSelector in SearchEngine's module settings. When using it with regular PageFinder, everything is ok.

@gebeer Could you try this version of the session handler (if you want some more testing :) )

Spoiler
<?php namespace ProcessWire;

/**
 * Session handler for storing sessions to database
 * @see /wire/core/SessionHandler.php
 * ProcessWire 3.x, Copyright 2021 by Ryan Cramer
 * https://processwire.com
 * @property int|bool $useIP Track IP address?
 * @property int|bool $useUA Track user agent?
 * @property int|bool $noPS Prevent more than one session per logged-in user?
 * @property int $lockSeconds Max number of seconds to wait to obtain DB row lock.
 * @property int $retrySeconds Seconds after which to retry after a lock fail.
 */

class SessionHandlerDB extends WireSessionHandler implements Module, ConfigurableModule {

public static function getModuleInfo() {
		return array(
			'title' => 'Session Handler Database - Experiment',
			'version' => "0.0.6",
			'summary' => "Installing this module makes ProcessWire store sessions in the database rather than the file system. Note that this module will log you out after install or uninstall.",
			'installs' => array('ProcessSessionDB')
		);
	}

/**
	 * Table created by this module
	 */
	const dbTableName = 'sessions';

/**
	 * Quick reference to database
	 * @var WireDatabasePDO
	 */
	protected $database;

/**
	 * Construct
	 */
	public function __construct() {
		parent::__construct();
		$this->set('useIP', 0); // track IP address?
		$this->set('useUA', 0); // track user agent?
		$this->set('noPS', 0); // disallow parallel sessions per user
		$this->set('lockSeconds', 50); // max number of seconds to wait to obtain DB row lock
		$this->set('retrySeconds', 30); // seconds after which to retry on a lock fail
	}

public function wired() {
		$this->database = $this->wire()->database;
		parent::wired();
	}

public function init() {
		parent::init();
		// keeps session active
		$this->wire()->session->setFor($this, 'ts', time());
		if($this->noPS) $this->addHookAfter('Session::loginSuccess', $this, 'hookLoginSuccess');
	}

/**
	 * Read and return data for session indicated by $id
	 * @param string $id Session ID
	 * @return string Serialized data or blank string if none
	 */
	public function read($id) {

$table = self::dbTableName;
		$database = $this->database;
		$data = '';

$locked = $this->_getLock($id);
		if(!$locked) {
			// 0: attempt timed out (for example, because another client has previously locked the name)
			// null: error occurred (such as running out of memory or the thread was killed with mysqladmin kill)
			//
			if($locked === null) {
				$this->wire()->log->save("session-errors", "NULL Lock return for session [$id]");
			} else {
				$this->wire()->log->save("session-errors", "0 (Zero) Lock return for session [$id]");
			}
			$this->wire()->shutdown->setFatalErrorResponse(array(
				'code' => 429, // http status 429: Too Many Requests (RFC 6585)
				'headers' => array("Retry-After: $this->retrySeconds"),
			));
			throw new WireException("Unable to obtain lock for session (retry in {$this->retrySeconds}s)", 429);
		}

$query = $database->prepare("SELECT data FROM `$table` WHERE id=:id");
		$query->bindValue(':id', $id);
		$database->execute($query);

if($query->rowCount()) {
			$data = $query->fetchColumn();
			if(empty($data)) $data = '';
		}

$query->closeCursor();

return $data;
	}

/**
	 * Attempt to gain the named lock.
	 * Each time a lock is obtained by the read() method,
	 * the lock's usage count is incremented in MySQL.
	 */
	protected function _getLock(string $id) {
		$lockq = $this->database->prepare('SELECT GET_LOCK(:id, :seconds)');
		$lockq->bindValue(':id', $id);
		$lockq->bindValue(':seconds', $this->lockSeconds, \PDO::PARAM_INT);
		$this->database->execute($lockq);
		$locked = $lockq->fetchColumn();
		$lockq->closeCursor();
		return $locked;
	}

