Do you monitor your PW logfiles?

bernhard

Today I've had a site with a logfile that has grown to 70MB over the years... PW is so low-maintenance that I usually just deploy and forget 🙂 

Now while having that 70MB is not really an issue - all parameters still by far in the greens - it's definitely something that could be improved. So I'm wondering: Do you do regular maintenance on your site? Or do you have a script in place that prunes logfiles?

I could think of some kind of notification system that sends me an email if one of the logfiles grows over a defined filesize. Or a cronjob that automatically prunes logs to x days.

What dou you think? How do you handle logs?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bernhard said:

Today I've had a site with a logfile that has grown to 70MB

Welcome to my world... kind of.

Do you do regular maintenance on your site?

My main hoster and most other setups I know handle log file rotation by default - so files don't grow that large and older log files will be deleted after either a few weeks/months or in case there are too many files in the folder.

Can't remember the tool you use but it should have something like this as well. I remember Webmin had something back in the days.

How do you handle logs?

In bigger projects and when the client wants me to take care of most of the things I check the log files at least weekly - or when using a CDN - monthly and then dig through error-logs.

20 hours ago, wbmnfktr said:

My main hoster and most other setups I know handle log file rotation by default - so files don't grow that large and older log files will be deleted after either a few weeks/months or in case there are too many files in the folder.

Since bernhard didn't clarify, I think he's referring to ProcessWire logs, not system or server logs. My host handles rotation of server log files, but not log files generated by scripts installed by me; does yours (that'd be both neat and scary!)? So, I believe the maintenance being discussed here are the log files found in site/assets/logs/*...?

Thus far: deploy and forget, but now I'm going to have to look!!! I'd personally be fine with keeping logs to a maximum number of days old. If I wasn't around or didn't check on something more than 30 days prior it's unlikely I'd be interested in it - though that's just me.

• Like 1

• bernhard changed the title to Do you monitor your PW logfiles?
1 hour ago, BrendonKoz said:

Since bernhard didn't clarify, I think he's referring to ProcessWire logs, not system or server logs. My host handles rotation of server log files, but not log files generated by scripts installed by me; does yours (that'd be both neat and scary!)? So, I believe the maintenance being discussed here are the log files found in site/assets/logs/*...?

Yeah, sorry, been talking about the PW logfiles of course 🙂 That's why I posted it in "PW general support" and not "dev talk", but I changed the post title to make it more obvious, thx!

Now I understand the answer of @wbmnfktr better 😄 

I'm not sure yet if I really like to auto-prune logs to a given size/length/age... I think I'd prefer to get an email when logs grow too much.

9 hours ago, MarkE said:

That’s what I do. Part of a regular cron batch job. 

Do you have some code to share with us?

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, bernhard said:

Do you have some code to share with us?

Simples:

In init.php

wire()->addHook('LazyCron::everyDay', null, 'batchRun');

and then in your hook:

wire()->log->prune('debug', $days);

where $days is set however you want

In my case I aded a cronjob to access the site at night so that the LazyCron fires then.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Ok a client wanted me to do some gdpr imrovements so I added this to my Site.module.php 🙂 

public function init()
  {
    $this->wire->addHookAfter('LazyCron::everyDay', $this, 'gdpr');
  }

public function gdpr()
  {
    // delete old rockforms logs
    $logs = $this->wire->pages->find([
      'template' => RockFormsLogPage::tpl,
      ['created', '<', time() - RockMigrations::oneMonth],
      'include' => 'all', // also trashed pages!
    ]);
    foreach ($logs as $log) $log->delete();

// delete old processwire logs
    $this->wire->log->pruneAll(30);
  }

So RockMigrations just got an update to support time constants:

// time constants (seconds)
  // see https://i.imgur.com/vfTasHa.png
  const oneMinute = 60;
  const oneHour = self::oneMinute * 60;
  const oneDay = self::oneHour * 24;
  const oneWeek = self::oneDay * 7;
  const oneMonth = self::oneDay * 30;
  const oneYear = self::oneDay * 365;

vfTasHa.png

And I also found there is $wire->log->pruneAll($days) which is also handy 🙂

Again PW has all the tools to make very custom needs possible with just a few simple lines of code!

• Like 1