How to unpublish in a multi language page the page in the "Default" language

ambipierni

Hello, I have the following problem, on the page I have several languages and there are pages that have to be seen in different languages, with activating and deactivating from configuration I can solve it, but the "Default" language does not have a check to deactivate.

1059313912_Capturadepantalla2023-02-07alas9_53_56.thumb.png.7a5d2401f65b958e67d4fa2c333eabae.png

• 1 month later...

Is there an answer for this? I would like to know this also.

I have considered (and it has been suggested before) that you could add a custom field for disabling the page in the default language. Then throw a 404 easily if that field is checked.

However the issue remains with any selectors, find() etc. that are listing pages. They correctly check for the "Active" checkbox for non-default languages, excluding pages in menus etc.. But you would have to manually update any existing selectors to exclude pages with this new field checked.

Unless there's a way to modify core selector process and exclude pages at the top level? Maybe with a hook on $pages->find()? I don't know if that's possible.

Edit: this is how I've done it, however I suspect I've probably missed something as I've not tested it thoroughly yet... exclude_in_default_language is a checkbox field 

$this->addHookBefore('PageRender::renderPage', function() {
    if(!$this->user->isSuperuser() && $this->user->language->id == $this->languages->getDefault()->id && $this->page->exclude_in_default_language == 1) {
        throw new Wire404Exception();
    }
});

$this->addHookBefore('Pages::find', function(HookEvent $event) {
    $selector = $event->arguments(0);
    if (
        !is_int($selector) && /* seemed to run into an issue with selectors like $pages->find(27) which loads the 404 page, this is just here to tackle that */
        !empty($selector) && /* not sure why this would ever happen but I think appending with a comma would be an issue if it did */
        $this->page->rootParent->id != 2 && /* exclude admin */
        $this->user->language->id == $this->languages->getDefault()->id
    ) {
        $selector = $event->arguments(0);
        $selector .= ', exclude_in_default_language<1';
        $event->arguments(0, $selector);
    }
});

Edit 2: Pagination might still be a problem, not sure if this works

Ideally I'd have used addHookBefore on the Pages:find, but I struggled in that case searching against a field that might not exist. 

Updated the hook to "before"

I should add that I imagine this whole thing would be better off in a module, and not using a field but some custom way to store and filter the data, however that's not something I have time for at the moment!

To me it seems a bit wild that this isn't possible by default. It's kind of like it's more of a "translated from English" module than a multi-lingual site.