/**
	 * Release the given lock id if we own it.
	 * Attempts to release as many times as needed in case there
	 * has been a 2nd call to read() via user code calling session_reset().
	 * This is needed as each call to read(id) increments the lock count,
	 * so we need to release the lock as many times as we locked it.
	 */
	protected function _releaseLock(string $id) {
		$unlockq = $this->database->prepare('SELECT RELEASE_LOCK(:id)');
		$unlockq->bindValue(':id', $id);
		do {
			$this->database->execute($unlockq);
			$unlocked = $unlockq->fetchColumn();
		} while ($unlocked);
		$unlockq->closeCursor();
	}

/**
	 * Write the given $data for the given session ID
	 * @param string $data Serialized data to write
	 * @return bool
	 */
	public function write($id, $data) {
        $result = false;
        try {
            $user = $this->wire()->user;
            $page = $this->wire()->page;
            $user_id = $user && $user->id ? (int) $user->id : 0;
            $pages_id = $page && $page->id ? (int) $page->id : 0;
            $ua = ($this->useUA && isset($_SERVER['HTTP_USER_AGENT'])) ? substr(strip_tags($_SERVER['HTTP_USER_AGENT']), 0, 255) : '';
            $ip = '';

if($this->useIP) {
                $session = $this->wire()->session;
                $ip = $session->getIP();
                $ip = (strlen($ip) && strpos($ip, ':') === false ? ip2long($ip) : '');
                // @todo DB schema for ipv6
            }

$binds = array(
                ':id' => $id,
                ':user_id' => $user_id,
                ':pages_id' => $pages_id,
                ':data' => $data,
            );

$s = "user_id=:user_id, pages_id=:pages_id, data=:data";

if($ip) {
                $s .= ", ip=:ip";
                $binds[':ip'] = $ip;
            }
            if($ua) {
                $s .= ", ua=:ua";
                $binds[':ua'] = $ua;
            }

$sql = "INSERT INTO $table SET id=:id, $s ON DUPLICATE KEY UPDATE $s, ts=NOW()";

$query = $database->prepare($sql);
            foreach($binds as $key => $value) {
                $type = is_int($value) ? \PDO::PARAM_INT : \PDO::PARAM_STR;
                $query->bindValue($key, $value, $type);
            }
            $result = $database->execute($query, false) ? true : false;
            $query->closeCursor();
        } catch(\Throwable $e) {
            /* if ($e instanceof \Exception) { */
            /*     $this->trackException($e); */
            /* } else { */
            /* } */
            $this->wire()->log->save("session-errors", "Intercepted throwable A: " . $e->getMessage());
        } finally {
            try {
				$this->_releaseLock($id);
            } catch(\Throwable $e) {
                /* $this->trackException($e); */
                $this->wire()->log->save("session-errors", "Intercepted throwable B: " . $e->getMessage());
            }
        }

return $result;
	}

/**
	 * Destroy the session indicated by the given session ID
	 * @return bool True on success, false on failure
	 */
	public function destroy($id) {
		$config = $this->wire()->config;
		$query = $database->prepare("DELETE FROM `$table` WHERE id=:id");
		$query->execute(array(":id" => $id));
		$secure = $config->sessionCookieSecure ? (bool) $config->https : false;
		$expires = time() - 42000;
		$samesite = $config->sessionCookieSameSite ? ucfirst(strtolower($config->sessionCookieSameSite)) : 'Lax';

if($samesite === 'None') $secure = true;

if(PHP_VERSION_ID < 70300) {
			setcookie(session_name(), '', $expires, "/; SameSite=$samesite", $config->sessionCookieDomain, $secure, true);
		} else {
			setcookie(session_name(), '', array(
				'expires' => $expires,
				'path' => '/',
				'domain' => $config->sessionCookieDomain,
				'secure' => $secure,
				'httponly' => true,
				'samesite' => $samesite
			));
		}

$this->_releaseLock($id);

return true;
	}

/**
	 * Garbage collection: remove stale sessions
	 * @param int $seconds Max lifetime of a session
	 * @return bool True on success, false on failure
	 */
	public function gc($seconds) {
		$seconds = (int) $seconds;
		$sql = "DELETE FROM `$table` WHERE ts < DATE_SUB(NOW(), INTERVAL $seconds SECOND)";
		return $this->database->exec($sql) !== false;
	}

