new install - how I can get rid of the markup regions?

gunter

Right here: https://processwire.com/download/site-profiles/

But keep in mind:

Spoiler

Working with site profiles

How to install a site profile

1. You must first have a copy of ProcessWire that has not yet gone through the installation process.

2. Extract and copy the site profile files into a /site-name/ directory in your web root (or wherever ProcessWire’s install.php file is located). Replace the name part of site-name with the name of the profile, i.e. site-regular or site-languages, etc.

3. Open the URL where you've copied ProcessWire's files to in your web browser. The installer should start. When it asks you what site profile you want to install, you should see the profile you added available for selection. Select it and continue installation.

10 hours ago, gunter said:

I want normal delayed output - with php!!!

You always get normal delayed output out of the box, even if $config->useMarkupRegions is set to true by default. Markup Regions is never enforced, and even though it is turned on by default it just sits there to be used. If you do not need it, you can disable it for performance reasons, of course.

• Like 2

While @gunter's wording is maybe not the nicest (!, !!, !!!) I understand and also think that having markup regions in the blank profile is not a good idea. For someone not familiar with markup regions (or PW in general) that's an additional step to take and an additional thing to understand. It might be obvious for us, but I doubt it's obvious for many newcomers. I've realised that when working on the video about RockFrontend (https://youtu.be/7CoIj--u4ps?t=78).

Blank site profile

This site profile provides a nearly blank starting point with the minimum amount of fields, templates and modules installed. This site profile is useful to people that are already familiar with ProcessWire, already know what fields/templates they will need to create, and don't want to take the time to removing existing fields/templates they don't need from a site profile.

/site-blank/  This profile is already bundled with all current versions of ProcessWire.

I'd much more prefer if the blank profile would really be a blank profile. Without markup regions. Just plain PHP. With all the tools waiting for you if you want them, but not forcing you to use them in the beginning.

15 hours ago, gunter said:

unfortunately processwire is using markup regions, I don´t like that!! Why is it doing this?

You can read about the background here: https://processwire.com/blog/posts/starting-with-the-blank-profile/

• Like 3

On 2/25/2023 at 2:54 PM, bernhard said:

I'd much more prefer if the blank profile would really be a blank profile. Without markup regions. Just plain PHP. With all the tools waiting for you if you want them, but not forcing you to use them in the beginning.

Thank you for your answer and understanding! Yes, you´re right, it made me angry, because it´s totally against Processwire´s promise here https://processwire.com/about/why/

"The current CMS landscape and what’s wrong with it
Still other products have APIs that introduce so many new types of tags, bits and scraps to learn, that we find ourselves in a template system that's trying to hide the underlying programming language from us–or worse–bypassing it completely. The perspective of ProcessWire is that PHP is the most familiar and powerful template engine we could ask for, so we enthusiastically embrace it.""

• Like 2