ProcessBatcher

Wanze

Hi everyone!

With Batcher you can batch-edit and create Pages in the Pw Admin. If you install this module, you get a new Page "Batcher" under Setup.

Modules page: http://modules.processwire.com/modules/process-batcher/

Github: https://github.com/wanze/ProcessBatcher

post-582-0-04675500-1362135437_thumb.png post-582-0-62980800-1362135459_thumb.png

Editing

How does it work?

1. Search your pages with a selector. You can check if you want to include also hidden/unpublished pages with the filters.
  2. Select the pages you want to execute an action (the action only gets executed on "checked" pages).
  3. Select the action and if necessary, additional data like the new parent or the new template.
  4. Execute.

Supported actions:

• Publish/Unpublish Pages
  • Hide/Unhide Pages
  • Lock/Unlock Pages
  • Trash Pages
  • Delete Pages
  • Change Parent
  • Change Template

Batcher does the following permission checkings for the current user:

• Don't display pages that are not editable
  • Remove Actions if the user doesn't have the permissions (page-delete, page-move, page-template, page-lock)

Important notes:

When changing a template, data in fields of the old template which are not assigned to the new template gets deleted.

When changing the parent, the template of the new parent must accept the pages template as children. This is a setting in the template under "family".

Creating

How does it work?

1. Select a parent where your new pages will be added as children
  2. Add as many pages as you want by clicking "add Page"
  3. Click "Create Pages"

You must enter a title and choose a template. The name is optional: If left empty, Pw will generate this for you.

Includes permission checking and Family template restrictions. This means in detail:

• The selected parent must accept children and their template
  • The pages template must accept the parents template
  • User needs the permission to add children to the selected parents template
  • User needs the permission to create Pages for the chosen Template

Batch-creating tips

The chosen template and the statuses are always cloned from the last row. So if you need to add 30 pages

with the same template, define it first and the click "add Page" - it'll make your life easier ;-)

You can drag & drop the table rows should you want to change the order. The dragging looks ugly but it works.

For the lazy dogs and keybord hackers among us, you can add a new row by pressing "ctrl+n".
This works (at least in firefox) only if no input has focus. After adding a new row, the title input gets the focus.

By pressing 3 times tab you arrive at the published-checkbox, here the short-cut works.

Restrict Batcher for a user to only allow editing or creating

Create permissions "batcher-edit" and/or "batcher-add". As soon those exists, the module checks if the current

user has the permissions.

If you only need batch creating, check out the following module by Soma:

http://processwire.com/talk/topic/2138-process-tools-create-pages-wip/

Cheers

• Like 35

Looks awesome, thanks @Wanze! This'll come in handy especially for some of our bigger sites, I'm sure :)

@Luis: some things can't be unseen. Going to have difficult time maintaining serious expression while introducing this module to coworkers or clients, simultaneously avoiding this image of dancing badgers..

• Like 1

Thanks guys, let me know what you think and how I could improve the module.

Some possible actions to add:

- Change User

- Change Created-date

@SiNNut

To be honest, I knew that modx had a Tool called Batcher.

I was thinking some time of a good name and finally decided to name it Batcher too, not very creative I know :)

Batchman was another idea, based on Anti's Trashman.

My concern is that if someone sees the modules title or searches for it, the current name is more suitable than badger?

But I'm open for every suggestion, so maybe we can collect some ideas and make a poll? :)

• Like 1

Did quick test.

I don't see any Status in the results.

It doesn't see unpublished pages. It doesn't see hidden pages.

At the moment, the status(es) are displayed when a page is: unpublished, hidden, locked or trashed

So for a normal page there's no status.

I don't know, does it make sense to display also a status for the complement?

Published, not hidden, not locked, not trashed

Did you add "include=hidden" or "include=all" to your selector?

It would be nice. No I didn't, but also thought it should add that anyway for all, or maybe a checkbox to include all?

I can't sort the columns. I think there's an option to enable it in the DataTable.

• Like 1

Just comitted v 1.0.1 to Github:

- Added checkboxes for include=hidden, include=all so you no longer need to write those in the selector

- Made AdminDataTable sortable

- Each status is now in its own column - this means you can also sort the results by status

- Added message: number of pages found

post-582-0-09027000-1361218014_thumb.png

I initially disabled the sorting on the table because there was an issue with the checkbox in the first <th> which can be used to toggle all the checkboxes.

The solution is to disable the sorting of a specific column with jqueryTableSorter:

$.tablesorter.defaults.headers = {0:{sorter:false}};

...where 0 = first column, 1 = second and so on, should anyone else ever need this.

• Like 5

This looks like a great module Wanze!

I have a suggestion: It would be great to be able to click on the title of a page and open that page for editing in a lightbox overlay :) not sure how easy this is though.

I can see a great use for this as a quick SEO overview as the title, name (url) and parent (parent url) are shown. Further to that - it would be great to be able to have this available with reduced privileges for roles less than the superuser (with just the ability to see the list and perform actions applicable to their selected roles).

• Like 1