/**
	 * Install sessions table
	 */
	public function ___install() {

$charset = $this->wire()->config->dbCharset;

$sql = 	"CREATE TABLE `$table` (" .
				"id CHAR(32) NOT NULL, " .
				"user_id INT UNSIGNED NOT NULL, " .
				"pages_id INT UNSIGNED NOT NULL, " .
				"data MEDIUMTEXT NOT NULL, " .
				"ts TIMESTAMP NOT NULL DEFAULT CURRENT_TIMESTAMP, " .
				"ip INT UNSIGNED NOT NULL DEFAULT 0, " .
				"ua VARCHAR(250) NOT NULL DEFAULT '', " .
				"PRIMARY KEY (id), " .
				"INDEX (pages_id), " .
				"INDEX (user_id), " .
				"INDEX (ts) " .
				") ENGINE=InnoDB DEFAULT CHARSET=$charset";

$this->database->query($sql);
	}

/**
	 * Drop sessions table
	 */
	public function ___uninstall() {
		$this->database->query("DROP TABLE " . self::dbTableName);
	}

/**
	 * Session configuration options
	 * @param array $data
	 * @return InputfieldWrapper
	 */
	public function getModuleConfigInputfields(array $data) {

$modules = $this->wire()->modules;
		$form = $this->wire(new InputfieldWrapper());

// check if their DB table is the latest version
		$query = $this->database->query("SHOW COLUMNS FROM " . self::dbTableName . " WHERE field='ip'");
		if(!$query->rowCount()) {
			$modules->error("DB format changed - You must uninstall this module and re-install before configuring."); 
			return $form;
		}

$description = $this->_('Checking this box will enable the data to be displayed in your admin sessions list.');

/** @var InputfieldCheckbox $f */
		$f = $modules->get('InputfieldCheckbox');
		$f->attr('name', 'useIP');
		$f->attr('value', 1);
		$f->attr('checked', empty($data['useIP']) ? '' : 'checked');
		$f->label = $this->_('Track IP addresses in session data?');
		$f->description = $description;
		$form->add($f);

$f->attr('name', 'useUA');
		$f->attr('value', 1);
		$f->attr('checked', empty($data['useUA']) ? '' : 'checked');
		$f->label = $this->_('Track user agent in session data?');
		$f->notes = $this->_('The user agent typically contains information about the browser being used.');
		$f->description = $description;
		$form->add($f);

$f->attr('name', 'noPS');
		$f->attr('value', 1);
		$f->attr('checked', empty($data['noPS']) ? '' : 'checked');
		$f->label = $this->_('Disallow parallel sessions?');
		$f->notes = $this->_('When enabled, successful login expires all other sessions for that user on other devices/browsers.');
		$f->description = $this->_('Checking this box will allow only one single session for a logged-in user at a time.');
		$form->add($f);

/** @var InputfieldInteger $f */
		$f = $modules->get('InputfieldInteger');
		$f->attr('name', 'lockSeconds');
		$f->attr('value', $this->lockSeconds);
		$f->label = $this->_('Session lock timeout (seconds)');
		$f->description = sprintf(
			$this->_('If a DB lock for the session cannot be obtained in this many seconds, a “%s” error will be sent, telling the client to retry again in %d seconds.'), 
			$this->_('429: Too Many Requests'),
		);
		$form->add($f);

if(ini_get('session.gc_probability') == 0) {
			$form->warning(
				"Your PHP has a configuration error with regard to sessions. It is configured to never clean up old session files. " . 
				"Please correct this by adding the following to your <u>/site/config.php</u> file: " .
				"<code>ini_set('session.gc_probability', 1);</code>",
				Notice::allowMarkup
			);
		}

return $form;
	}

/**
	 * Provides direct reference access to set values in the $data array
	 * For some reason PHP 5.4+ requires this, as it apparently doesn't see WireData
	 * @param string $key
	 * @param mixed $value
	 * @return void
	 */
	public function __set($key, $value) {
		$this->set($key, $value);
	}

