Mac Book Pro with Retina - Experience

Wanze

My 15" Mac Book Pro from 2010 gets slower and slower and I'm planning to buy a new one soon.

SSD, more RAM and a better CPU makes the new McBooks fast.

The remaining question is: With or without Retina-Display.

Can anyone share some experience with the retina display?

For example I know that smaller images on websites look blurry because of the higher resolution of the retina.

Also what about apps that aren't optimized for retina:

• Working with photoshop?
  • Coding?

Greetings,

I have the new MacBook 15" with Retina display.  Compared with a 3-year-old MacBook, which it replaced, I would say I don't yet notice much a difference regarding the "retina" resolution.  Probably, as development with sites continues, we will see more of a difference in the coming months and years.

Thanks,

Matthew

Hi Wanze,

In my opinion, Retina display is the way to go. If you think about it, Apple is rapidly discontinuing their non-Retina products, and app support for this type of display is increasing at a very fast pace. For example, Photoshop and Sublime Text 2 both support Retina displays. With this in mind, I can't help but think that buying a non-retina MBP at this point in time is buying an outdated product.

Now, having said that, the first generation of retina MBPs have come with their fair share of problems, mainly to do with image retention issues and lagging problems. The image retention issue seems to be particularly prevalent, as documented here:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4034848?start=0&tstart=0

Truth be told, I don't have a Retina MBP, so my exposure to it is limited to my frequent trips to my local Apple store :) I do have a 2012 27'' iMac and couldn't be happier with it!

I hope that helps, and please keep us posted on your final decision!

Claudio

• 2 weeks later...

Matthew, Claudio

Thanks for your comments and suggetions!!

I received the new MacBook this week with the Retina display.

Impressive how sharp everything looks, especially text! The only downside are the images on websites:

There's even a higher contrast seeing this sharp text and the blurry images next to each other.

But after 2 days, I already got used to it :)

Thanks again!