TextformatterFoonotes

monollonom

TextformatterFootnotes

Github: https://github.com/eprcstudio/TextformatterFootnotes
Modules directory: https://processwire.com/modules/textformatter-footnotes/

This textformatter adds footnotes using Markdown Extra’s syntax, minus Markdown

screenshot

About

This textformatter was primarly created to ease the addition of footnotes within HTML textareas (CKEditor or TinyMCE) using Markdown Extra’s syntax. It will also retain any inline formatting tags that are whitelisted.

Usage

To create a footnote reference, add a caret and an identifier inside brackets ([^1]). Then add the footnote in its own line using another caret and number inside brackets with a colon and text ([^1]: My footnote.). It will be put automatically inside the footnotes block at the end of the text.

Notes:

• the identifier has to be a number but it is permissive in that you can put in the wrong order and it will be numbered back sequentially
  • there is no support for indentation, though since <br> tags are allowed you should be fine
  • if a footnote has no corresponding reference, it will be ignored and left as is

Options

In the module settings, you can change the icon (string) used as the backreference link but also the classes used for the wrapper, the reference and backreference links. You can also edit the list of whitelisted HTML tags that won’t be removed in the footnotes.

Hook

If you want to have a more granular control over the footnotes (e.g. per field), you can use this hook:

$wire->addHookBefore("TextformatterFootnotes::addFootnotes", function(HookEvent $event) {
	$str = $event->arguments(0);
	$options = $event->arguments(1);
	$field = $event->arguments(2);

if($field != "your-field-name") return;

// Say you want to change the icon for a <svg>
	$options["icon"] = file_get_contents("{$event->config->paths->templates}assets/icons/up.svg");
	// Or change the wrapper’s class
	$options["wrapperClass"] = "my-own-wrapper-class";

// Put back the updated options array
	$event->arguments(1, $options);
});

Check the source code for more options.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Small thing, I was getting an error without any custom options defined.

As is, the line where you set up the arguments:

public function ___addFootnotes($str, $options = [], $field = "") {

This results in an error if you do not pass an additional options array - e.g. just a $str and $field.

An error on line 83 array_merge results - second argument is not an array.

I didn't pull the repo via git so I can't do a PR handily, but reversing the parameter order resolves it. 

public function ___addFootnotes($str, $field = "", $options = []) {

• Like 1

Quick question regarding your usage: were you calling the function on its own? Or was it through the textformatter applied to a text field?

What I could do is check if $options is not an array and in this case assume it's $field, but the $field argument is not used within the function as it's just there so you can do field-specific stuff using the hook.

Edit: oh wait I just saw my mistake... on line 44 😵

• Like 2