/**
	 * Provides direct reference access to variables in the $data array
	 * For some reason PHP 5.4+ requires this, as it apparently doesn't see WireData
	 * Otherwise the same as get()
	 * @param string $key
	 * @return mixed
	 */
	public function __get($key) {
		return $this->get($key);
	}

/**
	 * Return the number of active sessions in the last 5 mins (300 seconds)
	 * @param int $seconds Optionally specify number of seconds (rather than 300, 5 minutes)
	 * @return int
	 */
	public function getNumSessions($seconds = 300) {
		$sql = "SELECT COUNT(*) FROM " . self::dbTableName . " WHERE ts > DATE_SUB(NOW(), INTERVAL $seconds SECOND)";
		$query = $this->database->query($sql);
		$numSessions = (int) $query->fetchColumn();
		return $numSessions;
	}

/**
	 * Get the most recent sessions
	 * Returns an array of array for each session, which includes all the
	 * session info except or the 'data' property. Use the getSessionData()
	 * method to retrieve that.
	 * @param int $seconds Sessions up to this many seconds old
	 * @param int $limit Max number of sessions to return
	 * @return array Sessions newest to oldest
	 */
	public function getSessions($seconds = 300, $limit = 100) {

$limit = (int) $limit;

$sql = 	"SELECT id, user_id, pages_id, ts, UNIX_TIMESTAMP(ts) AS tsu, ip, ua " .
				"FROM " . self::dbTableName . " " .
				"WHERE ts > DATE_SUB(NOW(), INTERVAL $seconds SECOND) " .
				"ORDER BY ts DESC LIMIT $limit";

$query = $this->database->prepare($sql);
		$query->execute();

$sessions = array();
		while($row = $query->fetch(\PDO::FETCH_ASSOC)) {
			$sessions[] = $row;
		}

return $sessions;
	}

/**
	 * Return all session data for the given session ID
	 * Note that the 'data' property of the returned array contains the values
	 * that the user has in their $session.
	 * @param $sessionID
	 * @return array Blank array on fail, populated array on success.
	 */
	public function getSessionData($sessionID) {
		$sql = "SELECT * FROM " . self::dbTableName . " WHERE id=:id";
		$query = $this->database->prepare($sql);
		$query->bindValue(':id', $sessionID);
		$this->database->execute($query);
		if(!$query->rowCount()) return array();
		$row = $query->fetch(\PDO::FETCH_ASSOC) ;
		$sess = $_SESSION; // save
		session_decode($row['data']);
		$row['data'] = $_SESSION;
		$_SESSION = $sess; // restore
		return $row;
	}

/**
	 * Upgrade module version
	 * @param int $fromVersion
	 * @param int $toVersion
	 */
	public function ___upgrade($fromVersion, $toVersion) {
		// $this->message("Upgrade: $fromVersion => $toVersion");
		// if(version_compare($fromVersion, "0.0.5", "<") && version_compare($toVersion, "0.0.4", ">")) {
		if($fromVersion <= 4 && $toVersion >= 5) {
			$sql = "ALTER TABLE $table MODIFY data MEDIUMTEXT NOT NULL";
			$query = $database->prepare($sql);
			$query->execute();
			$this->message("Updated sessions database for larger data storage", Notice::log);
		}
	}

/**
	 * Hook called after Session::loginSuccess to enforce the noPS option
	 * @param HookEvent $event
	 */
	public function hookLoginSuccess(HookEvent $event) {
		if(!$this->noPS) return;
		/** @var User $user */
		$user = $event->arguments(0);
		$query = $this->database->prepare("DELETE FROM `$table` WHERE user_id=:user_id AND id!=:id");
		$query->bindValue(':id', session_id());
		$query->bindValue(':user_id', $user->id, \PDO::PARAM_INT);
		$query->execute();
		$n = $query->rowCount();
		if($n) $this->message(sprintf(
			$this->_('Previous login session for “%s” has been removed/logged-out.'),
			$user->name
		));
		$query->closeCursor();
	}

}

Prevents possible re-throwing of logged exceptions leading to bypass of lock releases in the write() handler.

Could you also let me know what your value of $config->allowExceptions is set to?