Differences in various stats packages.

millipedia

So ... we're ditching Google Analytics for one of our sites (hooray) and switching it over to Fathom.

Because we wanted to be able to make a comparison between the old stats and the new ones we've had both installed on the site for a couple of months.
On top of that the site is behind Cloudflare so we also have stats directly from them.

I've just pulled together the stats for the last 30 days:

analytics_comparison.thumb.jpg.a8ca834c8a12832a48273067cfd29406.jpg

So thats:

37K visitors according to Google,
42K for Fathom
80K for Cloudflare

My guess is that a Google is both fussiest about tying requests to real people (cos hey that's what they're after), but also most likely to be blocked by ad blockers and privacy tools.
Fathom is probably less likely to be blocked by privacy tools; we use a bespoke domain which hopefully isn't blocked that often.
Cloudways isn't is going to be blocked by anything (it's gathering stats at sever level) but maybe is more lenient about what constitures a 'visitor'. I'm not really sure about that but it is a big jump from Google.

Anyway - I thought it was an interesting comparison and handy for when you need to explain to clients that analytics are useful for trends but not much cop if you're after real numbers.

• Like 4