Hooking into Inline CKEditor Saving

GKM490

Hi there,

I am trying to integrate Algolia into our website, and I'm wanting to hook into the saving of an inline CKEditor Content field on a page, so that when you double click, edit the content, and hit save, it updates the Search Index.

Currently, I have this hook in ready.php:

$this->addHookAfter('Pages::savedPageOrField', function(HookEvent $event) {
    $page = $event->arguments(0);
    wire('log')->save('debug', 'Saving Field');
});

Just to try and confirm that the event is executing, but when I save the content inline on a page, nothing gets added to my log. I have also tried with the Pages::savedField event and it also doesn't work. Is there a different hook I should be using?

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

I've had a look and found the issue: ready.php is never triggered on frontend editing. You can attach your hook in /site/init.php for example and then it should work.

The hooks are the same as for regular page saves: You can hook into Pages::saveReady or Pages::saved for example.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bernhard said:

I've had a look and found the issue: ready.php is never triggered on frontend editing. You can attach your hook in /site/init.php for example and then it should work.

This worked perfectly! I would never have guessed to put it in init.php. The commented line at the top:

When this file is called, the current $page has not yet been determined.

Made me think that I wouldn't be able to use $page = $event->arguments(0); to grab the necessary data about the page to save in the search index.

Thank you so much for the response. Much appreciated!

Glad it helped.

$page is not available OUTSIDE of your hook in init.php, but INSIDE the hook it is available since the inner part of the hook is executed at a different time (after/before Pages::saveReady or Pages::saved).

In your hook you get the saved page from the first argument of your HookEvent. That's why you do $page = $event->arguments(0)

See also https://processwire.com/talk/topic/18037-2-date-fields-how-to-ensure-the-second-date-is-higher/?do=findComment&comment=158164

Ohh I had been treating ready.php as init.php then. I only have hooks in ready.php and didn't realize that $page existed in that file outside the context of a hook. So that's what the comments at the top were referring to, haha.

Thanks for the clarification! That helps me understand the distinction. 🙂